Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2014, 11:05 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How does the FA77 compare to VL-Nokton 58mm?

I am just wondering how the FA77 compares to VL-Nokton 58mm?
Especially on the K3. Can anyone post some pics with the VL-Nokton 58mm on aK3?
Can the Tak 55/1.8 compare with these two?

Last edited by debakarma; 08-25-2014 at 11:11 AM.
08-25-2014, 12:40 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Comparing the DA*55/1.4 to the VL 58/1.4 would have more sense in FL i guess.

The Tak 55/1.8 is much older but is the same design as the DA 50/1.8 or the FA 50/1.7 for example.

Comparing the Tak to the VL doesn't have much sens. It's comparing apple to oranges.

I have never use the VL 58, but the DA*55 is nothing short of excellent. Sharp at 1.4 (if you have propser focusing.), color rendering is perfect, not real vigneting visible.
08-25-2014, 02:36 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by debakarma Quote
I am just wondering how the FA77 compares to VL-Nokton 58mm?
Especially on the K3. Can anyone post some pics with the VL-Nokton 58mm on aK3?
Can the Tak 55/1.8 compare with these two?
I was trying to get one of the VL Nokton 58mm lens. However, I could not find the K-mount version from CameraQuest. FA 77mm is currently out of my budget and I guess I need to wait (or be happy with the DA 50mm f1.8)..
08-25-2014, 07:04 PM   #4
Pentaxian

They are both spherical lenses, so optically they are very similar. The biggest contrast is the colour rendering on the Voigtlander lens is a bit colder, the FOV is noticeably different too.

QuoteOriginally posted by emsee Quote
I was trying to get one of the VL Nokton 58mm lens. However, I could not find the K-mount version from CameraQuest.
The Voigtlander 58mm f/1.4 SL has been discontinued for some time, the parent company that produces them (Cosina) has also stopped making Zeiss lenses for Pentax K mount.

08-27-2014, 09:44 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I had the VL for many years, but was sadly stolen. The insurance company replaced it with an FA77, which was well done on their part.

I actually started a thread on this topic a couple years back: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/183066-anyo...-fa77-ltd.html

There is some good info to read in there if you're interested.

Bottom line now that I've owned both: FA77 takes the cake easily.

The VL has perfect build quality and focusing mechanics, but the wide open performance always bothered me. Turns out it's just the effect that a double-gauss design at this focal length provides. I went on a hunt for a "different" 50, and the closest I got was the auto-takumar 55s, which are still double-gauss, but unlike any other 50s I've tried (I'm guessing it's the lack of SMC coating that made the difference). That said, even that auto-tak would be soft if it was designed as a f/1.4. The new Zeiss Otus, Sigma Art, and announced yesterday Samyang 50 are whole new designs that perform much better at large apertures.

The FA77 on the other hand is sharp throughout the aperture range, and produces some marvelous renderings that really do make me appreciate it. The VL can render things great as well, but not moreso than another fast 50 double-gauss design. Funny thing is that the FA77 shares a similar double-gauss design but with an additional floating element (and of course longer focal length). As for handling, while the manual focus isn't as smooth as the VL, it works well, and everything else is top notch.

Hope this helps - both are great lenses, but I'd rather hold out for the new Samyang to cover the 50mm range.

Last edited by jeffshaddix; 08-27-2014 at 09:49 PM.
08-28-2014, 10:57 AM   #6
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Just buy 'em both and send me the reject one.
09-05-2014, 07:15 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks guys for the input.
The VL-58mm is closer to the ideal FOV I am looking for. I have the 77Ltd which I use less often as I like to get close to the subject. The 43Ltd which is I also have is getting more mileage these day, but 50-58mm is kind of ideal for me. I have briefly used a borrowed DA55*, but the color rendering is too cool and clinical (perhaps its to do with my technique).
I would love to get the VL-58mm, if anyone is selling.
09-05-2014, 09:01 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I have briefly used a borrowed DA55*, but the color rendering is too cool and clinical (perhaps its to do with my technique).
i think it has more to do with the White balance.

When i set WB manually with the DA*55, skin tones are perfect, and the light is usualy with a very very subtle tint of yellow (tint that many people that see the printed photo don't perceive, but they often say : it have the look of summer days somehow ...).

Otherwise, tones are vivid, but real (not oversaturated as often).

(Yes, i love this lens on film and digital ...)

09-06-2014, 04:52 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Thanks guys for the input.
The VL-58mm is closer to the ideal FOV I am looking for. I have the 77Ltd which I use less often as I like to get close to the subject. The 43Ltd which is I also have is getting more mileage these day, but 50-58mm is kind of ideal for me. I have briefly used a borrowed DA55*, but the color rendering is too cool and clinical (perhaps its to do with my technique).
I would love to get the VL-58mm, if anyone is selling.
Color rendering is finetuned incamera or in photoshop these days.

The Voigtländer has no AF, precise manual focus is not easy with K3 unless you sue live view. Precise AF is also not easy, but much easier to finetune. The DA*55 wins for me. I sold my FA77 for the 55 really appreciate the 55 on the K3. The DA*55 is just lacking freinds in the 85100-135 range or a companion around 24 mm...