Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
08-17-2014, 04:11 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've stopped using lens caps for the most part, at least when I'm taking my lenses out of the house. I keep my lens hoods on my lenses, so while my lenses are in my camera bag nothing is going to hit the front element anyway. And when the lenses are out of my camera bag, then that means I'm using them and don't want a lens cap anyway.

But when I was still using lens caps, they were kind of an annoyance. Sometimes I would put them in a pants or jacket pocket, other times I'd put them in a pocket on my camera bag. Or if I was in a hurry to get a shot, I would probably just drop the lens cap into my open camera bag and find it later. My new method is much simpler.

EDIT: I should clarify that on my longer lenses, like the 50-150mm f2.8 or 100-300mm f4, I do still use the lens cap, since they are too long to store in my camera bag with the hood in place. But 95% of the time my kit consists of my Sigma 8-16mm, 30mm 1.4, and 85mm 1.4.

08-17-2014, 05:12 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I just use one of those adhesive lens cap tethers with an elastic band that goes around the lens barrel. Unsnap the cap and let it dangle, swing, etc whatever. Picture on!
08-17-2014, 05:41 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Front pocket of the camera bag or in my jeans pocket if I am wearing them. I've never lost a lens cap yet, shrug.
08-17-2014, 06:36 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The real question is What to do with the ******* rear cap?

08-17-2014, 06:40 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can't tell you how many times I have nearly had a coronary on the spot when I misplace the lens caps for my FA limited lenses.

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
he real question is What to do with the ******* rear cap?
now that is the question. I put them on the lens I just removed from the camera.
08-17-2014, 06:43 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I can't tell you how many times I have nearly had a coronary on the spot when I misplace the lens caps for my FA limited lenses.
I had the chance to spend a few days with a Sony RX1 recently. That is a lens cap you would not want to loose. That thing is practically a work of art. But I guess when you're spending $2000 on a compact, fixed lens camera, you're entitled to a fancy, solid-metal lens cap.
08-17-2014, 07:13 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Some people glue two rear caps together and store the two lenses together. This way you never lose the rear cap.

The front cap is obviously a different story, depending upon how large the lens is. I doubt I could put the cap from my Sigma 120-300 f2.8 in my pocket as it's huge. They used to sell that lens with a slip-on cover that allowed storage with the hood on, but moved to a standard clip-on cap with the current model. I was thinking about trying to source a slip on cover as I really don't like the idea of storing that lens without a cap but do like leaving the hood on.

My pockets tend to get lint from tissues and so I try not to store the caps in my pocket. Some of the clips shown here are a neat idea to look into though and this has me wondering about fitting some kind of clip to a large lens.

08-17-2014, 08:45 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The real question is What to do with the ******* rear cap?
. . . . . now that is the question. I put them on the lens I just removed from the camera.
That would work (smacks forehead).

for 45 years . . . . .

Last edited by monochrome; 08-17-2014 at 08:59 PM.
08-17-2014, 08:48 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Since I'm right handed I remove the cap with my left hand. I have trained myself to put it in my left pants pocket. Always. And reach there for it when I want to replace it. Always.
This +1

---------- Post added 2014-08-18 at 12:49 ----------

he real question is What to do with the ******* rear cap?
now that is the question. I put them on the lens I just removed from the camera.
Same here. There's never not a lens on my camera, so the rear caps travel around to the lens that gets removed
08-17-2014, 09:04 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Well, I don't know why y'all don't just put 'em in your purse... You mean you don't carry a purse??

The snappy thing is a good idea, but I don't like the bulk it adds. Plus I would never be able to sit the lens on its front (unless I took the front cap off, but that kinda defeats the purpose, doesn't it?!).

In all seriousness, I carry a small camera bag instead of a purse these days. If I'm wearing blue jeans, the cap goes in my back pocket. (It's cool 'cause it looks like Skoal...) No pockets, it goes in the bag or purse I'm carrying. I've never lost a cap yet, knock on wood. Most of the time I get my camera out with intention and I take the cap off immediately, store it in pocket/bag, and leave it off for hours at a time while I'm in a photographic zone. I only put the cap back on when the camera sits, either in the bag or on the shelf at home. I don't let the lens wear the cap while I'm out and about and looking for photos.

Obviously, the rear caps move to the previous lens. My rear caps are all mismatched, but I do keep the lens caps on their respective and appropriate lenses.
08-18-2014, 04:22 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by severalsnakes Quote
You mean you don't carry a purse??
I'm a man.. my purse is already full of screwdrivers, wrenches, WD40,..

My problem with rear caps is that I have a bunch of different ones and I don't want to put one for manual lenses on a modern lens with contacts. And then there are m42 mount lenses.. I think I just need to buy a couple spares, that ought to make things easier
08-18-2014, 04:31 AM   #27

HACKxTACK Online Store

A slightly more elegant solution?
08-19-2014, 08:39 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
As many have said already.
Front cap in my pocket and rear cap on the previous lens. Unless of course I'm switching between M42 and K mount. I keep an extra K mount rear cap in my bag for such an occasion and in that case the M42 rear cap goes into my bag and vice versa.
08-19-2014, 11:13 AM - 1 Like   #29
Pentaxian

Since I'm right handed I remove the cap with my left hand. I have trained myself to put it in my left pants pocket. Always. And reach there for it when I want to replace it. Always.
This is exactly what I do, too. I haven't trained myself to bring my screw-on lens hoods with me yet, though. I'm still shielding the sun with my left hand like a stooge.
08-20-2014, 12:23 PM   #30
Veteran Member

I recently bought a neat little clip from B&H that attaches to any strap. At the moment, I have it attached to my camera backpack and I clip the cap to it.

Like a few others here, I usually just walk around with the lens hood attached and cap off. I try not to keep caps in my pockets... what are pockets usually full of? Lint. That gets all over the cap, and then it gets transferred onto the front element when you put the cap on. Check it yourself, look at the back side of the cap after it's been in your pocket for a bit, it will usually have a significant amount of lint/dust on it.