Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2014, 06:35 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
lenses and focus adjustment

I was reading about the FA*85 f1.4 at this site Stan's Pentax Photography and there is the opinion that the this particular lens was designed so that when the lens is focused the subject is at the back edge of the zone of focus so that the DOF extends to well in front of the subject focused on thus making background as blurred as possible.

With cameras now having in body focus adjustment is incorporating this design in a lens redundant. Does this mean that individuals could using in body AF adjustment adjust there lenses to have this effect. I would think that setting a lens up to slightly front focus would have the same effect. Am I correct?

09-03-2014, 07:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by everydaylife Quote
this particular lens was designed so that when the lens is focused the subject is at the back edge of the zone
Well, wait... what?

I would think that setting a lens up to slightly front focus would have the same effect. Am I correct?
If you set your lens to front focus, well, your subject won't be in focus... I doubt that a few microns adjustment will have any effect on perceived blur... But it will have an effect on subject sharpness...

Use your feet and move a bit closer to your subject or get your subject to distance itself (if possible) from the background... It's a much better and simpler way of increasing the blur...
09-03-2014, 09:38 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I was reading about the FA*85 f1.4 at this site Stan's Pentax Photography and there is the opinion that the this particular lens was designed...
"In close to mid distance shooting, the 85 f1.8 puts the subject in focus more towards the middle of depth of field than the f1.4 version, which appears to somehow put it more towards the back edge."

The guy (in 1999) did not say he thought it was designed that way, but that the lens did something particular. Hopefully he has A) come to his senses, B) gotten his lens fixed, or C) gotten a body with AF calibration in the last 15 years. If you manually focus (don't all portrait artists do that with a thin DOF, anyway) how is the lens going to change the focus point on you?