Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 86 Likes Search this Thread
09-08-2016, 06:49 PM   #241
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by HopelessTogger Quote
Cactus RF60 with V6II HSS trigger?
Are you offering this as an example of lack of choice or as an alternative to P-TTL? Because flash is Greek to me...

The little I've read about the V6II is that it works with all the major brands, including Pentax, with the exception of Fuji...

09-08-2016, 07:01 PM   #242
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Are you offering this as an example of lack of choice or as an alternative to P-TTL? Because flash is Greek to me...

The little I've read about the V6II is that it works with all the major brands, including Pentax, with the exception of Fuji...
Alternative.

I've got six RF60's and the V6 and V6II triggers. Been HSS'ing to 1/8000th of a second no problem. I also recommend the Metz 64 AF-1.

A joy to use and not that much money.

I've asked ClassA (PF member) if the V6II's can be made to work on the Godox AD600 strobes, just waiting to find out.

Definitely get into TTL HSS flash, umbrellas, soft boxes and other light modifiers. I've gone bananas on it recently and dread to add up the cost. But it's fun, so who cares?
09-08-2016, 09:19 PM   #243
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by amazing_universe Quote
TAMRON | SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2

TAMRON SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2

New Lens Announced by Tamron USA. I wish they make this lens for Pentax Mount as well. Has anyone heard about it?

Lack of choices for Value for Money type of Telephoto lenses for pentax are pushing pentaxians towards Canon and Nikon.
Whatever is left is double in price. i.e. Sigma 100-300 f4 for Canon/Nikon is generally sold around 500, for pentax 1000. What's going on.

I am also now considering to sell my Pentax K3ii gear and move on to Canon.
Rumour has it that they have increased the IQ of the new Tamron 150-600 and if they have then it will be on a lot of budget wildlife photographers wish list. Time will tell if they will ever release the lens for pentax and if so it would be a lens that is needed. With just the release of the mega tele zooms of the last few years I have started to see less and less of the people I photograph with bringing along there 500 F4 and 300 F2.8 in favor of the savings these lenses offer in weight and flexibility. and only bring the big guns when they need the F4 and F2.8 lenses primes. If the new tarmon is anything like the sigma sport then there will be a lot of happy tarmon shooters out there
Still a shame its not in pentax mount
09-09-2016, 12:09 AM - 1 Like   #244
Veteran Member

The only way to be unhappy when you just jumped to a new system is not to test the combo before buying it (and some additional lenses also). Everyone has different needs and expectations so buying a new system based on reviews from the internet is not a very inspired decision. You also have to see the level of support you will get in your country once you attempt to jump into a new system (lenses available, service, renting posibilities, flash system, etc.).

That being said, once you know how to handle a camera, you can get very good images with cameras from any brand (Pentax, Canon, Nikon, Fuji, Sony, Olympus, etc.). Given the fact that this thread is about having a longer focal lenght than the Pentax 150-450mm (without spending a fortune to buy it), I already posted a few images that I took with Sigma 150-600mm lens (C version). In my opinion this lens (and I'm pretty sure the new Tamron lens also) is worth the money.

Regarding the comparation of this lens with DA* 300mm, my observations based on the fact that I've shoot with both lenses more than once are:

1. Af - is a tad faster than the DA* 300mm lens (I used the DA* lens with K-3 II) and even faster if we compare it with DA*300mm lens + 1.4xTC
2. Build quality - DA* 300mm lens is way better build
3. Versatility - Sigma gives you much more options in the field
4. Image quality - too bad we can't compare these lenses on the same body, but if I had to guess, I think the DA*300mm will be sharper (but with TC added on the Pentax lens...you'll not probably going to see any difference)

For wildlife, if I have to choose between these 3 lenses (DA* 300mm, Pentax 150-450mm, Sigma 150-600mm C or S version), DA* 300mm it will be my last choice.

---------- Post added 09-09-16 at 07:27 AM ----------

Alternative.

I've got six RF60's and the V6 and V6II triggers. Been HSS'ing to 1/8000th of a second no problem. I also recommend the Metz 64 AF-1.

A joy to use and not that much money.

I've asked ClassA (PF member) if the V6II's can be made to work on the Godox AD600 strobes, just waiting to find out.

Definitely get into TTL HSS flash, umbrellas, soft boxes and other light modifiers. I've gone bananas on it recently and dread to add up the cost. But it's fun, so who cares?
It looks like Godox is going to come to Pentax. This trigger looks identical to Godox X1T. I do have some Godox flashes (2 AD180, 1 AD360 and 1 TT685) and they are reliable. Worth the wait...

Flashpoint R2 TTL Transmitter for Pentax FP-RR-R2-T-PN

Last edited by Dan Rentea; 09-09-2016 at 03:29 AM.
09-09-2016, 12:34 AM - 1 Like   #245
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is no point on further debates on the subject. Dan put it right here as many others before. If you are a Pentax user you have to wait for the new lensmap for anyhting new in the super tele category (that at some point will come). OTOH if we are lucky Tamron or Sigma might release some of their lenses in K-mount, but this is less probable in my opinion. Until then there are two very good lenses DA* 300 and the DFA 150-450 that provide the long reach.

I'm not worried that Pentax won't release more teles (I believe mostly primes) as it is developing her lens arsenal and also she has great tradition in such high end lenses. If Pentax never had great pro lenses like those I would consider adopting another system for tele-photography that I'm into. Now I just have to wait for something longer and brighter than the 150-450 and until then improve my techniques and exploiting this excellent (for my needs) lens.
09-09-2016, 04:37 AM - 1 Like   #246
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
The only way to be unhappy when you just jumped to a new system is not to test the combo before buying it (and some additional lenses also). Everyone has different needs and expectations so buying a new system based on reviews from the internet is not a very inspired decision. You also have to see the level of support you will get in your country once you attempt to jump into a new system (lenses available, service, renting posibilities, flash system, etc.).

That being said, once you know how to handle a camera, you can get very good images with cameras from any brand (Pentax, Canon, Nikon, Fuji, Sony, Olympus, etc.). Given the fact that this thread is about having a longer focal lenght than the Pentax 150-450mm (without spending a fortune to buy it), I already posted a few images that I took with Sigma 150-600mm lens (C version). In my opinion this lens (and I'm pretty sure the new Tamron lens also) is worth the money.

Regarding the comparation of this lens with DA* 300mm, my observations based on the fact that I've shoot with both lenses more than once are:

1. Af - is a tad faster than the DA* 300mm lens (I used the DA* lens with K-3 II) and even faster if we compare it with DA*300mm lens + 1.4xTC
2. Build quality - DA* 300mm lens is way better build
3. Versatility - Sigma gives you much more options in the field
4. Image quality - too bad we can't compare these lenses on the same body, but if I had to guess, I think the DA*300mm will be sharper (but with TC added on the Pentax lens...you'll not probably going to see any difference)

For wildlife, if I have to choose between these 3 lenses (DA* 300mm, Pentax 150-450mm, Sigma 150-600mm C or S version), DA* 300mm it will be my last choice.

---------- Post added 09-09-16 at 07:27 AM ----------

It looks like Godox is going to come to Pentax. This trigger looks identical to Godox X1T. I do have some Godox flashes (2 AD180, 1 AD360 and 1 TT685) and they are reliable. Worth the wait...

Flashpoint R2 TTL Transmitter for Pentax FP-RR-R2-T-PN
I'm surprised Godox missed Pentax what with the 645z which is prime studio equipment. Joel Grimes shoots a 645z as his main camera.

---------- Post added 09-09-16 at 04:40 AM ----------

Here's a thought on Tamron and Sigma K-mounts. If they run it like a kickstarter program and enough people sign up, then they go ahead and produce a batch. Limit it to lenses missing from the Pentax line up, such as this 150-600.
09-09-2016, 05:09 AM   #247
Banned

I'm surprised Godox missed Pentax what with the 645z which is prime studio equipment. Joel Grimes shoots a 645z as his main camera.
Looks like Canon to me.

http://www.joelgrimesworkshops.com/gear-review-folder/gear.html

Or 645z
https://photofocus.com/2015/08/08/pentax-645z-medium-format-joel-grimes-whats-in-your-bag/

Or flipping back and forward....

He is Canon in 2016.
http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/contributors/explorers/grimes_bio.shtml

Last edited by RonHendriks1966; 09-09-2016 at 05:14 AM.
09-09-2016, 05:16 AM   #248
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ian Stuart Forsyth Quote
Rumour has it that they have increased the IQ of the new Tamron 150-600 and if they have then it will be on a lot of budget wildlife photographers wish list. Time will tell if they will ever release the lens for pentax and if so it would be a lens that is needed. With just the release of the mega tele zooms of the last few years I have started to see less and less of the people I photograph with bringing along there 500 F4 and 300 F2.8 in favor of the savings these lenses offer in weight and flexibility. and only bring the big guns when they need the F4 and F2.8 lenses primes. If the new tarmon is anything like the sigma sport then there will be a lot of happy tarmon shooters out there
Still a shame its not in pentax mount
The guys I shoot with seem evenly split. The guys with the really expensive stuff, Ihaven't seen stop with a lens. Those 500 and 600 ƒ4a still come to the park on a regular basis, and I see then guy hoofing his 500 ƒ4 down the rad and over the bridge from the place were we shoot birds to the place where we might see minks or otters. So, I've seen no reduction in the big boys. Then there are the lighter weight guys with 70-200 Sigma's and 2x TC's That vies them 400 5.6 if they need it. Then a few newer guys with 150-600s. One of the guys with a 150-600 owns a restaurant in town and is selling images from the walls. But, they are right place right time images. I've several time soho beds him where I come away with keepers and go in to show him the next day, and he has nothing.

I know compared to big boy lenses those150-600 lenses are smaller, but at a cost of quite bit of functionality. And I've hear many of the big boys say stuff like :I don't shoot ƒ5,6" with a bit of an edge to their tone. MY progression has been ƒ6.3 to ƒ5.6 to ƒ2.8. I honestly don't know of anyone who has given up an f-stop. All the dedicated old timers here are lugging heavy glass. The big advantage to the Pentax 150-450 is ƒ5.6 in the long end. I'm comfortable shooting with that. I'm definitely not paying over $1000 for an ƒ6.3 lens. Golden hour doesn't support ƒ6,3.

From the 20 or so photographers I shoot with from time to tie, I'd say the only ones shooting 150-600 type lenses are those new getting into the game.
Not one of these guys has given up their heavy equipment, although lots are carrying an APS-c body with a smaller lens on it, beside their FF equipment.

The guy on the right does have an ƒ6.3 lens, but... we don't know him. He's a tourist from New Jersey.

Note, these guys actually travel in a mini-van so they have room to carry all that stuff.

As yet, all of the guys are still traveling heavy. I don't think downsizing is popular among the younger set, and the guy I know who trucks his 500 ƒ4 all over the place is at least as old as I am. My guess, is people go to ƒ6.3 glass, when they can't carry ƒ4 or ƒ2.8 anymore. or when they've never actually had faster glass on their camera, to be able to compare.

Last edited by normhead; 09-09-2016 at 05:32 AM.
09-09-2016, 06:01 AM   #249
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The guys I shoot with seem evenly split. The guys with the really expensive stuff, Ihaven't seen stop with a lens. Those 500 and 600 ƒ4a still come to the park on a regular basis, and I see then guy hoofing his 500 ƒ4 down the rad and over the bridge from the place were we shoot birds to the place where we might see minks or otters. So, I've seen no reduction in the big boys. Then there are the lighter weight guys with 70-200 Sigma's and 2x TC's That vies them 400 5.6 if they need it. Then a few newer guys with 150-600s. One of the guys with a 150-600 owns a restaurant in town and is selling images from the walls. But, they are right place right time images. I've several time soho beds him where I come away with keepers and go in to show him the next day, and he has nothing.

I know compared to big boy lenses those150-600 lenses are smaller, but at a cost of quite bit of functionality. And I've hear many of the big boys say stuff like :I don't shoot ƒ5,6" with a bit of an edge to their tone. MY progression has been ƒ6.3 to ƒ5.6 to ƒ2.8. I honestly don't know of anyone who has given up an f-stop. All the dedicated old timers here are lugging heavy glass. The big advantage to the Pentax 150-450 is ƒ5.6 in the long end. I'm comfortable shooting with that. I'm definitely not paying over $1000 for an ƒ6.3 lens. Golden hour doesn't support ƒ6,3.

From the 20 or so photographers I shoot with from time to tie, I'd say the only ones shooting 150-600 type lenses are those new getting into the game.
Not one of these guys has given up their heavy equipment, although lots are carrying an APS-c body with a smaller lens on it, beside their FF equipment.

The guy on the right does have an ƒ6.3 lens, but... we don't know him. He's a tourist from New Jersey.

Note, these guys actually travel in a mini-van so they have room to carry all that stuff.

As yet, all of the guys are still traveling heavy. I don't think downsizing is popular among the younger set, and the guy I know who trucks his 500 ƒ4 all over the place is at least as old as I am. My guess, is people go to ƒ6.3 glass, when they can't carry ƒ4 or ƒ2.8 anymore. or when they've never actually had faster glass on their camera, to be able to compare.
Having a:
- 400mm f2.8 lens
- 500mm f4 lens
- 100-400mm f4 lens (the one with 1.4x TC build in)
- or a 600mm f4 lens

it means that you don't need a Sigma/Tamron 150-600mm lens. We're talking about budget friendly lenses and the lenses listed above are top class lenses, the most cheaper lens costing 9.000$.

Neither:
- Pentax DA* 300mm F4
- Pentax 150-450mm
- Sigma/Tamron 150-600mm
- Canon 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L
- Nikon 200-500mm f5.6

are not in the same class as the other lenses listed above these.

Those lenses do make a difference, but who cares if you're not willing to pay at least 9.000$ for one of them?

And by the way, f6.3 lenses can hadle the golden hour. You only have to know your gear. This is an image taken (by me) at 600mm, f7.1, 1/1600s, ISO 4000

[IMG]online photo sharing[/IMG]

Last edited by Dan Rentea; 09-09-2016 at 06:16 AM.
09-09-2016, 06:28 AM   #250
Pentaxian

Having a:
- 400mm f2.8 lens
- 500mm f4 lens
- 100-400mm f4 lens (the one with 1.4x TC build in)
- or a 600mm f4 lens

it means that you don't need a Sigma/Tamron 150-600mm lens. We're talking about budget friendly lenses and the lenses listed above are top class lenses, the most cheaper lens costing 9.000$.

Neither:
- Pentax DA* 300mm F4
- Pentax 150-450mm
- Sigma/Tamron 150-600mm
- Nikon 200-500mm f5.6

are not in the same class as the lenses listed above.
The fact that they are not listed in the same class, does not make them all equal. The Sigma Tamron 150-600 lenses are ƒ6.3, even at 400mm. The puts them a class below my A-400 ƒ5.6, and below my Sigma 70-300 which is also ƒ5.6.

I'd love to see image comparisons between the Canon 100-400, Nikon 200-500 5.6 and DA 150-450 as they are all pretty much the same class of lens. And in my experience there is a severe difference in AF capability between ƒ5.6 and ƒ6.3 when using TC's so, yes it does make a difference. At that point you have to start looking at the IQ the lens produces and by all accounts the Pentax 150-450 is very good.

But, simple rule of thumb, faster means more weight, traded for better low light performance, and the ability to accept and make use of a TC.
With all due respect, a 6.3 lens is not in the same class as a 5.6 lens, which is not the same as an F4 lens.

However look at a different way at 200mm, these lenses
- Sigma/Tamron 150-600mm
- Nikon 200-500mm f5.6

Are not in the same class as the DA*200 ƒ2.8

At 300mm these lenses
- Sigma/Tamron 150-600mm
- Nikon 200-500mm f5.6

Are not in the same class as Pentax DA*300 ƒ4. which with 1.4 TC gives you 420 ƒ5.6 or with the 1.7x gives you 510 ƒ6.3.

And no matter which way you look at it, ƒ6,3 is bottom of the heap.
Honestly ask yourself... can you buy a worse choice to get yourself to 600 than a Sigma/Tamron 150-600? All it has going for it is it's relative price.

So really what you're doing here is building up your beloved 150-600 by throwing it into a pile with a bunch off lenses, that are a class above. and hoping no one will notice. And we haven't even discussed the Pentax 60-250 ƒ4, which in it's range will pretty much outclass any of those lenses. Some of the lens designers on the forum have stuck with Pentax, just to get this lens. So yes, some companies make some lenses Pentaxians might like, and Pentax makes some lenses that people from other camera companies might like, but, it's not just ƒ4 long lenses that leave 150-600 type lenses in the dust, it's practically everything Pentax makes. No matter what you do, ƒ6.3 is ƒ6.3. There's no excaping it.

Anyone who focuses on one type of lens and then says Pentax is at a disadvantage because they don't have it is myopic. (look it up in the dictionary.) By focussing on one particular lens, you make a case for the "Pentax disadvantage." The Pentax advantage is small portable high quality primes and DA* lineup that provides great quality and functionality in very portable packages, with great build quality and tank like construction. I could say, well Canon and Nikon users really don't have a 77 ltd. type lens available to them. They should all be switching to Pentax. Or there's nothing as good as the Pentax 60-250 in the Canikon world, with prime quality throughout it's range at that size and weight.

People can say stupid stuff like that, but for the most part they don't. So why do we get ignorant Canon users on the forum explaining why they love their Canons, with their crappy Dynamic Range and low resolution. It's simple dude. We don't value what you value. All your "why I use Canon instead of Pentax" nonsense won't change that. You've settled into a set of compromises we won't make. So while I'm glad you're happy with them, they wouldn't make me happy. Get used to it.

Last edited by normhead; 09-09-2016 at 06:46 AM.
09-09-2016, 06:49 AM   #251
Veteran Member

I wish there was a free lunch in optics.... but there doesn't seem to be. The other thing that gets ya a bit with most zooms is their light transmittance costs you a bit over the better primes....I notice this a bit with the 150-450 V's my F*300....maybe almost a stop.
09-09-2016, 06:52 AM   #252
Veteran Member

The fact that they are not listed in the same class, does not make them all equal. The Sigma Tamron 150-600 lenses are ƒ6.3, even at 400mm. The puts them a class below my A-400 ƒ5.6, and below my Sigma 70-300 which is also ƒ5.6.

I'd love to see image comparisons between the Canon 100-400, Nikon 200-500 5.6 and DA 150-450 as they are all pretty much the same class of lens. And in my experience there is a severe difference in AF capability between ƒ5.6 and ƒ6.3 when using TC's so, yes it does make a difference. At that point you have to start looking at the IQ the lens produces and by all accounts the Pentax 150-450 is very good.

But, simple rule of thumb, faster means more weight, traded for better low light performance, and the ability to accept and make use of a TC.
With all due respect, a 6.3 lens is not in the same class as a 5.6 lens, which is not the same as an F4 lens.

However look at a different way at 200mm, these lenses
- Sigma/Tamron 150-600mm
- Nikon 200-500mm f5.6

Are not in the same class as the DA*200 ƒ2.8

At 300mm these lenses
- Sigma/Tamron 150-600mm
- Nikon 200-500mm f5.6

Are not in the same class as Pentax DA*300 ƒ4. which with 1.4 TC gives you 420 ƒ5.6 or with the 1.7x gives you 510 ƒ6.3.

And no matter which way you look at it, ƒ6,3 us bottom of the heap.
Honestly ask yourself... can you buy a worse choice to get yourself to 600 than a Sigma/Tamron 150-600? All it has going for it is it's relative price.

So really what you're doing here is building up your beloved 150-600 by throwing it into a pile with a bunch off lenses, that are a class above. and hoping no one will notice. And we haven't even discussed the Pentax 60-250 ƒ4, which in it's range will pretty much outclass any of those lenses. Some of the lens designers on the forum have stuck with Pentax, just to get this lens. So yes, some companies make some lenses Pentaxians might like, and Pentax makes some lenses that people from other camera companies might like, but, it's not just ƒ4 long lenses that leave 150-600 type lenses in the dust, it's practically everything Pentax makes. No matter what you do, ƒ6.3 is ƒ6.3. There's no excaping it.

Anyone who focuses on one type of lens and then says Pentax is at a disadvantage because they don't have it is myopic. (look it up in the dictionary.) By focussing on one particular lens, you make a case for the "Pentax disadvantage." The Pentax advantage is small portable high quality primes and DA* lineup that provides great quality and functionality in very portable packages, with great build quality and tank like construction. I could say, well Canon and Nikon users really don't have a 77 ltd. type lens available to them. The should all be switching to Pentax. Or there's nothing as good as the Pentax 60-250 in the Canikon world, with prime quality throughout it's range at that size and weight.

People can say stupid stuff like that, but for the most part they don't. So why do we get ignorant Canon users on the board explaining why they love their Canons, with their crappy Dynamic Range and low resolution. It's simple dude. We don't value what you value. All your "why I use Canon instead of Pentax" nonsense won't change that. You've settled into a set of compromises we won't make. SO while I'm glad you're happy with them, they wouldn't make me happy. Get used to it.
Normhead, it's about lenses... you're talking about a lens you haven't touched, (actually you haven't touched either Pentax 150-450mm lens or the Sigma 150-600mm lens) with a guy who uses the Sigma lens and who's showing you images taken with that lens. And you're arguing about IQ...

Show me images to back up your comments, not simple words. You said an f6.3 can't handle the golden hour. I showed you it can. You keep bring into discution other lenses with smaller focal lenght (60-250mm, FA77, etc.) or lenses which costs 9.000$, minimum. If you can't handle an f6.3 lens it means it's not a good lens?
09-09-2016, 07:14 AM   #253
Pentaxian

I don't know how to put this politely Dan, I've been avoiding it... your images don't impress me. In most cases, I wouldn't post what you're posting.

QuoteQuote:
Show me images to back up your comments, not simple words

Really, you haven't seen my images? Do you actually do anything on this forum but irritate Petnax users?

A-400 ƒ5.6

DA*60-250

DA* 200 and stacked TCs... 476mm f 6.3)

DA*200 with 1.4 TC (280mm ƒ4)

DA*200 with 1.7 AF adapter (340mm)

DA*60-250 with 1.7 x AF adapter

DA* 200

Is that enough or shall I continue?

Last edited by normhead; 09-09-2016 at 07:21 AM.
09-09-2016, 08:00 AM - 3 Likes   #254
Veteran Member

Is that enough or shall I continue?
You have nice images in terms of composition, but I didn't argued with you regarding composition. So, as I said, don't act like the Pentax expert, especially since neither of your images are taken with DFA 150-450mm or with Sigma/Tamron 150-600mm..

In terms of IQ I'm not seeing anything which can prove me that the IQ of your images is better than the IQ from my images, taken with Sigma lens. Also, composition is subjective in the viewer eyes so I don't expect you to like my images, but in terms of sharpness, noise and details you didn't proved anything.

upload a picture

screencast

screenshot windows

upload an image

photo hosting sites

upload img

Last edited by Dan Rentea; 09-09-2016 at 02:54 PM.
09-09-2016, 11:08 AM - 1 Like   #255
Veteran Member

You have nice images in terms of composition, but I didn't argued with you regarding composition. So, as I said, don't act like the Pentax expert, especially since neither of your images are taken with DFA 150-450mm or with Sigma/Tamron 150-600mm..

In terms of IQ I'm not seeing anything which can prove me that the IQ of your images is better than the IQ from my images, taken with Sigma lens. Also, composition is subjective in the viewer eyes so I don't expect you to like my images, but in terms of sharpness, noise and details you didn't prove anything.

upload a picture

screencast

screenshot windows

upload an image

photo hosting sites

upload img
These are smokin' hot!!! Good job!