Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2014, 07:54 PM   #1
Pentaxian

K Mount lenses with Image Stabilization?

I know that pentax cameras have in body stabilization (great for my old lenses!) but it just doesn't cut the mustard when I want to do hand held video with my k-01. I know they have like mounts to wear or I could use a monopod but that usually isn't a very usable solution so I'm looking for a good lens with built in IS for a semi reasonable price. I've looked on google but I seemed to only pick up some telephoto zoom lenses which wouldn't be too useful for this purpose.

09-03-2014, 08:06 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4, the older pre-C version has IS. I think the new Contemporary version does too.
09-03-2014, 08:13 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4, the older pre-C version has IS. I think the new Contemporary version does too.
Excellent range on it, I'm gonna have to save up I guess!
09-03-2014, 09:24 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have ver 1 ( the original) F2.8-4.5 does not have OS, ver 2 HSM F2.8-4.0 did have OS and was sold for rather short time in Pentax mount , I have "C " the latest one and does not have OS, is much smaller and lighter than ver 2 , very close in size to ver 1

09-03-2014, 09:41 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
I have ver 1 ( the original) F2.8-4.5 does not have OS, ver 2 HSM F2.8-4.0 did have OS and was sold for rather short time in Pentax mount , I have "C " the latest one and does not have OS, is much smaller and lighter than ver 2 , very close in size to ver 1
So it might be a bit difficult to track down? Are there any other options?
09-03-2014, 09:57 PM   #6

for video, use a monopod (if there's no ground to set it on, clip a pouch to your belt and seat the foot in that), hang a counterweight off the camera body to smooth your motions, or consider a shoulder-mount rig. there isn't an in-camera or in-lens shake reduction system that won't result in garbage footage
09-03-2014, 10:01 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I think the new Contemporary version does too.
Nope...The Pentax and Sony versions lack in-lens OS.

Steve

09-03-2014, 10:11 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
I know that pentax cameras have in body stabilization (great for my old lenses!) but it just doesn't cut the mustard when I want to do hand held video with my k-01. I know they have like mounts to wear or I could use a monopod but that usually isn't a very usable solution so I'm looking for a good lens with built in IS for a semi reasonable price. I've looked on google but I seemed to only pick up some telephoto zoom lenses which wouldn't be too useful for this purpose.
For a short period of time, Sigma OS lenses for Pentax actually had the OS. Yes, they'll be hard to track down, but you should be able to find stabilized 17-50's and 70-200's.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-03-2014, 11:18 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Nope...The Pentax and Sony versions lack in-lens OS.

Steve
That sucks. OP - looks like you'll have to find the pre-Contemporary one specifically. It is the 2.8-4 HSM, not the 2.8-4.5.
09-04-2014, 12:14 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I had that Sigma 17-70 mm f/2.8 - 4. It had/has OS but frankly it only gave about another half stop over the in-camera stabilization in my K-5. Hardly worth the effort to hunt down a used one.
09-04-2014, 12:29 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by abmj Quote
I had that Sigma 17-70 mm f/2.8 - 4. It had/has OS but frankly it only gave about another half stop over the in-camera stabilization in my K-5. Hardly worth the effort to hunt down a used one.
He has a k-01 with digital stabilization in video mode, as opposed to sensor stabilization on the k-5. That's why he wants OS.