Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2014, 02:37 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fgaudet Quote
Definitely look at the 10-20 f/4-5.6. It is much cheaper and will give you 95% of what the f/3.5 would. Especially since this isn't a focal length you'd shoot wide open most of the time you're not going to gain anything with the faster version. Given the quantity of photos I've taken with it, if I were to buy again, I'd go with the 4-5.6 and save a few $.
Well, I've browsed ebay and amazon and the f/3.5 is around 649.00...I can get it from 47th st photo in New York...there were some f/4-5.6 for 499.00 was about average. So....I'll have to think....I'll probably go with the f/4-5.6 and save the $'s but then again for abt $150 more I'd have the better lens....sigh....what to do, what to do...I just love those pictures you took with that lens...they are so spectacular.....but then again....I probably wouldn't notice the difference between the two lens anyway..sooo.......

09-02-2014, 03:25 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Advantages of the 10-20mm -

Extra blade = bigger badder starbursts if you're into that kind of thing, better bokeh (not that you'll be bokeh shooting very often with this lens)

The extra stops are kind of useless at 10mm, but towards 20mm?

f/3.5 is MUCH more desirable at 20mm than f/5.6. If you do any shooting while zoomed in darker environments you'll be grateful for the extra speed.

Night shooting, if you're into that kind of thing as well.

If those three aren't dealmakers for you, go for the cheaper lens.
09-02-2014, 03:47 PM - 1 Like   #18
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Carynn, if you don't mind buying used, the Pentax DA 12-24 usually goes for around $500-$600. There is one in the PF marketplace at present asking $US550. There is also a Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 asking $US350.
09-02-2014, 03:51 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Carynn Quote
I just love those pictures you took with that lens...
If you haven't done so already, check out this lens club (sig 10-20) there are a tons of incredible pictures on there, all taken with either the 10-20

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/84539-sigma-10-20mm-club.html

09-02-2014, 03:55 PM   #20
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
Advantages of the 10-20mm -

Extra blade = bigger badder starbursts if you're into that kind of thing, better bokeh (not that you'll be bokeh shooting very often with this lens)

The extra stops are kind of useless at 10mm, but towards 20mm?

f/3.5 is MUCH more desirable at 20mm than f/5.6. If you do any shooting while zoomed in darker environments you'll be grateful for the extra speed.

Night shooting, if you're into that kind of thing as well.

If those three aren't dealmakers for you, go for the cheaper lens.
Thanks Sagitta....not sure I understand all you said but I think it gives me "stuff" to think about....I'm a bit of a dunce yet about all this...Today I went to a seminar about DSLR camera's. I learned a lot...and I've bought a "dummies" book on dslr photography to help with the basics...anyway, I'm not taking pictures for a living so probably the f/5.6 will suit me fine and I really should try and save the $'s...thanks for your help, you've been really nice and I appreciate it!!

---------- Post added 09-02-14 at 06:59 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Carynn, if you don't mind buying used, the Pentax DA 12-24 usually goes for around $500-$600. There is one in the PF marketplace at present asking $US550. There is also a Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 asking $US350.
Hi Des...thanks for respnding...I don't mind used at all...I'll check out your suggestions and thanks so much for the heads up....

---------- Post added 09-02-14 at 07:00 PM ----------

If you haven't done so already, check out this lens club (sig 10-20) there are a tons of incredible pictures on there, all taken with either the 10-20

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/84539-sigma-10-20mm-club.html
Fgaudet...LOL....I just got back from the 10-20 forum....it's very interest....lots of good info...thanks
09-02-2014, 04:22 PM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

Extra blade = bigger badder starbursts if you're into that kind of thing
Starburst and Sunburst too

A bit of an odd pink flare but the burst is pretty special... But being a picture OF the sun dead on, flares are kind of expected
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
09-02-2014, 04:23 PM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks Sagitta....not sure I understand all you said but I think it gives me "stuff" to think about....I'm a bit of a dunce yet about all this...Today I went to a seminar about DSLR camera's. I learned a lot...and I've bought a "dummies" book on dslr photography to help with the basics...anyway, I'm not taking pictures for a living so probably the f/5.6 will suit me fine and I really should try and save the $'s...thanks for your help, you've been really nice and I appreciate it!![COLOR="Silver"]
Starbursts are basically the flare you get from a shot, most noticeable in either night shots or when directed towards the sun or some other super bright point of light. They tend to be star-shaped, hence 'starbursts'. Due to ~math~, the 'old' 10-20mm will have starbursts with 6 points. The f/3.5 version has an added blade, which gives you 14 points. (Even number blades, you get points equal to the blades, odd blades, you double the number) It tends to be a lot more dramatic, for better or for worse.

The extra f/stops basically means that the f/3.5 can shoot faster (ie, less need for a tripod) in darker environments. If you plan to shoot interiors of rooms and don't want to lug a tripod around, this could be important.

As far as night shooting, again its the same issue - a wider aperture (ie, lower f-stop) means you can get the same results in less time when exposing. Not so important for landscapes (you'd want to stop down in those cases anyway), but handy if you're just wandering around wanting to take shots.

As a quick example, here is a starburst from a 6-bladed lens (I think it was my 18-55 kit lens)

...and here are some from the f/3.5 with the extra blade creating a 14-pointed starburst.

09-03-2014, 02:30 PM   #23

Get a used sigma EX DG 12-24, it's full frame compatible. Equivalent to 18-36 with the K 50, I have one and I can also use it with my MZ 6 film camera
09-16-2014, 09:39 AM   #24
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Starbursts are basically the flare you get from a shot, most noticeable in either night shots or when directed towards the sun or some other super bright point of light. They tend to be star-shaped, hence 'starbursts'. Due to ~math~, the 'old' 10-20mm will have starbursts with 6 points. The f/3.5 version has an added blade, which gives you 14 points. (Even number blades, you get points equal to the blades, odd blades, you double the number) It tends to be a lot more dramatic, for better or for worse.

The extra f/stops basically means that the f/3.5 can shoot faster (ie, less need for a tripod) in darker environments. If you plan to shoot interiors of rooms and don't want to lug a tripod around, this could be important.

As far as night shooting, again its the same issue - a wider aperture (ie, lower f-stop) means you can get the same results in less time when exposing. Not so important for landscapes (you'd want to stop down in those cases anyway), but handy if you're just wandering around wanting to take shots.

As a quick example, here is a starburst from a 6-bladed lens (I think it was my 18-55 kit lens)

...and here are some from the f/3.5 with the extra blade creating a 14-pointed starburst.

Thanks Sagitta...love the shots you got...and I got my wide angle...I got the Sigma 3.5 used...it's very clean and takes great pics...I think I did the right thing and I'm pleased with my purchase. I should have this lens for a long time ...and the pics really are superb....

---------- Post added 09-16-14 at 12:45 PM ----------

For all of you who have helped me about my wide angle dilemma, I made my purchase yesterday. I was in NYC and went to B&H Photo and got a used Sigma 3.5...it was rated a 9 on their scale of 10 and took amazing pictures ( I had my camera with me).....I think it was the right choice and I'm glad I got this one. Just wanted to let y'all know. Everyone has been so helpful and nice, I can't tell you how much I appreciate the help....thanks again....
09-16-2014, 10:06 AM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

Everyone has been so helpful and nice, I can't tell you how much I appreciate the help....thanks again....
Now get off the computer and go take some pictures

Have fun with you new toy
09-16-2014, 12:59 PM   #26
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Now get off the computer and go take some pictures

Have fun with you new toy
LOL....I will fgaudet....as a matter of fact, i'm on my way out the door now :-)