Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-13-2014, 12:33 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Carl Zeiss Jena 28mm f 2,8 Manuel

Hello there

I own a "Carl Zeiss Jena 28mm f2.8" lens manufacture under license in Japan.

Am I the only one on the forum?

Otherwise what do you think? I am personally quite satisfied although Manuel.Je have bought for 100 euros on YBAY .I give him a 9.

Thank you for your comment I do not know how to give an evaluation.

08-13-2014, 03:14 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bonjour,

Can you post an image of your CZJ lens?

What mount is it? Prakticar B or M42 ... ?

Salut, J
08-13-2014, 07:59 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you for your reply, I'm french and my English is that Google !!

My goal is to mount Pentax 49mm and the diameter of the filter to the photo I did not study the way to post

Christian

---------- Post added 08-13-14 at 08:00 AM ----------

Thank you for your reply, I'm french and my English is that Google !!

My goal is to mount Pentax 49mm and the diameter of the filter to the photo I did not study the way to post

Christian
08-13-2014, 06:28 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by raffin Quote
If it was made in Japan, it is not a Carl Zeiss Jena lens. The history here is bit complex, but it is enough to say that CZJ (the East German Zeiss company) did not make any lenses in Japan or any other country outside of the East Germany (DDR). My understainding is that there was a British distributor who had marketing rights to the name in Britain. That company re-labeled generic Japanese lenses as CZJ for sale in the UK.* There were a number of different lenses including some zooms in several different mounts, but none were designed by or made by CZJ. (Carl Zeiss Jena only made 35mm SLR lenses in M42, Exakta and Praktica B mount.) Another version of the story is that the "Carl Zeiss Jena" name was sold to a maker in Japan. Either way, the only thing Zeiss about your lens is the nameplate.

While your lens is not CZJ, that does not mean it is of poor quality or incapable of taking good photographs. Most no-name Japanese 28mm lenses are reasonably good and worthy of shooting with. What they are not worthy of is a price over $20 USD.

Steve

* I may be getting my stories mixed up. There are also made-in-Japan "Exakta" and and "Exaktar" lenses that have no connection to Ihagee, the maker of the Exakta camera. Ihagee did not make lenses.
Update...I found this in the middle of a huge thread on Japan CZJ : http://forum.manualfocus.org//viewtopic.php?#p125517 and following comments.

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-13-2014 at 07:02 PM.
08-14-2014, 12:21 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Merci pour ta reponse
Voici quelques phothttp://www.pentaxforums.http://wwwhttps://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=233...d=1408000789os
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
08-14-2014, 07:46 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Yep, that is a Japan-made faux CZJ. I always thought that the VEB Pentacon part was a bit humorous since Pentacon made mostly cameras and was a customer of the CZJ lens works. The word "licence" also caught my eye. The word is not commonly used in American English* and simply means that the lens maker had a document from Pentacon granting permission and nothing more.

Steve

* In American English "license" refers to both the document granting permission and the act of permitting. In British English the document is a "licence" and the act is "license".

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-14-2014 at 08:29 AM.
08-14-2014, 12:30 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by raffin Quote
Hello there

Am I the only one on the forum?

Otherwise what do you think? I am personally quite satisfied although Manuel.Je have bought for 100 euros on YBAY .I give him a 9.

Thank you for your comment I do not know how to give an evaluation.
i have one. it didn't really fit on my camera- turns out it had a ricoh pin issue. But it takes spectacularly sharp pics! haven't used it in a while.
enjoy it.

oh oh oh... it is the same as a Miranda lens.

Last edited by Liz_in_Calgary; 08-14-2014 at 12:35 PM. Reason: added some stuff
05-25-2015, 03:39 PM   #8

I have one too

I buyed it in Andorra, in January 1988. I believe it's a good lens. The mine is M42 mount.

There is more information: Carl Zeiss Jena II 28mm f2.8 Macro Japanse version

---------- Post added 05-25-15 at 03:52 PM ----------

I buyed it in 1988. It's M42 mount. I believe it's a good lens.

For more information: Carl Zeiss Jena II 28mm f2.8 Macro Japanse version

---------- Post added 05-25-15 at 03:55 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Admirator Quote
I buyed it in Andorra, in January 1988. I believe it's a good lens. The mine is M42 mount.

There is more information: Carl Zeiss Jena II 28mm f2.8 Macro Japanse version[COLOR="Silver"]
---------- Post added 05-25-15 at 03:52 PM ----------
06-01-2022, 07:31 AM - 1 Like   #9

This "Japanese CZJ" is made by Cosina and was a UK promotion.

Cosina offered the same lens under their own brand name. See - Carl Zeiss Jena II 28mm f2.8 Macro Japanse version. In the UK that was also sold as a "Miranda" brand by Dixon's stores.

Like all film era 28mm F2.8 the image quality now is very variable depending on its condition. The greatest risk is haze or fungus on the rear lens element that is closest to the sensor/film. Thius explains why so many people posting here give such different scores for image quality.

Most Cosina primes were very good - the 135mm f3.5 is outstanding.

Ultimately this was an amateur spec 28mm - so excellent for 7x5 prints or slideshows on a 4-5foot screen with transparencies. On digital, and with pixel peeping you will almost always see chromatic aberration and vignetting with mild barrel distortion. Putting that right needs aspeheric / high density lens elements, floating elements etc and explains why a modern zeiss / nikon / canon costs so much.

Find a good copy and be happy - but my favourite cheap "no-name" 28mm for PK mounts are the Japanese ones that give 1:5 or 1:4 "macro" close up and were sold under half-a dozen "brand names' or more - as they deliver a perspective at close focus that many "branded" lenses couldn't deliver in the film era. I even have one adapted to micro 4/3 where it delivers great portraits as a "55mm" type equivalent lens (once a popular focal length with examples made made by Pentax, Canon and Zenit-Helios)