Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2008, 06:55 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Have you tried any macro tests with the 55-300 yet? I'd like to replace my Tamron 70-300 with it eventually, but I don't want to lose the ability to do basic macro. I'm not looking for a world beating, award winning macro lens. I just like that the Tamron does a pretty decent job of it on top of being a very affordable telephoto lens. I took these test pics of flowers with my Tamron after I got it last week, I was surprised at how well it did; especially just handholding in low light.

Edit: I just went back to the first page and noticed the red flower pics you took after the squirrel. Disregard my question.

Attached Images

Last edited by Art Vandelay II; 05-13-2008 at 07:02 AM. Reason: Because I don't pay attention.
05-13-2008, 07:13 AM   #32
Site Supporter

Another $0.02

I agree with the review it was very good (too good in fact haha) Some of my comments are :

I really like the compactness of this lens. While it does not cover the range of my Tamron 18-250 , the 50mm on the wide end comes in handy. I also find it more stable at 300mm than the tammy at 250. The focus noise can be unsettling. I find if I am at infinity already the next shot will focus relatively quick , however the first infinity focus is quite noisy , something that will scare the birds . I also found it does surprisingly well in low light. Another thing I really like is no zoom creep. This is very handy point the lens up towards the trees. Now this may loosen up over time , but for now it is a non issue. Have not tried too many ‘macro’ close up shots yet. That is my next task

Here are couple of shots from last night. I have a few days left for a full refund return , don't think that is going to happen

Both wide open taken in early evening 300mm f5.8, 1/180, ISO 100

Click on Images for full size

100% Crop

100% Crop

Not bad for a consumer lens at all IMHO

Last edited by daacon; 05-13-2008 at 07:27 AM.
05-13-2008, 09:48 AM   #33
Site Supporter

heather,

hi. did you get your 55-300 yet?

regards,

jordan
05-13-2008, 11:36 AM   #34
Site Supporter

Anyone tried it with a 1.4x TC? The Sigma 70-300 APO works great with the Tamron 1.4x -- just wondering if it would work on this lens?

05-13-2008, 12:38 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Well, I just picked up mine from the post office and love the solid feel of it. Drove all the way from my country house to come and get it

I went straight to the nature park near my place and started to put it thru it's paces, and this is a pleasant lens to use! It's got a good tight feel to it.

I snapped away for a little while, but was pretty wobbly without my tripod or monopod. Those are a few quick snapshots. Those are all wide open at 300mm. No PP except for cropping and resizing when needed.

As you can see in the last pic, at 300mm wide open, there is some PF in the high contrast areas. (I have to admit I am pushing it as it's a pic taken in a shaded area and the PF appears in the blown out areas where there is a sunray coming thru)

I like this lens... I really like it

Pat
05-13-2008, 12:51 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
I agree with the review it was very good (too good in fact haha) Some of my comments are :

I really like the compactness of this lens. While it does not cover the range of my Tamron 18-250 , the 50mm on the wide end comes in handy. I also find it more stable at 300mm than the tammy at 250. The focus noise can be unsettling. I find if I am at infinity already the next shot will focus relatively quick , however the first infinity focus is quite noisy , something that will scare the birds . I also found it does surprisingly well in low light. Another thing I really like is no zoom creep. This is very handy point the lens up towards the trees. Now this may loosen up over time , but for now it is a non issue. Have not tried too many ‘macro’ close up shots yet. That is my next task

Here are couple of shots from last night. I have a few days left for a full refund return , don't think that is going to happen

Both wide open taken in early evening 300mm f5.8, 1/180, ISO 100

Not bad for a consumer lens at all IMHO
I'm impressed. My sigma 70-300 DL gets PF crazy on those tree against sky shots.
05-13-2008, 04:14 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Wow ... this really looks like a lens worth purchasing indeed.
05-13-2008, 04:35 PM   #38
AML

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Why the heck don't B&H have this yet?
I thought the very same thing, so i sent B&H an email asking about the lens. Here is their reply.

QuoteQuote:
At this point in time we do not have a price or shipping date. Please contact the manufacturer directly for more information about this newly announced product:

Web:
Pentax Imaging - Home

Phone:
800-877-0155

05-13-2008, 04:36 PM   #39
Veteran Member

I got mine today too, but I put the pics in a different thread...
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/27383-i-got-my-55-300-a.html

I'm looking forward to playing with it some more while I'm on vacation.

Heather
05-13-2008, 04:42 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
At this point in time we do not have a price or shipping date. Please contact the manufacturer directly for more information about this newly announced product:

Web:
Pentax Imaging - Home

Phone:
800-877-0155
Where has B&H been? That looks like a canned answer to me.
I say if Adorama or Calumet is willing to ship to Australia, then give your business to them. If you've got your heart set on getting it from B&H, then perhaps you could get someone in the US to give them a call and talk to a real person directly.

As I've said before, I'm sure that Adorama doesn't mind B&H not having it a bit.

Heather