Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 86 Likes Search this Thread
09-29-2016, 12:58 PM   #451
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
And, as I said, you want me to take you seriously? Show me some high resolution images of yours. My last image posted is a high resolution image taken at 600mm with that cheap/plastic lens. Let's see yours. I'm tired seeing images of yours at 900 -1000px on the long end and arguing with me about details and sharpness. Or, since you mentioned the other thread where the long lens experts hang out, please invite some of them here. I really want to find out their opinion about the sharpness and details of my images.
That's the worst of it, honestly. Normhead did it many time on many thread and if you criticize its photos for what they look like objectively from the noisy compressed web snapshot he provide, he get hangry very fast... I am sure he has fantastic photos too as he sell them. What he show us are his everyday snapshots, not really postprocessed and overcompressed jpegs on the web in low rez for the fear of getting the picture stolen... The problem is that this difficult how much better his best photos look on his huge screen at home...

The problem in this thread overthere is that everybody is on its side and go maybe a bit too far.

You can likely get nice result from 150-500, 50-500 or equivalent that can still get on K-mount... While we want 150-600 and alike, it is not like we have nothing... Sigma sport lens is basically in same price range as genuine lens so if it provide similar quality well... That not that impressive. Really. Sure more choice would be nice, but it is not like there nothing available or no solution...

On the opposite, yes lenses that arent Pentax are good too. Even camera body from other manufacturers are not bad. Pretending the contrary is simply ignoring the reality and lying to yourself. Maybe that a way to feel better but its silly.

You can provide quite decent shots with quite basic gear like I shown before, as long as you don't crop too much. I provided example even if I think they don't look as clean as theses 150-600 on FF but I can live with that

Still I think not many there got as many widlife pictures in the past day as I got myself, even the one that have the best gear... Canon, Pentax or Sigma... Being in the right place as the right moment still matter more than the rest . biz-engineer said it, and I think that really a key point...

Last edited by Nicolas06; 09-29-2016 at 01:07 PM.
09-29-2016, 01:29 PM   #452
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
That's the worst of it, honestly. Normhead did it many time on many thread and if you criticize its photos for what they look like objectively on this web snapshot he get quite upset...
Why he gets upset? At 900px on the long end you can't judge an image from a technical point of view. So, let's see how the images posted in this thread looks like at 3000px on the long end and then we can talk about his beloved details and definitions that he always remind us of.I think it's fair enough if he's arguing with somebody about technical stuff.

The problem in this thread overthere is that everybody is on its side and go maybe a bit too far.
Agree and I apologize.

You can likely get nice result from 150-500, 50-500 or equivalent that can still get on K-mount... While we want 150-600 and alike, it is not like we have nothing... Sigma sport lens is basically in same price range as genuine lens so if it provide similar quality well... That not that impressive. Really.
Never said anything about the IQ of the Sigma Sport lens. I only said about that lens that is 500$ cheaper than 150-450mm. I never said that there are not options for Pentax in terms of long lenses. There are a few, but you can't find them new and they are also hard to find even second hand, at least where I live. I never saw a Sigma 150-500mm or 50-500mm on sale in Romania.

Later edit. I don't know how others buy their gear, but I'm not spending a single $ unless I put my hands on a lens/body at least for half an hour. I want to see for myself if the lens/camera that I'm going to buy has what I need/want.

On the opposite, yes lenses that arent Pentax are good too. Even gear in general like camera bodies, even if honestly we don't care. Pretending the contrary is simply ignoring the reality and trying to justifing one own choice...
I said a few times that I don't care what you or somenone else shoots with as long as you get good images. I don't need a 9000$ lens to get good images, although, when I got the chance to rent one, I do appreciate the results.

You can provide quite decent shots with quite basic gear like I shown before, as long as you don't crop too much. I provided example even if I think they don't look as clean as theses 150-600 on FF but I can live with that 55-300 on K3 is a real step down. Understandable. But I think almost nobody here got as many widlife pictures as myself in theses 7 days safari I took recently even the one that have the best gear... And as many different subjects... Being in the right place as the right moment still matter more than the rest But many time can be quite expensive too... On the long run gear is cheap by comparison.
I don't care how noisy or how sharp an image is as long as it's a good image in terms of composition. I was fair play and told norm head right from beginning that I like some of his images in terms of composition. I reffer to technical stuff only when people attacking me with technical stuff and I respond to them even with images taken with the lens I used. He never touched Sigma/Tamron 150-600mm or Pentax 150-450mm, but he gives advices on them. Tell me, it's fair?

Later edit. Actually, don't tell me. I saw his comments from other threads he pointed out. It's a clear sign I have to let go...

So, it was nice to talk to you and with a few others, but I'm out of this thread, no matter what others will say from now on.

And, since we are photographers, I leave this thread by showing you my favourite series of consecutive images with the graceful little egret (taken with Sigma 150-600mm C lens).

gifs upload

screenshot

click image upload

photoupload

photo hosting sites

upload images

online photo storage

screenshot

Last edited by Dan Rentea; 09-30-2016 at 01:31 AM.
09-29-2016, 10:59 PM   #453
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
Never said anything about the IQ of the Sigma Sport lens. I only said about that lens that is 500$ cheaper than 150-450mm. I never said that there are not options for Pentax in terms of long lenses. There are a few, but you can't find them new and they are also hard to find even second hand, at least where I live. I never saw a Sigma 150-500mm or 50-500mm on sale in Romania.
You can get a 50-500 new in France or US, at least some sellers but this is still somewhat expensive. MissNumerique would sell it to you for 1100€ and Fnac for 1250€, VAT included.

Amazon.co.uk has it new too for £979.99. VA included again.

This mean if you wanted you could get one. I can understand french isn't the easiest for everybody, but surely you can manage to buy from Amazon UK
09-30-2016, 03:04 AM   #454
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
With Sigma and Tamron's decision not to manufacture any lenses for Pentax would only lead me to dream and drool over the 150-600. To be realistic, if I want a lens close to this, it would be the Pentax 150-450. Between weight and size, does Pentax have an advantage considering it has a shorter focal length? If I have the cash, this is the lens though, I wanted more reach. (I'm not trying to provoke an argument. I haven't seen any of these lenses and I just want an honest opinion from those who have tried them all. Thanks.)

09-30-2016, 03:25 AM   #455
Pentaxian

Weight and size, it depends on which lens you're comparing it with: the two Sigma 150-600, Contemporary and Sport, aren't equal in this regard (the Sport is both larger and heavier - with a good reason).
09-30-2016, 04:02 AM   #456
Pentaxian

If I choose sigma it'll definitely be sport. If Pentax is lighter, I might get one if I have the cash.
09-30-2016, 05:28 AM   #457
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
If I choose sigma it'll definitely be sport. If Pentax is lighter, I might get one if I have the cash.
Sigma 150-600 Sport (with hood and tripod foot?) = 2860g
Pentax 150-450 (with hood and tripod foot) = 2325g

So about 500g difference.

The Sigma 150-600 Contemporary is, however, 1930g. FWIW, the original Tamron is 1951 g (with foot).

09-30-2016, 05:33 AM   #458
Veteran Member

It really doesn't get talked about much, but with these larger and heavier lenses one really has to give some thought to how they are to be carried and supported when shooting. A lot of people will find them managable for short walks or lifting and holding them for a few minutes to get a shot..... however for looking through the viewfinder for 5 minutes plus, say waiting for a Egret to catch a fish.... some support is needed.... say a monopod etc. When walking for 20 minutes to 3 hours I use a Black Rapid strap...... I happily have it cliped to the camera base with the Pentax 150-450 hanging off it..... have used the K3 and K-1 this way with the upmost confidence...(I wouldn't hang the Tamron or Sigma this way though.... the build of the Pentax inspires more confidence for me).

Last edited by noelpolar; 09-30-2016 at 06:30 PM.
09-30-2016, 06:02 AM   #459
Pentaxian

With the weight data provided by rawr, the Tamron looks like a good option. Unfortunately it's not available in the k-mount. I'll have to think about the 150-450. It really looks heavy. Thanks guys.
09-30-2016, 06:05 AM   #460
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With the weight data provided by rawr, the Tamron looks like a good option. Unfortunately it's not available in the k-mount. I'll have to think about the 150-450. It really looks heavy. Thanks guys.
Did you notice the Tamron is more than a pound heavier? That didn't make any sense.

OH, I guess you were talking about the original 150-600s.
09-30-2016, 06:25 AM   #461
Pentaxian

If you're basing it against contemporary, it wouldn't be my choice as I always require WR protection. According to rawr Pentax is 2325 while Tamron is 1951.
09-30-2016, 08:20 AM   #462
Veteran Member

According to rawr Pentax is 2325 while Tamron is 1951.
And for completeness sake, the newly released 'G2' version of the Tamron 150-600 is 2010g. The new Tamron does have some WR features too, for a change. Still no Pentax version announced though
09-30-2016, 12:28 PM   #463
Veteran Member

The lenses are not the same as I understand. If one think sigma sport version, the Pentax 150-450 surely match the AF etc performance, but maybe not the tamron...
09-30-2016, 05:21 PM   #464
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
And for completeness sake, the newly released 'G2' version of the Tamron 150-600 is 2010g. The new Tamron does have some WR features too, for a change. Still no Pentax version announced though
Thanks rawr. And yes, it won't be available unless Tamron will change their minds.

---------- Post added 10-01-16 at 08:23 AM ----------

The lenses are not the same as I understand. If one think sigma sport version, the Pentax 150-450 surely match the AF etc performance, but maybe not the tamron...
Does Tamron have better AF?
09-30-2016, 06:29 PM   #465
Veteran Member

I just got the tamron 150-600 original and D610- the AF leaves the DA*300 in the dust. If you can use the focus limiter, its pretty swift. Hope to test it out better this weekend.