Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2008, 08:30 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Frank, you are so right about old Takumar lenses. They certainly have punchy colour and almost no PF.

Da* 16-50 fringes pretty bad as well (not as bad as my Fa ltd)

My worst experience about PF is on Fa 135mm f2.8 and A* 135mm f1.8; PF is macroscopicly intimidating!

I wished I could walk around the vicinity of the factories. I might be able to pick up some bargains

05-09-2008, 08:36 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
OMG

Aargh! Shock and horror!!!
Frank, your pictures and comments are a revelation.
My gripe about PF or CA is a trivial matter compared to the state of the DA70 you have posted.
Hope the optics weren't damaged.
This kind of thing should not happen, period.
05-09-2008, 08:54 PM   #18
Inactive Account

WOW! That is a revalation! For once, being poor is a good thing.

I've been jonesing for a superwide, or a good zoom lens in the 10-35 to 10-50 range. Looks like 3rd party is the choice for now - or maybe yet another old manual focus gem...
05-09-2008, 08:57 PM   #19
Veteran Member

eww, i didn't realize the FA43 fringed that poorly as well.
how far do you need to stop down the FA Limiteds to reduce this?

05-09-2008, 09:09 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TourDeForce Quote
Looks like 3rd party is the choice for now - or maybe yet another old manual focus gem...
3rd party lenses also have their share of horror stories...
I've had Sigmas with peeling exterior finishes, lens elements fogging and iffy QC in the past.

Well the saying "they don't make em like they used to" is so true.
Japanese precision manufacturing has had to migrate to places like Thiland, Philippines, Vietnam and China as a consequence of higher production costs and the need to maximise profits.
05-09-2008, 09:12 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
eww, i didn't realize the FA43 fringed that poorly as well.
how far do you need to stop down the FA Limiteds to reduce this?
That shot of the watch was at f/2.8. Obviously it was a difficult subject with very high contrast and metallic specular reflection. From my reckoning things seems to get better from f/4 onwards.
05-09-2008, 10:40 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Frank, that's lousy QC for sure. But the problem is not the lens design itself, but assembling. I suppose the quality of workers play an important part as they were hand assembled afterall. What happened is the turn of the helicoil should be set and limited by 3 screws (tightening from the front underneath the focus ring as you can see in your picture). But if the workers didn't do their job, the screws might not be tightened tight enough, or the liquid threadlock was not applied sufficently afterward, or both. When the screws didn't grip the rotating metal part secure enough, the front lens group will just come right off after some turns. This is a typical Pentax lens design for at least 3 decades so the design itself is proven (but cheap labour is not). That means if the technican did their job, the lens should be as good as old manual focus lenses.
05-10-2008, 01:37 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Purple... what?

My Pentax lenses don't do that.

100% crop

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo   

Last edited by Zewrak; 05-10-2008 at 01:45 AM.
05-10-2008, 02:07 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
Frank, that's lousy QC for sure. But the problem is not the lens design itself, but assembling. I suppose the quality of workers play an important part as they were hand assembled afterall. What happened is the turn of the helicoil should be set and limited by 3 screws (tightening from the front underneath the focus ring as you can see in your picture). But if the workers didn't do their job, the screws might not be tightened tight enough, or the liquid threadlock was not applied sufficently afterward, or both. When the screws didn't grip the rotating metal part secure enough, the front lens group will just come right off after some turns. This is a typical Pentax lens design for at least 3 decades so the design itself is proven (but cheap labour is not). That means if the technican did their job, the lens should be as good as old manual focus lenses.
Thanks Alan for the explanation. It's kinda funny (but sad) to see the DA70 lens in that kind of status: the whole glass elements being a part while the barrel and mount being another...

The CA/PF problem w/ most Pentax AF lenses is kinda strange though. Wonder how come many old manual lenses don't have much of the same problem. Even Sigma managed to make some lenses w/ very low CA/PF, don't see any reason why our Pentax cannot.
05-10-2008, 02:09 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zewrak Quote

Purple... what?

My Pentax lenses don't do that.

100% crop
You need to tell us what lens you used for this photos. Looks like a manual lens to me
05-10-2008, 03:22 AM   #26
Inactive Account

Mon dieu, Frank - that's horrible!

Frankly (no pun intended,) you shouldn't have to worry about repairs. Pentax should just send you a new one straight away.

I got flamed in another thread on saying that Pentax should put out more primes, and update their old lenses rather than rebadging Tokinas and Tamrons. They're very good lenses, but still, it just doesn't feel...Pentax.

I understand that it's been hard for Pentax these past few years, but I'm hoping Hoya can get 'em back on top.

The Tak's are legendary. People still use them, and I'm Pentax still have the rights and the blueprints to them. We still uses lenses like the f1.2 50mm K and A, the 24mms, the fast 85's...because there's nothing quite like them offered from Pentax at the moment.

And, dammit...APERTURE RING. MY KINGDOM FOR AN APERTURE RING.
05-10-2008, 05:10 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
You need to tell us what lens you used for this photos. Looks like a manual lens to me
a 20$ Super Takumar.
05-10-2008, 05:41 AM   #28

I don't like how the DFA 100mm Macro doesn't have a focus limiter switch.

And I'd like all zoom lenses to have a zoom lock switch. I really like the Tamron 28-75 build quality and the fact that is has a zoom lock switch.

The DA* build quality seems pretty tough though, my 16-50 feels about the same build quality as a friends Canon "L" glass.

Last edited by Maxington; 05-10-2008 at 05:42 AM. Reason: Typo.
05-10-2008, 06:00 AM   #29
Banned

QuoteQuote:
And, dammit...APERTURE RING. MY KINGDOM FOR AN APERTURE RING.
amen.

as for bringing back takumars..... well as long as they are assembled in japan by properly skilled and paid technicians as to ensure the quality and not tarnish the name any more than the bayonet takumars have then I would happily agree to that. I think pentax needs to properly bring back that glorious name. Takuma Kajiwara deserves better homage than current lenses could possibly offer.

Last edited by séamuis; 05-10-2008 at 06:05 AM.
05-10-2008, 06:07 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
amen.

as for bringing back takumars..... well as long as they are assembled in japan by properly skilled and paid technicians as to ensure the quality and not tarnish the name any more than the bayonet takumars have then I would happily agree to that. I think pentax needs to properly bring back that glorious name. Takuma Kajiwara deserves better homage than current lenses could possibly offer.
The lenses are out there still and they are cheaper then the new era of plastic. They still are very very competative in glass quality and they top the new ones in buildquality by far.

To be a bit philosophical, why on earth would people spend hundreds of dollars to get worse image quality, just to get autofocus? Is it really that valuable, not only monetary, but also qualitywise on the end product, the picture.