Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2007, 07:24 AM   #1
Ed in GA

DA 18-55 Kit lens

Good morning All,

I spent a great deal of the day yesterday out and about in Savannah, GA on my own little photo shoot.

I found that most everything I wanted to capture was in the range of the 18-55 Kit lens. There were a few shots with th DA 50-200 and a couple with the FA 35mm F2, but primarily with the kit lens.

Now, what I'm wondering....

I was quite pleased with the performance of the Kits lens. Resolution and color capture were both quite satisfactory But.....

Will the DA 16-45 be that much better? Is there enough difference to justify the purchase of the 16-45?

For those of you who have both, I'd like your opinions.

Thanks in advance.

Ed

01-29-2007, 08:24 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The 16-45 is larger and heavier, but it does deliver better photos. Since the zoom range is smaller, though, and it's slower than the kit at 16mm, I'd wait for the DA* 16-50/2.8 if I were you.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-29-2007, 03:07 PM   #3

16-45mm

QuoteOriginally posted by Mo Quote
The 16-45 is larger and heavier, but it does deliver better photos. Since the zoom range is smaller, though, and it's slower than the kit at 16mm, I'd wait for the DA* 16-50/2.8 if I were you.
Adam,
do you (or anyone else) care to share more specifics? What aspect of the 16-45mm makes it better?

I am considering an upgrade to the K10D and am thinking about leting the kit lens go with it. My question would be the same as Eddy; is the 16-45 enough better to pay the extra $?

I know I would like the wider angle, I'd love a 14mm or something in that range but will run out of funds before that happens.

i have heard speculation that the DA* lenses will likely start around $1000 - any truth to that ot just rumor?

Thanks,

Ed
01-29-2007, 03:13 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, I believe the DA*'s will be in the $1000 rage. Quality-wise, that's good news.

The kit lens is a "budget" lens whose production cost was minimized to the farthest extent by Pentax. Because of this, you see the 100% plastic barrel, vignetting, and 1.5 aperture loss at 55mm. This is not true of the 16-45mm, and thus it's better.

If you don't want to get the DA* lenses (which will probably almost match up to the FA*'s), I'd recommend you try regular FA zooms instead of the DA 16-45.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-29-2007, 05:19 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have to agree with Adam. I got the 16-55 about a year ago (give or take) the kit lens has been sitting on a shelf. I took it out a a while ago for all of two pictures and away it went. The 16-45 has been on my DS for I would say 75% of the time. I assume its new home the K10 will see the same kind of use.
01-30-2007, 12:10 PM   #6

16-45 or?

QuoteOriginally posted by Mo Quote
Yes, I believe the DA*'s will be in the $1000 rage. Quality-wise, that's good news.

The kit lens is a "budget" lens whose production cost was minimized to the farthest extent by Pentax. Because of this, you see the 100% plastic barrel, vignetting, and 1.5 aperture loss at 55mm. This is not true of the 16-45mm, and thus it's better.

If you don't want to get the DA* lenses (which will probably almost match up to the FA*'s), I'd recommend you try regular FA zooms instead of the DA 16-45.

Thanks Adam,
I appreciate those insights. My thought is to upgrade to the K10D and then build "the" set of lenses that will cover everything I want to do. (within reason).

Since the most photos end up being family gatherings and kid events, it seems like the 16-45 might end up being a good choice for all around shooter with a 50mm 1.7 or 50mm 1.4 for fast applications.

The other type of shooting i really enjoy is landscape/scenery so again the wide end of the 16 - 45 would be great and then my 50 - 220mm comes into play as well.

what do you think about that logic - anyone?

Ed