Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2014, 05:46 AM   #1

K5 vs. *istDS Stock Lenses

Can anyone tell me whether or not the stock lens that came with my *istDS is the same as the stock lens on the K5? I purchased a *istDS several years ago with the stock lens and have recently purchased a K5 body. If the stock lens that came with the *istDS is the same as what would have come with the K5 (had I not purchased just the body) then I'll keep the *istDS's stock lens and use it on the K5. If they're different then does it make sense to buy the lens that would have come with the K5?

Hope I'm making sense and thanks for any feedback!

-Dave

08-26-2014, 05:58 AM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DJS22867 Quote
Can anyone tell me whether or not the stock lens that came with my *istDS is the same as the stock lens on the K5? I purchased a *istDS several years ago with the stock lens and have recently purchased a K5 body. If the stock lens that came with the *istDS is the same as what would have come with the K5 (had I not purchased just the body) then I'll keep the *istDS's stock lens and use it on the K5. If they're different then does it make sense to buy the lens that would have come with the K5?

Hope I'm making sense and thanks for any feedback!

-Dave
They are different. Pentax redesigned the optical formula of the 18-55mm in 2008 and discontinued the original 18-55mm. The updated lens actually has considerably better image quality

Original 18-55mm (discontinued):
SMC Pentax-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

18-55mm mark II (discontinued):
SMC Pentax-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL II Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

18-55mm mark II w/ weather sealing:
SMC Pentax-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

18-55mm mark II w/plastic mount (budget version):
SMC Pentax-DA L 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL Reviews - DA L Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

18-55mm mark II w/plastic mount and weather sealing (budget version):
SMC Pentax-DA L 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR Reviews - DA L Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

The last 4 lenses above all share the same improved optical formula. The last 3 are in production; the third one (DA WR) is the one that came with your K-5.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-26-2014, 11:41 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
They are different. Pentax redesigned the optical formula of the 18-55mm in 2008 and discontinued the original 18-55mm. The updated lens actually has considerably better image quality

Original 18-55mm (discontinued):
SMC Pentax-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

18-55mm mark II (discontinued):
SMC Pentax-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL II Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

18-55mm mark II w/ weather sealing:
SMC Pentax-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

18-55mm mark II w/plastic mount (budget version):
SMC Pentax-DA L 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL Reviews - DA L Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

18-55mm mark II w/plastic mount and weather sealing (budget version):
SMC Pentax-DA L 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR Reviews - DA L Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

The last 4 lenses above all share the same improved optical formula. The last 3 are in production; the third one (DA WR) is the one that came with your K-5.
Adam

If you go back fully for digital kit lenses, the *istD when it was first released, came with the FA-J 18-35. optically I think it was better than the first DA 18-55 and, for film fans it was a full frame lens. In stores today, the first & second generation Da18-55 lenses (metal and plastic mount) go for $40 used, while the FA-J 18-35 sells for about $150 used in the same condition, plastic mount and all
08-29-2014, 04:02 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the quick and thorough replies! I think I'll stick with my current lens since I've so far been quite happy with it. I was just concerned that I might be missing out on some aspect of functionality by using it with my "new" K5. Since it seems such isn't the case I'll sit tight with what I already have. Thanks again!

08-30-2014, 05:34 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Adam

If you go back fully for digital kit lenses, the *istD when it was first released, came with the FA-J 18-35. optically I think it was better than the first DA 18-55 and, for film fans it was a full frame lens. In stores today, the first & second generation Da18-55 lenses (metal and plastic mount) go for $40 used, while the FA-J 18-35 sells for about $150 used in the same condition, plastic mount and all
I had the FAJ18-35 - it came as the kit lens with the *istD. It was extremely lightweight - good from that point of view. But I don't think it was much better optically than the 18-55, if at all - at the time there was a lot of complaining on forums about the softness of it. People like me went out and bought the cheapo Sigma 18-50 - now that really was a mistake!! From bad to worse.

I gave the FAJ18-35 away with a different older body (*istDS, I think), so I have never really done a comparison in an organised way.

Tim