Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2014, 02:33 PM   #1
Veteran Member

sigma 30 something options

luxury problem...

Is the sigma art 35 1.4 worth twice the price of the 30 1.4 art version?
should i consider the 18-35 instead? this one seems very big & heavy though..

Suppose nobody will have all three of them ;-), but looking for some practical experience..

btw: i have a K3, DA15, DA70, DA18-55 / 55-300 and a bunch of m lenses.
used to have a 16-45, but one of my cats thought it looked better on the floor than on the table..

And i would use it for video as well.

All thoughts welcome...

08-29-2014, 02:48 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you the sort of photographer that keeps an eye out for good brick walls to measure the distortion on your lenses, and worries that your corners aren't as sharp as they could be? If so, then yes, the Art 35 is worth twice the price. It also has much less chromatic aberration. However, if size, weight, and cost are more important, then the Art 30 may be for you, although it has been known to have issues with slow/inaccurate focusing on the K3/5/30/50.
08-29-2014, 06:40 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
FYI, there's a Sigma 35 refurb available from Sigma's online store for $679.

35mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Refurbished | Sigma Corporation of America
08-29-2014, 09:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

What are you going to be taking pictures of, and how are you going to be using the lens?

If you're like me, and will mostly use it to photograph people, and will usually be using larger apertures, then the 30mm makes more sense for the money. It's terrifically sharp in the center, even at f1.4. And from what I've heard, the new 30mm doesn't really offer any significant image quality advantage over the old EX version, so you may be able to save a little coin there (assuming you can live without HSM, as the old 30mm did not have it for K-mount). I haven't noticed my own 30mm to be particularly noisy though. Perhaps because it's a small/light lens?

If, on the other hand, you will be using the lens frequently for street photography, architecture, landscape and other pursuits where edge-to-edge sharpness is important, and will be stopping down for increased depth of field, then you will probably be better off with the 35mm, since the 30mm isn't great at the edges/corners.

If I find some time later, I might post some samples from my own 30mm EX used in various circumstances.

08-29-2014, 10:46 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The Sigma 35mm is pretty massive, but it's the way to go if you want optical perfection. I personally think that its bokeh is to die for.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-30-2014, 02:10 AM   #6
Veteran Member

definitely ruled out these?

Pentax FA 35mm f2
Pentax FA 31mm f1.8
Samyang 35mm f1.4
08-30-2014, 02:50 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Conqueror Quote
definitely ruled out these?

Pentax FA 35mm f2
Pentax FA 31mm f1.8
Samyang 35mm f1.4
let's say i do want AF and a big manual focus ring for when i do video. that is why I like the art series & ruling out the ones you mention.
31 1.8 might still be an option though.

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
What are you going to be taking pictures of, and how are you going to be using the lens?
It will need to play a very versatile role. It's supposed to be my only lens in between 15 and 70mm... I don't use the 18 55 anymore. I have been spoiled by the quality of my ltd's and my former 16-45. And to answer on other things put forward: bokeh e.g. is more important than edge sharpness.
cost? it's just money i guess... & somewhere i do have the feeling the 35 might be a better investment.
the refurb? live in europe, so no go.

is the 35 really that massive? I tend to leave my grip on.. Don't know how it balances with that.

A friend of mine left me a message yesterday that she bought the 30mm art for her canon. So i will be able to give that one a thorough test!
I have read that it does outperform the prior 30 ex version. not sure whether this is just a vague statement from happy buyers.

08-30-2014, 04:21 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I'm guessing the 43ltd is a bit long for you. Its a nice pairing with the 70mm although you will probably wan't a 21ltd too!
08-30-2014, 06:53 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
the new 30mm doesn't really offer any significant image quality advantage over the old EX version
I have both, and I'd have to disagree with that. While the EX 30 has famously soft corners all the way to f/16, the Art 30 corners are quite usable, at least when stopped down a little. Not in the same league with the Art 35 or FA 31 Ltd, of course. (Wide open, I'm still not sure if the corners are soft, or just overwhelmed by CA.)
08-30-2014, 12:02 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
I have both, and I'd have to disagree with that. While the EX 30 has famously soft corners all the way to f/16, the Art 30 corners are quite usable, at least when stopped down a little. Not in the same league with the Art 35 or FA 31 Ltd, of course. (Wide open, I'm still not sure if the corners are soft, or just overwhelmed by CA.)
It seems like when the new 30mm first came out, I read a review that concluded that the optical performance was not greatly changed...strong in the center and weak at the edges. If that's not the case, then I may have to give the new one a harder look. I've been very pleased with my old 30mm, but better is always better!

Last edited by Edgar_in_Indy; 08-30-2014 at 04:49 PM.
08-30-2014, 02:11 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
I'm guessing the 43ltd is a bit long for you. Its a nice pairing with the 70mm although you will probably wan't a 21ltd too!
you guessed right.
I'm really looking at the focal 30 to 35mm.
I know i love using my M28mm on apsc.

but apart from that: the 21ltd will be on my list at some point :-)
08-31-2014, 12:08 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have been using both Art 35DG and and 18-35DC with K-30 as well as with K-3 and did not find them unpleasantly huge to handle, as DA*60-250 ( for example, in my opinion ) is.
It probably would be a different story if I would try to use them with grip-less K-S1
09-05-2014, 12:29 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
You should'nt have said that. :-)
the FA43 & FA31 combined with my da15 and da70 would be a great package...

the thing the FA's have going for it, is that is has a manual aperture ring if i ever wanted to use it on a different system.

In real world, is there a lot of difference between 1.4 and 1.8 on apsc when it comes to bokeh (talking about street shots e.g. thus not focusing closely like with flowers or so)?
09-05-2014, 01:56 PM   #14
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
You should'nt have said that. :-)
the FA43 & FA31 combined with my da15 and da70 would be a great package...

the thing the FA's have going for it, is that is has a manual aperture ring if i ever wanted to use it on a different system.

In real world, is there a lot of difference between 1.4 and 1.8 on apsc when it comes to bokeh (talking about street shots e.g. thus not focusing closely like with flowers or so)?
Size is also a big factor I would say.
09-07-2014, 11:44 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Late_July Quote
Size is also a big factor I would say.
well, I checked out some review videos on the net & thought i heard quite some noise when focusing (even manually) the FA31.
Any mic would pick that up for video I guess. Can someone confirm?
Otherwise it is certainly a lens to consider because of the size and aperture ring.

I am a bit leaning towards the sigma 35 1.4 though because of the 1.4 and the very good reviews on it.
(+ might be easier to use filters on it..).