Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2014, 12:14 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What's needed now for Pentax?

Now that the K-S1 is official, I think it's time for Pentax to upgrade the kit lens... it was once seen as "one of the best kit lenses" but everybody else has moved on.

What Pentax now needs is to take a hint from the other manufacturers that have different kit lenses for their models. Here's what I think would be needed:

- A very compact 18-50/3.5-5.6 to go with the K-S1.
What good is having a nice and compact camera, when the kit lens is still so big? Samsung has done an optically excelent, very compact 20-50mm kit lens. They took a page from Pentax on a lot of what they did in the past, maybe it's time for Pentax to get a clue from them as well... if Pentax can't do an 18-50, do 20-50 like Samsung did. If distortion in the wide end is a bit more than normal due to the compact design, just have a quick in-camera correction already set with every new camera they sell, that can be turned off if someone wants to use their own software instead.

- A faster, better 18-55mm. Or, 18-80 like rumored would be even better, but make it still affordable, and sharp wide open like the new Canon kit lens. If it can be at least 3.5-4.5 that would be fantastic. If it can be 2.8-4, even better.

Pentax makes user-friendly, compact cameras with great viewfinders - tools that photogs can love. But most people only buy one camera with a kit lens. Pentax needs to make that a better experience, so people will start telling other people how great they think Pentax is.

08-28-2014, 12:43 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Some wide angle plastic fantastics would be cool. Da 24mm f2.4 (based on the fa24 f2?), and maybe a da 18mm f3.5. Not something I'd buy personally (as an owner of the da15 and da21), but a cheapish wide angle prime would be nice to have in the line up for those new to pentax and photography in general. It's also something that may appeal to those iPhone hipsters looking to upgrade (most phones have a wide angle FOV, so it's probably more natural for the target audience of the k-s1)

A quick shift autofocus extension tube (helicoid maybe?).

The k-s1, 3 plastic fantastic primes, and an extension tube would be a pretty awesome kit.
08-28-2014, 12:43 PM   #3
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd rather see a 16-40 type kit lens that is fairly compact.
08-28-2014, 12:48 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Now that the K-S1 is official, I think it's time for Pentax to upgrade the kit lens... it was once seen as "one of the best kit lenses" but everybody else has moved on.

What Pentax now needs is to take a hint from the other manufacturers that have different kit lenses for their models. Here's what I think would be needed:

- A very compact 18-50/3.5-5.6 to go with the K-S1.
What good is having a nice and compact camera, when the kit lens is still so big? Samsung has done an optically excelent, very compact 20-50mm kit lens. They took a page from Pentax on a lot of what they did in the past, maybe it's time for Pentax to get a clue from them as well... if Pentax can't do an 18-50, do 20-50 like Samsung did. If distortion in the wide end is a bit more than normal due to the compact design, just have a quick in-camera correction already set with every new camera they sell, that can be turned off if someone wants to use their own software instead.

- A faster, better 18-55mm. Or, 18-80 like rumored would be even better, but make it still affordable, and sharp wide open like the new Canon kit lens. If it can be at least 3.5-4.5 that would be fantastic. If it can be 2.8-4, even better.

Pentax makes user-friendly, compact cameras with great viewfinders - tools that photogs can love. But most people only buy one camera with a kit lens. Pentax needs to make that a better experience, so people will start telling other people how great they think Pentax is.
If Pentax changed the kit lens focal length, people would ask "why don't they have an 18-55". What Pentax needs to do is add silent focusing, like everyone else. Perhaps a mark III of the optics would also be in order if we were to be picky, or just to drive more revenue

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-28-2014, 01:10 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If Pentax changed the kit lens focal length, people would ask "why don't they have an 18-55". What Pentax needs to do is add silent focusing, like everyone else. Perhaps a mark III of the optics would also be in order if we were to be picky, or just to drive more revenue
They could keep the current 18-55 WR, to sell with a midrange WR camera (like the K-50 and its successor)...

I forgot to mention about silent focusing, that is absolutely needed as well. And AF during filming, because nobody uses it yet it costs us points in comparison sites when we don't have it

The plastic wide angle is also something that is very needed.
08-28-2014, 01:19 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Agreed, silent focusing

We could also use some cheapish primes to expand the DA-L line

Look at what Nikon has for example in the 1.8 G series. No reason that Pentax can't answer that.

The problem is that we have some good entry level zoom, very few entry level primes, then we have really high quality, pro priced primes and zooms. We need more in the middle.

I know people love the 18-135. but wouldn't an 18-135 f4 be ever nicer?!
08-28-2014, 01:51 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Now that the K-S1 is official, I think it's time for Pentax to upgrade the kit lens. Samsung has done an optically excelent, very compact 20-50mm kit lens. They took a page from Pentax on a lot of what they did in the past, maybe it's time for Pentax to get a clue from them as well.
The Samsung 20-50mm is for mirrorless cameras.

Despite some initial confusion around here,
it's now clear that the KS-1 is a DSLR,
so it won't be getting a 2.5-times optical zoom that compact.

And even if Pentax did produce a 2.5-times zoom
that was smaller than the 3-times 18-55 zoom,
I'm sure there'd be a lot of whingeing about its limited range,
based on the complaints about the excellent DA 20-40!

BTW, Pentax has already produced a kit lens
that's more compact than almost anybody else's lens.
It's the DA 40 XS that came with the K-01,
but which also works very well on a DSLR.

Since it's really sharp, and the KS-1 has megapickles galore,
they just need to market it to beginners
as a "digital zoom", constant aperture f/2.8!
08-28-2014, 02:01 PM   #8
Forum Member

The cheaper wide angle primes are a FANTASTIC idea! I believe that a DA 24 f2.4 would sell like free beer. If they could make it around the size of the DA 35 f2.4 and add a touch of WR, and keep the price +/- $200 or so, I would buy one even though I have a DA21 ltd.

08-28-2014, 03:52 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MBike74 Quote
The cheaper wide angle primes are a FANTASTIC idea! I believe that a DA 24 f2.4 would sell like free beer. If they could make it around the size of the DA 35 f2.4 and add a touch of WR, and keep the price +/- $200 or so, I would buy one even though I have a DA21 ltd.
If a da24 f2.4 existed, and had the pedigree of the fa* behind it, I'd expect a list price of 200 to 250 to be sensible. Sod wr. It would just increase price, with no improvement to image quality. I'd rather see V3 limiteds released with wr (and maybe dc?). Keep the plastics cheap I say....

That's kinda why I see a need for a modern 18mm plastic as well (at around the 120-150 price point). A modern day 28mm f3.5 if you will....

---------- Post added 08-29-14 at 12:12 AM ----------

To add to my previous post here. I recently flogged my k-x + da40 to my sister at a very decent price (who's off on a round the world trip). When she asked about something a bit wider, you then have to gently break the news that the da21 is the 'cheap' option (and the good zooms aren't any cheaper). :/ [i included the 18-55 in the sale, but even she noticed it was 'crap' compared to the da40, and wanted something smaller. I lent her my da21 in the end, but the lack of a cheap wide prime is a big problem for those new to pentax).
08-28-2014, 04:48 PM   #10
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robthebloke Quote
If a da24 f2.4 existed, and had the pedigree of the fa* behind it, I'd expect a list price of 200 to 250 to be sensible. Sod wr. It would just increase price, with no improvement to image quality. I'd rather see V3 limiteds released with wr (and maybe dc?). Keep the plastics cheap I say....

That's kinda why I see a need for a modern 18mm plastic as well (at around the 120-150 price point). A modern day 28mm f3.5 if you will....

---------- Post added 08-29-14 at 12:12 AM ----------

To add to my previous post here. I recently flogged my k-x + da40 to my sister at a very decent price (who's off on a round the world trip). When she asked about something a bit wider, you then have to gently break the news that the da21 is the 'cheap' option (and the good zooms aren't any cheaper). :/ [i included the 18-55 in the sale, but even she noticed it was 'crap' compared to the da40, and wanted something smaller. I lent her my da21 in the end, but the lack of a cheap wide prime is a big problem for those new to pentax).
I never said anything about having an fa* pedigree. Sure that would cost more. I was referring to the DA35 f2.4, the plastic one. Not sure how you thought I was talking about FA anything when you quoted me. I do think WR would be worth it. I mean Pentax can crank out 18-55 WR lens for next to nothing. It can't cost much to add to a fresh design, it's basically o-rings. If you are adding it to an existing lens than you have to completely redesign tons of stuff, but when starting from scratch it doesn't cost much to add the grooves etc for the o-rings.

I also agree that a DA18 along the same lines would be brilliant.
08-28-2014, 04:57 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There are a lot of good ideas here. As unique and stylish as the K-S1 is it needs a lens styled to fit it, that 18-55 doesn't do it justice. I really think the lens pairing is the only thing that may hurt sales. Whether a zoom or prime, the target market for this camera needs the lens to have the same look, just color alone would help. Even those colored 35/2.4s that they sell in Japan would look great. I really like the idea of the 24/2.4, but why not a 20/4 (or 2.8) and even a 16? I would think a zoom would be OK on an entry level, but a wide or normal prime for most mid levels. The K-S1 is mid level performance, but it was designed to attract new customers, and I think it will, a newly designed zoom would have been good, but since they didn't I think they should have used the color 35s.

I was very happy to see the new WR kit zooms that came with the K-50, because I think Pentax should make all of the lenses WR.
08-28-2014, 05:16 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MBike74 Quote
I never said anything about having an fa* pedigree. Sure that would cost more. I was referring to the DA35 f2.4, the plastic one. Not sure how you thought I was talking about FA anything when you quoted me. I do think WR would be worth it. I mean Pentax can crank out 18-55 WR lens for next to nothing. It can't cost much to add to a fresh design, it's basically o-rings. If you are adding it to an existing lens than you have to completely redesign tons of stuff, but when starting from scratch it doesn't cost much to add the grooves etc for the o-rings.

I also agree that a DA18 along the same lines would be brilliant.
Originally at the top of this thread I mentioned the fa* 24 being the basis for a new plastic, that's why (and the only reason I think that would be a good idea, rather than a new design, is that we'd have 3 FF plastic fantastics). The reason the 35mm f2.4 has been so popular is primarily due to its f2.0 lineage (rather than the less impressive f2.8 versions IMHO). If pentax do a 24, I'd hope they'd stick to the same approach, and base it on the best design possible.

Point taken about the o-rings. I'm more concerned by the lack of glass at the wide focal lengths though.

An 18mm would need to be a new design, so apsc only, but I'd prefer to see a good FF compatible 24mm first though (my z1-p would be thankful!).

---------- Post added 08-29-14 at 01:31 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I really like the idea of the 24/2.4, but why not a 20/4 (or 2.8) and even a 16?
I own the pentax-a 20mm f2.8, and frankly, it's not that great (the da21 kicks it arse in every way possible). Since the 20/2.8 and 24/2.0 are the most recent of the retired wide angle film lenses, I imagine they'd be the easiest to bring back into service. I know which one I'd want to see!

If it's a new wide angle design, then awesome (but that would mean any future ff camera would max out with the 31mm as the widest prime available at launch, or the 35mm as the one most people would actually own).

I'd be happy to pay a slight premium for a good 24 mm street lens, with decent bokeh, that's based on a good ff design. Just my 2 cents....
08-28-2014, 06:33 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I keep hoping for the tiny M 28 f/2 to get remade.
SMC Pentax-M 28mm F2 Reviews - M Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
215g!!!

I think 'hipsters' that this camera targets would be OK with only having a prime lens. Their smartphones don't zoom. I think they would feel comfortable with camera with a prime lens that matched the FOV of their smart phones. The advantage would be the bigger aperture would suit night shooting and get better results than the kit.
08-28-2014, 07:10 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I'd like Pentax to have a pair of better-than-kit-quality zooms. Pentax had something like this with the 16-45, but the poor design/construction (barrel wobble) killed it. There's a huge gap in weight, size, and price from the kit lenses to the 16-50 and 60-250 pair. I'm not that concerned about WR, but quick shift and a non-rotating filter ring would be nice.

Besides zero barrel wobble, I'd like quality control in general to be sufficient that I don't have to buy a dozen copies in hopes of finding one good one.

And please no more lenses, plastic, metal or otherwise, without bayonet hood mounting flanges.
08-28-2014, 08:46 PM   #15
Pentaxian

18-135, 55-300 are a decent pair. But not f/4.