Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2008, 08:12 PM   #16
Veteran Member

has anyone seen a real review with MTF charts of this, yet?

05-10-2008, 08:20 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No, but my eyes tell me that this is a good lens. Even with my glasses, I still trust my eyes to judge whether I like the IQ of a lens or not. Not that the charts aren't important, but ultimately, I'm more concerned about how my image is going to look on my monitor and in print.

At any rate, I'll still be interested in seeing what the "professional reviewers" think.

Heather
05-10-2008, 09:14 PM   #18
Veteran Member

honestly, Heather, my sole interest lies in comparing it to the Sony 7-300 f/4.5-5.6 G lens, that i'm eying for my film lineup.. which is an 800 dollar lens, and i have a feeling this lens will be right on the same lines..
05-11-2008, 03:35 PM   #19
Inactive Account

Good review. You said two things that I am not sure of.

>> One interesting thing though is that while operating zoom ring the sound it makes reminds
>> me of a sound you would produce by scratching a nylon jacket or bag with your fingernail,
>> but I have checked other lenses in the store and confirmed with Ed, and it is apparently
>> normal.

Good description of the sound but on mine it is barely audible. I really mean ** barely **. You have to be listening for it. The general impression during normal operation is that it is silent. Nice and firm, but silent.

>> Don't be surprised though by noisy focusing ring while manually focusing: although it turns
>> smoothly you can hear all the gears turning inside. Again, it appears to be normal.

Mine does not do that at ALL. Silent as can be. I would suggest that this sound you are hearing is NOT right. I'd like to hear from tohers though.

Again. Goos review, thanks.

woof

05-11-2008, 03:40 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Great Real World Lens Review, Ivan!

Haha is that Edwards Gardens by any chance?? Ah you've sold me the lens...now if only I can get the $$.
05-11-2008, 04:08 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Really good review between you and Ed - well I made the 'mistake' of walking into the Brick and Mortar camera shop on Saturday - it's sooo easy to walk away online not so much when you have it in your hand I am afraid my 'responsible' LBA (to quote Heather ) appears to only apply to online .............
05-11-2008, 05:16 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
HA! you seem to have a new lens in your sig. Dave!
05-11-2008, 05:24 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by borno Quote
HA! you seem to have a new lens in your sig. Dave!
It was a VERY irresponsible day I have two new lens in my sig DA* 16-50 appears to be a keeper so far ... time to re-evaluate what I have an probably hit the Market place to sell something so I can buy more ...loop

05-11-2008, 06:22 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why the heck don't B&H have this yet?
05-11-2008, 07:41 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
It was a VERY irresponsible day I have two new lens in my sig DA* 16-50 appears to be a keeper so far ... time to re-evaluate what I have an probably hit the Market place to sell something so I can buy more ...loop
Let's see, I'll have the DA55-300 on Tuesday and the DA35 macro sometime in the next week or so (I'm stll waiting on shipping info from Prodigital2000). Sometime in the near future (probably within the next couple of weeks), I'll be ordering the Tamron 90 macro, so that'll be 3 lenses in less than a month.

I've just about have sold off what I can sell off in camera gear, so other than putting my husband on the Marketplace as a good photographer's assistant or on Fleabay as a good housekeeper/yard man, I'm just about done with selling.

Arpe, I'm curious as to why B&H hasn't listed the 55-300 myself. I just got their Summer 2008 catalog the other day and they have it listed in there on p. 179 with "CALL" in the price column. Needless to say, I'm sure that Adorama doesn't mind.

Heather
05-11-2008, 07:48 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
Let's see, I'll have the DA55-300 on Tuesday and the DA35 macro sometime in the next week or so (I'm stll waiting on shipping info from Prodigital2000). Sometime in the near future (probably within the next couple of weeks), I'll be ordering the Tamron 90 macro, so that'll be 3 lenses in less than a month.

Wow! Very exciting, those are going to be very fun toys indeed. Congrats Heather.
05-12-2008, 07:38 PM   #27
Veteran Member

im kinda in the same boat as buddha here. i want to see the 60-250 first...however, realistically this is probably the wiser buy for me at the moment. though, i would be happy to see the price down a little before i grab one.

might push me to see what i can get for the 55-200 first, but with this puppy out now, me thinks resale value is not in my favor
05-13-2008, 12:53 AM   #28

DA 55-300 .... very interesting

Hi Ivan,

Sounds like a decent lens and the pictures look very good, as well but the most
interesting aspect, For Me, is that I am glad that Pentax Canada got the
lens in earlier than was anticipated as I was speaking to the order desk (of Pentax
Canada) earlier this month and they were expecting any for a few weeks so
this news will make at least one(1) of my customers happy

Cheers,

Jack
05-13-2008, 01:03 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Thanks for this fantastic review.

This tells me a lot about the zoom. For the current price, it is a zoom hard to beat. Good to walk around with during travel.
05-13-2008, 04:33 AM   #30
Veteran Member

My cunning plan that cannot possibly fail is get one good shot from the Tamy 70-300 that I can sell, then use the income to go for the Pentax.

I just love shooting in high contrast situations...

To add to my LBA misery, after I organised the Tamy, I was offered a loan of a friends SMC Pentax-F 100-300mm F4.5-5.6. I shot a couple of test shots. Not bad at all. I can keep using at long as I want.