Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
07-11-2008, 05:14 PM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Wow, all this info is certainly enriching the thread. Glad to see some incredible photos as well. I think we can now assume the Kenko is the same device?

07-11-2008, 11:18 PM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
Result: VERY impressed
Holy.

Shit.

And please pardon my French, while I try to close my mouth...
09-22-2008, 05:32 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have a copy of Kenko 2x Macro Teleplus MC7 converter in Marketplace for sale. If anyone is considering this converter, please visit

Marketplace Sale Thread on Kenko 2x 1:1 Macro Teleplus MC7 converter

Thanks,
Hin
02-27-2009, 01:46 PM   #49

V2XMFTC on Ebay in UK

I've just noticed someone selling PENTAX ME-SUPER camera, and in the various accessories included is a 'VIVITAR 2X MACRO TELECONVERTER'.
Just thought I'd post a link in case anyone is having trouble tracking one down.

PENTAX ME SUPER WITH XTRA LENSES AND ACCESSORIES on eBay, also Pentax, 35mm SLR, Film Cameras, Photography (end time 02-Mar-09 15:08:26 GMT)

I'd bid for it, but I've just bought a film camera that I can't even see the model of, just to get the lens on the front of it, and my Ebay budget is well and truly spent this month.

02-28-2009, 08:55 AM   #50
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
> My impressions with the Kenko Teleplus 2x Macro with FA 50 f/1.4 is positive though I
> find some vignetting and CA in wide open apertures[/b] when I used it with FA 50 f/1.4.

Pentax has pointed out that the 50/1.7 and 50/2 lenses are better for macro work than the 50/1/4 and 50/1.2 lenses due to greater field curvature in the faster lenses (which is, I guess, another way of saying that the slower lenses are closer to "flat field" lenses). Therefore, I would assume that edges and corners would be softer with the faster lenses at close range. (?)
02-28-2009, 01:02 PM   #51
Veteran Member

I have the PK version (no pins) but find the Viv 2x tc a rather valuable item for Macro use. I dont use it for anything but macro.
I coupled it with my Vivitar Ser 1 105 macro lens, makes a rather cumbersome and heavy combo, but was rather pleased with my first efforts. Note the following were taken handheld, which I may have to avoid in future, and use the tripod for better results.

02-28-2009, 04:48 PM   #52

Hello everybody. Phil here. Looking to join the Takumar, Tamron, off brand and M clubs but saw this post., Just joined.

I have both the TCM Converter and the instruction 'manual' which is really a two sided double A4 sized leaflet, divided into 4 laguage sections. I don't have a scanner but the following extract may be of interest:

' Your new Vivitar Macro Focusing Teleconverter is a precision optical component designed to expand your photographic capabilites in two ways. As a premium quality 2X teleconverter it effectively doubles the focal length of the lens it's used with and maintains the resolution and contrst of any fine optic at a higher level than most standard teleconverters. In addition, the Vivitar Macro Teleconverter's unique focusing mechanism enables you to do macro work without modifying or adding other equipment to your lens/teleconverter combination, with the Macro Focusing Teleconverter your standard 50mm lens becomes a 100mm macro lens with a reproduction ratio of up to 1:1............

The Vivitar............is designed to work with a variety of high quality lenses: 50mm and other fixed focal length lenses from 28mm to 400mm, plus zoom lenses - including wide to tele and telephoto zooms..............

The Vivitar.........has two engraved focusing scales. Both of these scales are intended for reference when the MFTC is used with a standard 50mm lens. The numbers on both scales indicate magnifications (not distances). The blue scale is used when the prime lens is set to its closest focus position. On many 50mm lenses this is at a distance of 0.45m..........
The white scale shows magnifications when your prime lens is set to infinity..........

Lens alone Lens closest Lens closest
Viv furthest Viv closest

Canon 50mm 1.8
Max Mag 1:9.5 1:4.7 1:1.1

Viv 55mm 2.8 1:1 2:1 2.6:1
Macro

Viv 28-90 2.8-3.5
28mm 1:3.2 1:1.6 1.8:1
90mm 1:9.2 1:5.0 1:1.7

Viv 135 2.8 1:9 1:4.7 1:2.1

Viv 70-210 3.5
70mm 1:12 1:6.1 1:1.6
210mm 1:4 1:2.2 1:1.5

I purchased this new in the mid 80's with a Viv S1 70-210 and 28-105. Not so keen on the 2X doubling but the macro is excellent with wonderful Bokeh. It is especially good on the Viv 28mm variants, and probably other 28mm too

Phil

Great website. Hope I've spelt everything correctly. Nearly Midnight here, with a few beers.

06-07-2009, 10:13 AM - 1 Like   #53

Few from today

Few photos from 2x Vivitar MFTC + Pentax A50/1.7 (lovely combination!)

JPEGs straight from Pentax K-m, Bright, Fine Sharpness +2
Only resized.

06-08-2009, 06:42 PM   #54

great photos guys! sure makes a good case for the macro teleconverter if you dont have the $$ to drop for a proper macro lense.

just a quick question, when you turn to 1:1 magnification on the teleconverter, how much does your MFD change? compared to extension tubes where you have to get right up to the object, can you shoot at distance with the teleconverter?
06-08-2009, 07:45 PM   #55
F16

With a 50mm lens, using the TC at 1:1 will give you about 12" distance from the film (sensor) plane. So you're looking at probably about 5" between the end of your lens to your subject. Just using extension tubes to get to 1:1 on a 50mm, you're looking at maybe 8" to the film plane, and about 2 1/2 - 3" from the front of the lens to the subject. The reason for the difference is the TC is creating a longer lens focal length with the optics.
09-26-2009, 01:18 AM   #56
Veteran Member

Fly .. taken with Pentax K10D, Tamron Adaptall 2 90mm 72B f2.8 macro lens, Vivitar PK/A macro teleconverter and Sigma EM 140 DG Macro Flash

11-17-2009, 01:39 AM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Supposedly the same device is available with the brand names Panagor, Albinar and Lester Dine, but not in the "A" configuration. All were manufactured by Kiron.
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but as this is the 'definitive' one I'd thought I'd ask here

I have a Teleplus 2x Macro TC that looks very similar to the Vivitar unit. Is it the same optically but just branded differently?
11-17-2009, 08:00 AM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thoughton Quote
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but as this is the 'definitive' one I'd thought I'd ask here

I have a Teleplus 2x Macro TC that looks very similar to the Vivitar unit. Is it the same optically but just branded differently?
I replied earlier in the thread thinking that the Teleplus version is likely the same as the Vivitar equivalent. When I tested mine, results are quite good on using a 50mm.

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
Pictures of Kenko 2x Macro Teleplus MC7 adapter, there is no wording of Kenko but I assume it is from Kenko.

Thanks,
Hin
11-17-2009, 09:29 AM   #59
Veteran Member

Thanks Hin, somehow I missed pages 2, 3 and 4 of this thread

That's the same unit I already have. I've been quite pleased with it. It's produced good macro results when combined with a Tamron AD2 90/2.5 and usable telephoto results when combined with an SMC Takumar 135/2.5.

I'm only asking because I have found the Vivitar one for a decent price, but if it's the same as the Teleplus I already have I'll pass on it.

PS Love your blog.
11-17-2009, 11:39 AM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thoughton Quote
Thanks Hin, somehow I missed pages 2, 3 and 4 of this thread

That's the same unit I already have. I've been quite pleased with it. It's produced good macro results when combined with a Tamron AD2 90/2.5 and usable telephoto results when combined with an SMC Takumar 135/2.5.

I'm only asking because I have found the Vivitar one for a decent price, but if it's the same as the Teleplus I already have I'll pass on it.

PS Love your blog.
If I can share my LBA mistakes with you, please keep the converter even after you have the perfect 1:1 true macro prime lens. Truth be told: I have so many zooms that are 1:2 in close focus and this 2x 1:1 converter is doing better than many of my close focus lens. I sold mine for around $75.00 or something in that range. Was I so dead wrong? Please keep that converter and you will love it especially if you have a charming A 50mm lens such as the Pentax A 50mm f/1.7. The two combination gives you a real gem for a 100mm 1:1 macro on one end and a 100mm on the tele end, the macro does better than the tele but for price I pay for the converter, the cost value is huge. Just imagine the portability with Pentax A 50mm f/1.7 and this converter. You get two good primes in 50mm, 100mm along with 1:1 macro as a trio and you can add a Pentax pancake clones as in 24mm or a 28mm, it is a lightweight traveling kit on-low-budget that is hard to beat -- 28mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.7, 100mm f/3.2 1:1 macro (?) with two cheapo prime lens + 1 converter.

Important: It is my personal opinion that I prefer those converters with 'A' setting with label for P/K-A or something similar as you can meter in Av mode without stop-down is preferred.

And I would imagine the macro to be fantastic with the converter. Similar combo can happen if you have Pentax FA 50mm f/1.4 and the converter

Out of all the converters that I have used, the 2x 1:1 Macro Teleconverter and the Pentax AFA 1.7x TC are the most valuable converters for macro and tele purpose. A lot of cons can be said with the converter approach for the compromises that are subject to debate. My argument is on the low cost and occasional use for starter and flexibility into the LBA thinking of trying out different combination to achieve creativity that no one has done before.

Hin

Last edited by hinman; 11-17-2009 at 11:57 AM.