Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2014, 07:07 AM   #1
Unregistered User

Can a Pentax lens do this?

This image is so refined...

http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20117/big_2221_L1013999Edit_2.jpg

I love everything about this image. The lady is no dazzling beauty, but that is quite beside the point. It's the colour rendition, it's the atmosphere, it's the sense of solitude...not a single soul to be seen - apart from her, right in the middle of the city.

It's Leica M9 and Summilux 35mm 1.4.

My question is: can any Pentax lens compete with the Summilux?

08-25-2014, 07:12 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think so. I've got a Tak or two that could give this one a run for it's money I think.
08-25-2014, 07:15 AM   #3

Absolutely. The SMC FA* 85mm f1.4 comes to mind.
08-25-2014, 07:15 AM   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DominicVII Quote
My question is: can any Pentax lens compete with the Summilux?
If that image is truly representative of the capability of the Sumilux, then I think several Pentax lenses could compete with/outperform it. It looks a bit soft to me, and the bokeh is actually quite harsh.

08-25-2014, 07:18 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
According to some users here, it's possible with a Pentax kit lens on maybe a K-30 or later model, the K-x just not making it....
08-25-2014, 07:23 AM   #6
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
If that image is truly representative of the capability of the Sumilux, then I think several Pentax lenses could compete with/outperform it. It looks a bit soft to me, and the bokeh is actually quite harsh.
I'm sure the Tamron 90 closed down would come out sharper, but it would kill the atmosphere at the same time.
08-25-2014, 07:26 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just looking from my phone, I can tell you, almost yes. I have Leica M9 and Summicrons, not Summiluxes. I have tried to duplicate effects y Summilux with limited success. However, using my K3 and the Smc Takumar 55/1.8, I am sure I can do it.

08-25-2014, 07:31 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I'm sure the Tamron 90 closed down would come out sharper, but it would kill the atmosphere at the same time.
You wouldn't even need to stop it down. The Tamron 90 is sharp wide open, more than enough for portrait, and it's bokeh is lovely. It just won't be thin enough DOF to achieve the look in the image given those distances - but a 85 F1.4 would be sufficient.
08-25-2014, 07:38 AM - 3 Likes   #9
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

but it would kill the atmosphere at the same time.
Respectfully, I think the scene, the lighting, the composition, the the look on the face of the very attractive woman, all coming together perfectly at the right time, is what is creating the atmosphere that makes this picture what it is. I don't believe it has anything to do with the lens. In fact, as I alluded to above, a lens with better bokeh qualities would have made an even more striking picture.
08-25-2014, 07:45 AM   #10
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Respectfully, I think the scene, the lighting, the composition, the the look on the face of the very attractive woman, all coming together perfectly at the right time, is what is creating the atmosphere that makes this picture what it is. I don't believe it has anything to do with the lens. In fact, as I alluded to above, a lens with better bokeh qualities would have made an even more striking picture.
Of course lens makes a difference. Shoot with a state of the art DA lens or the Tamron 90, and the pictures will come out too clinical. What is good, what is bad bokeh? This is a domain in which things get all too subjective. In this urban setting, the bokeh strikes me as being spot on. But you are right about the circumstantial factor: lens alone will not suffice.
08-25-2014, 07:54 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I don't think that photo is all that special. Blown out highlight, subject very centered with a lot of negative space above her head and the body cut off.
The things OP listed that make it special are the content (composition, subject, objects, lighting) more than rendering itself (which is only colour, sharpness, and bokeh).
I think of the current lineup DA* 55mm or FA 43mm or FA 77mm would all be in that ballpark in terms of quality. Of course, each lens has a unique style of rendering, depending on its construction.
The rest is up to the photographer - to make sure there are no people, that the light is good, the focus is right, the aperture and shutter speed are sensible, and post processing (notice the photo has "edit" in its name, which might imply the PP was stronger than just regular Lightroom PP).
The main "problem" for Pentax to achieve an imitation of that photo is that in that photo a 35mm f1.4 lens was used on full frame, and Pentax has no lens with such a fast aperture in the wide angles; and the Pentax cameras are crop. Even using the DA* 55mm would give a very different feeling to the photo, because 55mm is tele. The DoF would be more shallow, bokeh more pronounced, and the background would seem "closer" to the subject.

So no: no current Pentax lens on a current Pentax DSLR can imitate that photo. But in terms of sharpness and bokeh, I think you can find lenses that are at least as good. If you really want to use Pentax gear you can do the following:
-Film camera (cheap Pentax full frame good DR and nice colours), with FA 31mm.
-Pentax DSLR with legacy or third party lens like Samyang 24mm f1.4 or one of those fancy Zeiss lenses or even a Sigma. Then there are all the lenses you can adapt
-645D/Z might be able to reach a similar field of view, compression and bokeh.

Actually, it would be interesting to see if any of the members on this forum could imitate that photo. I know a lot of the members here have some nice legacy lenses. Could FA 24mm come close? I have a gap between 28mm and 14mm, so my lenses wouldn't be very suitable for this usage. I am still waiting for Pentax to make a new lens in that range

Last edited by Na Horuk; 08-25-2014 at 08:08 AM.
08-25-2014, 07:55 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think that there are a number of Pentax lenses that match this, perhaps doing a bit better with the bokeh. That said, I think that the real question is if the photographer holding the camera, can put all the elements together, and execute the shot as well?

08-25-2014, 07:55 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Honestly the background looks blurred and faked, like they made it more OOF in post or something? But any longer lens can get you out of focus with a fast aperture
08-25-2014, 07:57 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I believe I could replicate with a super tak 85mm f1.9, smc pentax A* 200mm f4 macro, smc pentax K 135mm f2.4 although I believe the bokeh produced would be creamier and less distracting

A little PPing would be required to boost contrast in the super tak and colour vibrance for all three lenses

Regards

Mark
08-25-2014, 08:01 AM   #15
Pentaxian

You might be able to come close to duplicating this shot with a Pentax lens if you were willing to put up with a tighter FOV; but if you insisted on duplicating the FOV with a Pentax lens, you might struggle to find a wide angle that would be fast enough to duplicate the narrow DOF of this shot on Pentax DSLR. The FA* 24 f2 would come the closest.
Closed Thread