Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2014, 10:10 AM   #1

Evaluate Carl Zeiss Flektogon 35mm "Star Wars"

Hi everybody !

This thread is not specifically about a Pentax product, so excuse me in advance if i'm not in the good category (I don't know where i can ask this kind of question).

So, I bought (a real bargain !) one year ago a beautiful Carl Zeiss Jena Flektogon lense in excellent condition (m42 mount).
I made some researches on the internet and I found that this lense is actually very rare (an old "Star Wars" version with bakelite grip, one of the first made).

Very few people have it in this condition, and theres a really big lack of informations about it on the net.

I think I'll sell it because I really need some money for buying a new lense.
The problem is, considering is rarity and is moderatly mint condition, I really don't know how much I can get from this.

Does somebody can help me about it ?
I don't need a precise evaluation, just a price range.

Thank you very much !

Last edited by Mukkinn; 08-24-2014 at 11:13 AM.
08-24-2014, 10:56 AM - 3 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
08-24-2014, 11:15 AM   #3

Original Poster
Seems pretty reasonable, thanks !
08-24-2014, 11:16 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to PentaxForums and congratulations on your find!
I have a MC (multi-coated) Flektogon 2.4/35 Electric which I found for $40. My model brings $169-249. I had not heard of your version before, but it may be valued more as a collectors item than as a great performing lens (I don't know).

In any event. people "in the know" are often on the lookout for anything "Flektogon" or "Jena" so I would not be afraid of putting it on eBay with some good photos of the lens and letting the market determine its value. With so many people looking for them it is unlikely that somebody is going to "steal" it, assuming you have good pics and the auction ends at a good time (mid-to-late evening can be best). Frankly, I'd start it at 99 cents with no reserve and just let the chips fall where they may. I'll bet you get more than you might think.

08-24-2014, 11:21 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mukkinn Quote
an old "Star Wars" version with bakelite grip, one of the first made
I've no idea what this might be worth but I have to ask: What does "star wars" version mean? Surely this lens far predates the movie? Excuse me if I'm being dense, I just do not get the reference.
08-24-2014, 11:34 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I've no idea what this might be worth but I have to ask: What does "star wars" version mean? Surely this lens far predates the movie? Excuse me if I'm being dense, I just do not get the reference.
In my very limited experience, the informal "Star Wars" designation refers to the Zeisses that have trapezoidal markings on the barrel. Think of the opening text in the movie, progressing away from the viewer. I don't know if the OP's lens qualifies for the moniker.
08-24-2014, 11:35 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That one was a new one on me also.

I also wanted to say to the OP that it can be a good strategy to sell collectible lenses to raise cash for the lenses you really want. But just make sure that you aren't letting go of something that you wish you had back some day. Try it out first and see what everyone is talking about.

Here is an image from my MC Flektogon Electric (on a K-5 at the time)

For comparison, here is essentially the same shot taken with a modern Sigma EX 28mm f1.8

08-24-2014, 11:43 AM   #8
Site Supporter

We seem to have only the Flek 35/2.4 in our data base. It has 9 reviews. The average price is $122.86 with a range of $30 to $240.

Carl Zeiss 35mm F2.4 Flektogon MC Lens Reviews - Carl Zeiss Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

However, the one you are showing is 35.2.8. Not sure what you mean by StarWars. But these 2 came to mind.https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/carl-zeiss-35mm-f2-distagon-t.html, but they are Distagons.

35/1.4

https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/carl-zeiss-35mm-f1-4-distagon.html

And 35/2 T*

https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/carl-zeiss-35mm-f2-distagon-t.html

08-24-2014, 11:51 AM   #9

Original Poster
Hi and thanks for your responses !

Cheeky > Yep, this flektogon isn't a great performer, just an average lens, not too bad but not phenomenal either. Is sharpness is below-average, in my opinion, and it's not MC (so, lot of flares). But the colors/bokeh are amazing if you're lucky enough to shot with the good conditions/lights. Also, this lens produces great images in low light, which is not necessarily true for others lenses of this kind.
It's certain that if I sell it, it will be as a collector item.

About Ebay, I never thought about this possibility, I think it's a great idea to let the market evaluate the price, thanks ! I don't have any illusions about the amount of money I can get with it, but you're right, we never know

Jatrax > If I remember well, the "Star Wars" thing is just a nickname, not an official version of the product. The Karl Zeiss fandom named this kind of lenses relative to the movie because of their aspect (lot of black/orange/silver colors).

Last edited by Mukkinn; 08-24-2014 at 12:06 PM.
08-24-2014, 12:03 PM   #10

Original Poster
Blue > Fleks 35/2.4 are the model above the one I have, they are MC and came with a better sharpness. But you just need to look 1min on Google to see how much version of the Jena Flek 35mm they produced, it's kind of breathtaking. Mine is apparently one of the very first made of this type. I'm not an expert in Carl Zeiss history, so it's difficult for me to say more, but If you want to see some pictures taken with this Flek, go here : Hungarian Parlamient - Carl Zeiss Jena Flektogon 35mm f2.8. Actually the only 2 guys who got this lens are on this forum.
08-24-2014, 12:04 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good catch, Blue. I did not look at the photo and assumed the OP referred to the lens he actually had. It certainly IS the f2.8.
:\

On point discussions:

http://forum.manualfocus.org/viewtopic.php?id=13116

http://photo.net/pentax-camera-forum/00b9kH

http://www.lomography.com/magazine/reviews/2013/04/24/m42-lenses-the-carl-ze...ektogon-2-8-35
08-24-2014, 12:28 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mukkinn Quote
About Ebay, I never thought about this possibility, I think it's a great idea to let the market evaluate the price, thanks ! I don't have any illusions about the amount of money I can get with it, but you're right, we never know
Yes, let the market decide the price along with what you originally paid and what the lens is worth to you. One thing you can do is to post the lens for sale on the marketplace here at the price you would like.* If it sells, good. If it does not, you can lower the price.

FWIW, your lens is not an early example. The early lenses were of all metal construction in silver or zebra finish. I found a few references to this style of lens in various mounts and the bakelite grip seems to be relatively rare. A collector might pay extra for that.

Steve

* It is against forum rules to sell or promote for sale an item in any of the discussion areas.

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-24-2014 at 01:04 PM.
08-24-2014, 01:29 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I also have a Flektogon 35mm f2.4 electro, but am still evaluating it. Colours are nice and vibrant, it is sharp stopped down, and its main feature is its minimum focus distance - it is almost a macro lens! But beyond that, I think my DA 35mm is ever so slightly better, and along with much lighter weight and full automation (auto aperture, focus) it becomes the preferred lens. Now consider how cheap a brand new DA 35mm is. I think people pay so much for those Flektogons especially because it says Zeiss on them. I paid around 50 euro for mine, and wouldn't be willing to pay much over 60. But some people will pay extra, because it might be collectable. To each their own. I hope you find one like that, if/when you sell
08-24-2014, 01:34 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I think people pay so much for those Flektogons especially because it says Zeiss on them.
...that and the aperture ring clicky feels really nice...at least on the older zebras

Steve

(...really likes the zebras...)
08-24-2014, 01:50 PM   #15
Veteran Member

lol sure, they are built like tanks and made for smooth manual focusing. my copy has some resistances in the focusing ring, though