Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2014, 11:11 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Dewman's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Idaho
Photos: Albums
Posts: 4,539
I hate it when this happens!

I have a Tamron 28-200mm Macro-Zoom lens that I love and recently was high bidder on it's big brother, a Tamron 28-300mm Macro-Zoom. I've been pacing the floor in anticipation of it's arrival all week. It came today and I wasted no time in opening the package. I gave it a cosmetic once-over and it looked very nice. Then, I opened up the aperture and held it to the light. YIKES! It looks like there's a mushroom farm growing inside! I hoped that it was only a dirty rear element, so I gave it a cleaning.... but, no such luck!


I've written the seller, telling them of the problem and now... the waiting game. I called Eric Hendrickson to see if I could get a quote on fixing it, but only got his voicemail. I'm bummed! I thought I got a really good deal on it at $92.00, but it turns out that it wasn't such a good deal after all.


Dang.... I hate when this happens!


Dewman
SW Idaho

09-05-2014, 11:19 AM   #2
Pentaxian
Site Supporter
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 30,576
I feel your pain....
09-05-2014, 12:23 PM   #3
Senior Member
pezmaker's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Madison, WI
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 276
Been there, done that. It's happened to me enough times now that I've finally stopped ebaying lenses. I had a great streak for about 15 lenses, then the last 3 all had fungus, unstated in the auctions. The sellers were all good about refunding/accepting returns, but it's still a hassle overall and a major disappointment.
09-05-2014, 01:50 PM   #4
Veteran Member
abmj's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Central California
Posts: 600
Yup! I came to the conclusion some time ago that buying lenses on EB or CL is just not worth the hassle.

Hope the seller will do right by you.

09-05-2014, 02:22 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Perrineville, NJ
Posts: 1,366
Folks talk about how the K-mount is so great compared to other brands because it is so backwards compatible. I started with Pentax in 2011, and as a relatively new user, I can say that "benefit" has never, ever panned out for me. So I do not recommend Pentax to other new users for this reason (although I do recommend the brand for other reasons). I have had very little luck with old lenses, I don't even bother anymore.

It's fine if you have your own old collection of well-kept K-mount lenses already. And most new users would be better off with the kit lens and one new DA35, than screwing around with the moldy mushroom petri dishes sold on CL or EB.
09-05-2014, 02:40 PM   #6
Pentaxian
emalvick's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Davis, CA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,532
I've never bought a lens from EB or CL precisely because of the possibility for things like that. I think a lot of times flaws aren't even purposely with-held. I'm sure many sellers don't even think to look for things like fungus or dust.

However, I do love getting old Pentax lenses. I just rely on KEH to find what I want. I've had decent luck and have received some fantastic glass from them. It seems like every prime back in the pre-autofocus lineup was nearly a limited type quality lens. I know that isn't completely true, but I've loved every M lens I've gotten.
09-05-2014, 02:44 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Dewman's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Idaho
Photos: Albums
Posts: 4,539
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
Folks talk about how the K-mount is so great compared to other brands because it is so backwards compatible. I started with Pentax in 2011, and as a relatively new user, I can say that "benefit" has never, ever panned out for me. So I do not recommend Pentax to other new users for this reason (although I do recommend the brand for other reasons). I have had very little luck with old lenses, I don't even bother anymore.

It's fine if you have your own old collection of well-kept K-mount lenses already. And most new users would be better off with the kit lens and one new DA35, than screwing around with the moldy mushroom petri dishes sold on CL or EB.

Actually, I've been quite fortunate with CL and most eBay lenses. With CL, at least you have the advantage of looking at the lenses BEFORE flopping down the cash. I'd say the good lenses and good deals I've gotten far outweigh the "hassles" I've endured. All sellers, with the exception of one, have been very good about refunds/returns. I've actually had a couple of sellers tell me to just keep the lens and refunded the entire amount, shipping included! For instance, it's hard to beat a Sigma 28-300mm lens, NIB, for $25.00 and a SMC Pentax-K, f:5.6, 400mm in pristine condition, complete with original factory leather hard case, for $45.00. For deals like that, I'll put up with a few "hassles." My first SLR was a Spotmatic, bought new in Hong Kong in 1966 and I've never even considered another brand. Matter of fact, I still have the 50mm, f:1.4 M42 that came with it and it still performs as good as the day I bought it. The camera and brand have never failed me and I just wouldn't feel right with anything else in my hand. Kinda' like suddenly rooting for the Denver Broncos when I've been a Raiders fan since 1962!


Some guys are Chevy fans, other like Fords.


Dewman
SW Idaho
09-05-2014, 03:09 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
kiwi_jono's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,322
I feel your pain!
In NZ this is also a problem. Depends a bit where you buy the lens. If you buy from a more humid city like Auckland there seems to be a higher chance of fungus being present. But otherwise it has a lot to do with how the lens has been stored. A lens coming out of a shelf in garage is always a bad sign.
Amazes me how common it is. I usually ask the seller to shine a torch (at an angle) through a lens to check there is no fungus because you usually can't tell be just looking through it.

I might start a thread about how people are storing their lenses although I know there are few that touch on this.

09-05-2014, 03:38 PM   #9
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 975
QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
I have a Tamron 28-200mm Macro-Zoom lens that I love and recently was high bidder on it's big brother, a Tamron 28-300mm Macro-Zoom. I've been pacing the floor in anticipation of it's arrival all week. It came today and I wasted no time in opening the package. I gave it a cosmetic once-over and it looked very nice. Then, I opened up the aperture and held it to the light. YIKES! It looks like there's a mushroom farm growing inside! I hoped that it was only a dirty rear element, so I gave it a cleaning.... but, no such luck!


I've written the seller, telling them of the problem and now... the waiting game. I called Eric Hendrickson to see if I could get a quote on fixing it, but only got his voicemail. I'm bummed! I thought I got a really good deal on it at $92.00, but it turns out that it wasn't such a good deal after all.


Dang.... I hate when this happens!


Dewman
SW Idaho
I hear you.

My experiences have been mixed. I have bought lenses on CL with great luck. But this one time, when I was a Canon guy before switching to Pentax. I bought a 50mm f1.4 Canon lens in LA (I live in Vegas). I had my cousin pick it up for me. So three weeks later, when I picked it up from him, I learned that the autofocus did not work and I was stuck with it. Luckily I have never had issues with fungus in a lens. With the exception of a few new lenses, majority of my purchase have been used lenses.

Less than a week ago, I purchased a manual lens from a fellow PF member. The lens is in great shape but it does not focus on infinity. I am going to return it. He has offered a 14 day trial period. I should have asked if infinity focus worked properly. My bad, I have to eat up the cost of return and losing the shipping cost to me.

The other bad experience on PF was with a 360 flash with dials that did not work . I bought it and did not test it immediately. Some months later, I needed to use it and found out that the buttons and dial did not work. So I am stuck with that one too. I guess the moral of the story is to make sure you TEST IT IMMEDIATLEY after purchase to make sure it works... and that the SELLER ACCEPTS RETURNS just in case it does not work.
09-05-2014, 03:49 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Dewman's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Idaho
Photos: Albums
Posts: 4,539
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
I feel your pain!
In NZ this is also a problem. Depends a bit where you buy the lens. If you buy from a more humid city like Auckland there seems to be a higher chance of fungus being present. But otherwise it has a lot to do with how the lens has been stored. A lens coming out of a shelf in garage is always a bad sign.
Amazes me how common it is. I usually ask the seller to shine a torch (at an angle) through a lens to check there is no fungus because you usually can't tell be just looking through it.

I might start a thread about how people are storing their lenses although I know there are few that touch on this.

Yes.... the lens in question came from Brookings, Oregon..... on the Pacific coast. It came from an estate sale and in my mind's eye, I can visualize the lens being stored on a shelf, in a garage, in a damp climate, un-used for years as the owner grew older and all the while not a thing done to prevent dampness from taking it's toll. Such a shame, because actually, it's quite a nice lens.... it perfectly matches my other Tamrom macro-zoom.... it's the silver version, which is fairly hard to find. Win some, lose some... but if that's the worst thing that happens to me today, I'm happy.


But, the up-side.... if Eric can fix the fungus problem for $60.00 or so, then I'll still come out ahead as far as the "going market price" is concerned.


Dewman
SW Idaho
09-05-2014, 05:39 PM   #11
Veteran Member
VisualDarkness's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Uppsala, Sweden
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,441
One good part of living in Scandinavia is that fungus in lenses are pretty rare, buying from Germany seems relatively safe too. Lenses from the US/UK seems to be a gamble though an the first time I saw fungus in a lens was from a US seller followed by a UK one.
09-05-2014, 11:42 PM   #12
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Canberra, ACT
Posts: 147
QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
I have a Tamron 28-200mm Macro-Zoom lens that I love and recently was high bidder on it's big brother, a Tamron 28-300mm Macro-Zoom. I've been pacing the floor in anticipation of it's arrival all week. It came today and I wasted no time in opening the package. I gave it a cosmetic once-over and it looked very nice. Then, I opened up the aperture and held it to the light. YIKES! It looks like there's a mushroom farm growing inside! I hoped that it was only a dirty rear element, so I gave it a cleaning.... but, no such luck!


I've written the seller, telling them of the problem and now... the waiting game. I called Eric Hendrickson to see if I could get a quote on fixing it, but only got his voicemail. I'm bummed! I thought I got a really good deal on it at $92.00, but it turns out that it wasn't such a good deal after all.


Dang.... I hate when this happens!


Dewman
SW Idaho
If you bought it through eBay, you can lodge a paypal dispute and hopefully, they should rule in your favour if the seller isn't responsive
Good luck!
09-06-2014, 08:11 AM   #13
Pentaxian
mgvh's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: MD
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 907
I've had both good and bad deals w/ ebay. The lesson to be learrned, I think, is simply not to pay so much for an ebay lens! If, for example, 3 out of 4 lenses on ebay are clean and functional, then you really should only be paying at most 75% of what any lens is approximately 'worth.' Yes, that's vague, but it's like any business where you have to figure in loss and waste. If you pay 90% of value and think you're gettting a good deal, then you have to count on being lucky at getting a good specimen. If you pay 50% of worth, then you should generally come out ahead.
09-06-2014, 11:30 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
DeepThrob's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Taos, New Mexico
Posts: 178
I have never had a problem returning and getting a refund for ebay lenses. If you pay with paypal and the item is not as described return it. Even if the seller say they don't offer refunds, ebay will cover it for reasons as as simple as ' I changed my mind'. With CL you're on your own, you against the seller.... no thanks. I went thru 4 sigma 70-300's before I found the one I wanted.
09-06-2014, 11:36 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Dewman's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Idaho
Photos: Albums
Posts: 4,539
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeepThrob Quote
I have never had a problem returning and getting a refund for ebay lenses. If you pay with paypal and the item is not as described return it. Even if the seller say they don't offer refunds, ebay will cover it for reasons as as simple as ' I changed my mind'. With CL you're on your own, you against the seller.... no thanks. I went thru 4 sigma 70-300's before I found the one I wanted.
The seller has offered a full refund. So, the lens goes back.... and the search continues. Yep, using Pay Pal when making purchases on eBay is the ONLY way to go.
Like Deep Throb, I've never had a problem with refunds.... other than one guy that thought he was going to pin his ears back and be a real jerk, refusing to consider ANY sort of resolution to the problem. The lens arrived in two pieces, with NO mount on the end! Pay Pal and/or eBay refunded my money and the seller's feedback rating went down to 62%! What goes around, comes around!


Dewman
SW Idaho
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
k-mount, pentax lens, slr lens, tamron
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
You know when your having a great day then this happens? Alex Nostalgix Pentax K-3 6 03-11-2014 01:08 AM
Machinery This is what happens when a landscape photographer goes to NASCAR nomadkng Post Your Photos! 9 03-07-2014 01:40 AM
So what happens when the Millionth post happens? interested_observer General Talk 17 04-21-2010 11:57 AM
Don't you hate it when this happens. Damn Brit General Talk 6 06-17-2009 08:36 PM
Don't you just love it when this happens maxwell1295 General Talk 8 05-12-2008 06:41 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:41 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top