Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2008, 08:08 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
my $.02 on QC.

I have not yet run into any QC issues with Pentax. However I have worked in the telecom field for a long time and what some call QC is not what a vendor may call QC. Take fiber optic cables for example. When tested in the factory they are tested within known limits, bend radius, overall signal loss etc. Is actual data put through this cable before it ships out? No, just a light source at different frequnecies to test loss and other variables. So I would expect a factory test of a lens to be similar. Mount the lens on a test bed, make sure the appropriate amount of light is let through and make sure that a test image is rendered at the correct resolution. With the amount of lenses that need to be produced each company has only has so much time in the factory to test lenses before they ship. Otherwise every lens would be late to market.

In my experience it is when a lot of field failures occur that is when a company will start doing 100% inspection tests of each lot to make sure the product is working. In the long run returns/repairs cost more to the company's bottom line. So making sure new product is working by either changing manufacturing steps or testing procedures is warranted.

05-11-2008, 08:46 AM   #47
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by MrApollinax Quote
With the amount of lenses that need to be produced each company has only has so much time in the factory to test lenses before they ship. Otherwise every lens would be late to market.

In my experience it is when a lot of field failures occur that is when a company will start doing 100% inspection tests of each lot to make sure the product is working. In the long run returns/repairs cost more to the company's bottom line. So making sure new product is working by either changing manufacturing steps or testing procedures is warranted.
Based on that, I would figure there's lots of incentive to have very tight QC for the first month or so of production and have the product randomly and thoroughly field tested. This way they can avoid much of the return costs and subsequent hit on their perceived quality.

Lenses falling appart? Zoom buttons popping off? WTF ???
05-11-2008, 09:12 AM   #48
Veteran Member

I don't like the plastic filter threads at the end of my DA 50-200...

It always feels like I'm about to crossthread my filters when I screw them on that lens...

Pat
05-11-2008, 10:38 AM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TourDeForce Quote
Based on that, I would figure there's lots of incentive to have very tight QC for the first month or so of production and have the product randomly and thoroughly field tested. This way they can avoid much of the return costs and subsequent hit on their perceived quality.

Lenses falling appart? Zoom buttons popping off? WTF ???
You are correct. In my experience new product goes through extensive QC on many different levels from different groups the first few months of production. Once fabrication can be duplicated with satisfactory results smaller QC inspections are done, 50%, 25%, 10% then random spot checks in lots. Most obscure for me was certain units with random errors. Turns out there was a slight delay between the screen in the factory saying "pass" to when the unit itself was finished testing. So if the guy testing was a little too fast to get the unit off the testbed then the unit would have issues (easily fixed in the field) and if he was a little slow the units would be fine. Completely random occurring errors. Made my life miserable for about a month and a half. After figuring that out we changed the factory test procedure and tested each unit before shipments.

05-11-2008, 04:57 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
I think it would be naive to think they don't have any QC, but you're right about it needing to improve. My theory is they do have some people doing QC, but probably not Pentax staff doing QC, someone who's got something staked in the quality of the gear.

Methinks that a Pentax rep goes to the factory in Vietnam or wherever, gives a two-hour training session to the "QC" guy, and that's that. Pentax rep hits the next flight back to Osaka.

The guy back at the factory doesn't really do a good job, as what does he care if the lenses get screwed up? They'll get another contract from Panasonic or Sony or whoever to make lenses for them. In all probability, the QC guy will never get to use the lens, so what's it to him?

Or, maybe Tokina give Pentax the scraps.
I can assure you Pentax owns their factories and offices outside Japan and your inference that production/QC is somehow contracted out to a third party is incorrect.

PENTAX
05-12-2008, 02:08 AM   #51

It is sad, but low quality products is the price we have to pay for the things we demand and how the world goes nowadays.

When I bought my new k10D (3 months ago) I was so excited, finally I had entered the DSRL world. I arrived home, set everything up and took the family around to make the first nice picture... you know what happened? in-camera flash made his fatal first appearance and then broke forever. I had my camera replaced (of course) but that experience gives you a terrible feeling and I almost changed my opinion about Pentax.

Assambled in Philippines, Vietnam, wherever.. is the standard nowadays and I always have tha bad feeling that my new lens will turn into pieces if I used a lot, or that inside flash will explode, etc. How can we then expend $800 or $900 on a lens??

I will never sell my A50 f/1,7 !!
05-12-2008, 05:14 AM   #52
Banned

everytime I mount one of my many A series lenses it brings a smile to my face to see 'JAPAN' on the base of the barrel.
05-12-2008, 05:34 AM   #53
Forum Member

Elimination of the aperture ring. A false economy IMHO.

05-12-2008, 06:21 AM   #54
Veteran Member

CA is my problem with ALL pentax lenses I ever used, regardless of price.
05-12-2008, 06:38 AM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gkopeliadis Quote
CA is my problem with ALL pentax lenses I ever used, regardless of price.
Yup, same as mine. So I just learn how to avoid them
05-13-2008, 02:17 PM   #56
Veteran Member

I don't like that the hood on my FA43 doesn't screw on tight and stay tight. Or that a twist on the DA21 lens cap may start to unfasten its hood.

I don't like that the focus path has been shortened so much (for AF performance, I assume) that manual focus has become rather touchy and there are insufficient distance markings on the focus ring for useful focusing except for extreme close-focus--and that depth-of-field markings (if even present) are rendered nearly useless as well. I'm talking to you, DA21 and DA70!

I used to think that I hated the removal of aperture rings until I realized just how inconsistent and notchy they tend to be. Every lens feels different, and not always good. In-body aperture control makes EV 1/2 or 1/3 stop control straight forward, and allows the system to work more logically with variable-aperture zooms. Also, for the pancake lenses, removing the aperture ring allows more room for the focus ring and to grip the lens for unmounting.

I haven't been particularly bothered by CA/PF too much.
05-14-2008, 12:43 AM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vizjerei Quote
... I just learn how to avoid them...
You've sold all your Pentax Lenses?
05-14-2008, 01:22 AM   #58
Veteran Member

I want more decently priced primes.
05-14-2008, 01:30 AM   #59
Banned

as in new lenses or better prices on legacy glass? cause as long as pentax backwards compatibility is a big deal, and popularity of takumars with canon and nikon folks continues that wont readily happen. that and ebay is always ridiculous.
05-14-2008, 01:36 AM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
as in new lenses or better prices on legacy glass? cause as long as pentax backwards compatibility is a big deal, and popularity of takumars with canon and nikon folks continues that wont readily happen. that and ebay is always ridiculous.
As in new primes at reasonable prices. Where's my DA 50mm f/1.8?