Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2008, 12:44 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Managed to get a Vivitar PKA/PKR version off Ebay which turned up today. After some surgery to remove the Ricoh pin I teamed it up with my Tamron 90mm macro MF lens.

Result: VERY impressed

07-01-2008, 07:08 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I purchased a 2x macro converter that looks similar to Vivitar 2x Macro.

On the adapter, it has wording as follows:

Kenko 2x kAX Macro Teleplus MC7

and the adapter has all the electric contacts plus mechanical aperture linkage. I have tried it on various lens, the results varies as I actually can't seem to get a focus confirmation easily. I can't find the user menu, do anyone have a link to the user menu. What I did after mounting:

For Macro, I get problems in obtaining focus
1. extend the adapter close to 1:1 marking (long adapter)
2. focus manually to infinity on lens
3. find an object and use trap focus

For Tele, I seem to get focus much easier
1. Turn adapter to the 'infinity side'/50mm side (short adapter)
2. trap focus in AF.C as any manual lens

With the adapter mounted, I use AF.C as I want to make use of focus trap to help me confirm the focus. Any tutorials about using this adapter would be greatly appreciated.

A side note, I am very much into expanding my two 1:2 macro lens with Pentax K 100mm f/4.0 1:2 Macro and Pentax A 50mm f/2.8 1:2 Macro. Besides the adapter, I have also purchased a Vivitar AT-22 12-20-36mm extension tubes. Compared to the adapter, the extension tubes seems much harder to use as focus trap is lost in losing the electrical contacts, though the AT-22 still has the mechanical aperture linkage to do stop-down metering

Thanks,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 07-01-2008 at 08:08 PM.
07-01-2008, 07:32 PM   #33
Veteran Member

I have the same adaptor. This is how I use this adaptor.

To get exact 1:1 magnification, attach a 50mm lens to the converter, turn it to its close focus end (0.45M) and leave it there, then turn the converter to the green 1:1 marking, move the camera to get object in focus. I have split image focus screen that makes this job a bit easier.

0.45M/50MM -- with a 50MM lens set to 0.45M focus distance you can have magnification from 1:1 to 1:3 (green numbers)

infinity/50MM -- with a 50MM lens set to infinity you can get magnification from 1:x to 1:20.
07-01-2008, 07:45 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
With the 2X and lens, your best bet is as DDHYTZ said, set the system up to 1:1 and move the camera. The best way to do this is to get a macro rail system and mount it on a tripod.

07-01-2008, 07:48 PM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ddhytz Quote
I have the same adaptor. This is how I use this adaptor.

To get exact 1:1 magnification, attach a 50mm lens to the converter, turn it to its close focus end (0.45M) and leave it there, then turn the converter to the green 1:1 marking, move the camera to get object in focus. I have split image focus screen that makes this job a bit easier.

0.45M/50MM -- with a 50MM lens set to 0.45M focus distance you can have magnification from 1:1 to 1:3 (green numbers)

infinity/50MM -- with a 50MM lens set to infinity you can get magnification from 1:x to 1:20.
Thanks for the input. I think I get it now with my FA 50 f/1.4. Very impressive on the 1:1 macro from my FA 50 f/1.4, will show results later on. I previously tried it on other cheapo zoom lens that is not a fast prime and the results varies probably due to lost of light and it is much harder to focus as a result of light lost. With prime as in my FA 50 f/1.4, my A 50mm f/2.8 1:2 Macro, the macro seems to work fine. And I am yet to test both the results in macro as well as tele 2x. I think the macro works well as other have shown in this thread but I would have little expectation from the 2x tele. But I never know until I try it.

Do you know if the Kenko Teleplus 2x macro is the same as the Vivitar 2x macro. The appearance looks very similar and mine has makings in while and green going from 1:1 to 0.45m/50mm (in green) and 1:1.5 to infinity/50mm (in white).

I saw the last Vivitar 2x Macro get bid up to $121 in ebay. And I paid less than half with my Kenko Teleplus 2x Macro adapter. I wonder if they are actually very similar or not. Also, anyone tried the 2x tele on Vivitar? Though manual focus, the metering in Av mode works quite well in the setup.

Thanks,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 07-01-2008 at 07:53 PM.
07-01-2008, 07:55 PM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
With the 2X and lens, your best bet is as DDHYTZ said, set the system up to 1:1 and move the camera. The best way to do this is to get a macro rail system and mount it on a tripod.
Yes, that is how I get it working. Thanks for the input. I need to go back to the rail suggestion thread. I am not a tripod guy and it seems it is crucial in macro.

Thanks!
Hin
07-02-2008, 12:59 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
Do you know if the Kenko Teleplus 2x macro is the same as the Vivitar 2x macro. The appearance looks very similar and mine has makings in while and green going from 1:1 to 0.45m/50mm (in green) and 1:1.5 to infinity/50mm (in white).

I saw the last Vivitar 2x Macro get bid up to $121 in ebay. And I paid less than half with my Kenko Teleplus 2x Macro adapter. ..
Don't know if they are the same. Mine does not have 'Kenko' on the body.

eBay is a funny place. I have seen two on Aus eBay. One had 'Buy-it-Now' of $60, but no one wanted it. The other one, finished one week ago went for $153 PENTAX CONVERTER..2X MACRO TELEPLUS MC7+2 COVERS & CASE - eBay Pentax, Lenses, Film Cameras, Lenses, Cameras. (end time 24-Jun-08 22:08:05 AEST)

Mine does not focus at infinity, so it can't be used as 2X tele converter.

Does yours have the Ricoh pin? Mine did and it was OK on ist DS, but got stuck on K10D. It was not hard to remove it though.

Last edited by ddhytz; 03-06-2009 at 08:17 PM.
07-02-2008, 01:01 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
I think I need a macro rail system.

07-02-2008, 08:55 AM   #39
Moo

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P Quote
Managed to get a Vivitar PKA/PKR version off Ebay which turned up today. After some surgery to remove the Ricoh pin I teamed it up with my Tamron 90mm macro MF lens.

Result: VERY impressed
Drat.. Wish I'd managed to keep my one of those..

How do these converters compare to the old Panagor one? (this..)

Last edited by Moo; 07-02-2008 at 09:08 AM.
07-02-2008, 01:17 PM   #40
Pentaxian

Don't know if they are the same. Mine does not have 'Kenko' on the body.

eBay is a funny place. I have seen two on Aus eBay. One had 'Buy-it-Now' of $60, but no one wanted it. The other one, finished one week ago went for $153 PENTAX CONVERTER..2X MACRO TELEPLUS MC7+2 COVERS & CASE - eBay Pentax, Lenses, Film Cameras, Lenses, Cameras. (end time 24-Jun-08 22:08:05 AEST)

Mine does not focus at infinity, so it can't be used as 2X tele converter.

Does yours have the Ricoh pin? Mine did and it was OK on ist DS, but got stuck on K10D. It was not hard to remove it though.
Thanks for the picture, yes, it looks very much like my converter. And you are right about Kenko not mentioned on the body, but when I look up the word for teleplus in search, it all goes with Kenko and hence my assumption.

I just test mine earlier with turning the adapter towards 'infinity'/0.45m end in retracting the adapter to the shortest and my FA 50 f/1.4 can focus at infinity with no problem in the 2x tele. My teleplus 2x macro has the serial number 9001098 and I don't notice any infamous Ricoh pin.

It will take some time for me to test both the Macro and Tele from the adapter but I get excited with the added capability with 1:1 macro and 2x tele with one adapter. All in a sudden, my FA 50 f/1.4 can do 1:1 and 100mm with a turn on the adapter. Of course, this can't replace the true macro and the short tele in 100mm, but the adapter really adds delight for fun for a good 50mm prime.

When I tried 1:1 macro on FA 50 f/1.4, wide open aperture gives quite obvious CA from the setup and things get better around f/4.0 and f/5.6. A bummer, but still useful. More time to use will tell....
07-02-2008, 03:14 PM   #41
Veteran Member

...I just test mine earlier with turning the adapter towards 'infinity'/0.45m end in retracting the adapter to the shortest and my FA 50 f/1.4 can focus at infinity with no problem in the 2x tele.
I may have done something wrong, will try it tonight again.
07-02-2008, 08:09 PM   #42
Pentaxian

I may have done something wrong, will try it tonight again.
I make some test shots with my Pentax FA 50mm f/1.4 and Pentax A 50mm f/2.8 1:2 Macro using the Teleplus 2x Macro adapter from Kenko. The results are not as dramatic as Mike's posting on the Fly's superb macro with Tamron MF 90mm f/2.8, but the adapter works reasonably good in converting a normal fast prime to better closeup and 1:1 macro. And I find the Tele in 2x not as shabby as I originally thought.

My impressions with the Kenko Teleplus 2x Macro with FA 50 f/1.4 is positive though I find some vignetting and CA in wide open apertures[/B] when I used it with FA 50 f/1.4. But overall, the adapter brings my beloved 50mm prime up a notch for fun. All six images are shot with the adapter and FA 50 f/1.4 in iso 200/400 with aperture ranging from 7.1 to 11. It is very windy in harsh lighting around 3 when I took a coffee break with no coffee.

#1 with FA 50 f/1.4
very tasty (or ugly to some) flower like a candy with coconut.

#4 on 2x tele
cropped (test at infinity focus with panning)

#5 on 2x tele
cropped

#6 on 2x tele
cropped

Flickr PhotoSet

I think I can recommend the Kenko Teleplus 2x Macro to others especially for those having a difficult time in finding/bidding the Vivitor 2x Macro. My version has the electrical contacts and all metering works and trap focus work extremely well for me. Others have confirmed that my Kenko 2x is indeed similar and identical to the Vivitar 2x Macro

Last edited by hinman; 09-22-2008 at 05:30 PM.
07-03-2008, 05:15 PM   #43
Pentaxian

Pictures of Kenko 2x Macro Teleplus MC7 adapter, there is no wording of Kenko but I assume it is from Kenko.

Thanks,
Hin
07-11-2008, 04:56 AM   #44
Veteran Member

I just test mine earlier with turning the adapter towards 'infinity'/0.45m end in retracting the adapter to the shortest and my FA 50 f/1.4 can focus at infinity with no problem in the 2x tele.
Finally I figured out why mine did not focus at infinity - the front half body was not assembled properly. I opened it up and adjusted it. Now it can focus at infinity.
07-11-2008, 10:48 AM   #45
Pentaxian

Finally I figured out why mine did not focus at infinity - the front half body was not assembled properly. I opened it up and adjusted it. Now it can focus at infinity.
You should be proud.