Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2014, 03:54 PM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I liked the K135/2.5 a lot except for size, maybe a bit of convenience, and the minimum focus distance. I sold mine but ended up with two alternatives. The M120/2.8 is a lot smaller, the A135/2.8 is somewhat smaller. Both have hoods and shorter minimum focus distance, while keeping 8 aperture blades. I really like results from either one. I have no idea about MTF or whatever. The A135/2.8 looks bad on paper because it only has 4 elements, but it's worth trying.
As with nearly any manual Pentax lens - the difference between what an old film guy said was bad and good in 1990 is invisible to me. They're all good lenses.

It comes down to what I like to hold and use. The mass and glass of the K135/2.5 or the K200/2.5 or K35/2 appeals to me in and of itself - I like the over-engineered stuff from the 60's (Tak's) and 70's for what it is. Other people like the M's for delivering the same or better IQ in a petite package, or the A lenses for their contacts. Since they're all hobby lenses anyway it is reduced to the Mustang versus Camaro argument.

08-29-2014, 04:28 PM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
As with nearly any manual Pentax lens - the difference between what an old film guy said was bad and good in 1990 is invisible to me. They're all good lenses.

It comes down to what I like to hold and use. The mass and glass of the K135/2.5 or the K200/2.5 or K35/2 appeals to me in and of itself - I like the over-engineered stuff from the 60's (Tak's) and 70's for what it is. Other people like the M's for delivering the same or better IQ in a petite package, or the A lenses for their contacts. Since they're all hobby lenses anyway it is reduced to the Mustang versus Camaro argument.
Well put monochrome.

Like yourself it is the look and "feel" of many of the old K, M and some A series lenses that appeals to me.

Unless these old optics have been damaged or abused along the line they remain very servicable lenses thirty, forty or even fifty years after their manufacture. The old Taks are in a class of thier own when it comes to build quality. I only have two autofocus lenses a DA 70/2.4 and a DA* 16~50/2.8. I hope to add more at some point. The rest of my bag is filled with K, M and one A series lens and I use many of them often. Truth be told they are on my camera more often than the modern glass. I've never considered them "hobby" lenses but that's as good a way to describe them as any. The important thing is they still work well and I enjoy using them.

Tom G