Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2008, 06:39 AM   #1

The rare F50mm f/1.4

I recently acquired this lens along with the 1.7X adapter, and I need some help in trying to determine a fair value for this lens. I purchased a 43 Limited last night, and I have the FA50. It seems that it has some collector value, but I am not sure. All suggestions are welcome.

05-11-2008, 07:14 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Pentax stopped production of the FA50mm f/1.4 some time ago, and 'new' (unused) units are getting rare.
It is such a great lens, I dare say there will be good trading in the used market for years to come, especially since Pentax has no direct replacement. The new lens, DFA 50mm f/2.8 Macro isn't quite the same.
But I doubt it will have much collector value, as the rarity value is not there.
Thousands of FA50's were sold over the years, and I'm pretty sure most of them are still in working condition. Its just that most owners seem to prefer to keep them.
05-11-2008, 07:25 AM   #3
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by coqui Quote
I recently acquired this lens along with the 1.7X adapter, and I need some help in trying to determine a fair value for this lens. I purchased a 43 Limited last night, and I have the FA50. It seems that it has some collector value, but I am not sure. All suggestions are welcome.
It is NOT a rare lens. It was widely available and comparatively inexpensive when the Pentax SF-1 and the SF-10 cameras were current models and many copies were sold. The SMC-F series was Pentax's first AF lens line, and many users did not like the narrow hard plastic focus ring. With the next series of AF lenses (SMC-FA) they switched to a slightly wider, rubber-textured focus ring. The FA lenses also have an updated computer chip that sends additional data back to the camera for newer cameras. Otherwise, many of the FA lenses, including the 50mm f1.4, are identical to the F series predecessors.

The optical design of the 50mm f1.4 is unchanged since the SMC-M 50mm f1.4 from the '70s. Similar designs are used in most 50mm f1.4 lenses from most manufacturers. (It is a 7 element derivative of the 6 element Zeiss Biotar from the 1950's).

I think that any claim that the SMC-F 50mm f1.4 is "a collector's item" or a "rare lens" is pure bunk. It was a widely-available, mass-produced lens with a well-know, tried and true optical formula. It is essentially the same as the SMC-FA 50mm f1.4 that is available new at a low price. If you want to sell your used copy then I would price it accordingly.

(Note: there was someone who was selling one of these lenses in the Pentax Forum Marketplace some time back. The seller made ridiculous claims that this lens was some kind of rare collector's item. That was just a load of bull. Do not rely on that fraudulent listing in describing your item.)
05-11-2008, 07:25 AM   #4

Original Poster
F50 not FA50

The lens I am referring to is the F version, not the FA. It seems that this lens did not sell to well while it was in production, but seems to have gathered some demand, maybe because of the higher rating over the FA version.

05-11-2008, 07:29 AM   #5

Original Poster
F50

I read that thread. Peter Zack, one of the members is the one that made the reference to the sales numbers. There was another thread that made reference to the higher rating.
05-11-2008, 10:43 PM   #6
Veteran Member

not sure if you'll get too many helpful answers, the lens is quite a mystery to most people.
maybe you can try one of those Buy it Now / Best Offer things on eBay and seeing who bites
05-11-2008, 11:00 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
@coqui

tru shoot some sample photos..
and put your reviewe here..

Pentax Lens Review Database - 50mm F1.4

youll be the first one who do that ..

--

05-12-2008, 04:54 AM   #8

Always funny to see how people is quick to post without reading first post and topic carefully.

I had the F50/1.7 and sold it fpr 900 SEK, that´s about 150 USD. If i were you i´d try to put it out for 300 USD if you want to get rid of it. With a higher prize you will get it sold to a collector, and you´ll probably get what you ask for.

My advice is to stick tight with it and dont rush. Some people want rare lenses and do want to pay for them too. I remember seeing a member on this forum having all the lenses in the "F"-series.
05-14-2008, 05:11 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks Eliasson, you are quite correct. K100D is also correct. I think I am going to keep the F and sell the FA. The FA is still available new and the F did score the highest Photodo score. If it is not a collectors piece, it has a better chance than the FA does. Now i have to decide between the F-1.7X Adapter and the Tamron 1.4X TC.
Suggestion please
05-14-2008, 06:09 AM   #10
Forum Member

The photodo score of the -F vs. the -FA is baloney. As previously stated, they both have the exact same optical formula. All you are seeing in the different score is sample-to-sample variation between the two particular lenses they tested.

That having been said, yes, there are people out there who will pay more for the -F version purely because of that one little number on the internet. Feel free to take them for all you can.