Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
09-05-2014, 01:08 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sharpest Pentax lens in your bag?

I know that there are many factors that make a lens outstanding - color rendition, bokeh, macro capability, all-around use, etc.

But today I want to talk about just ONE factor and that is SHARPNESS. Given today's very capable sensors, such as those in the K5IIs or the K-3, what lens will give the sharpest renditions that can match these hi-def sensors?

It's almost a given that a prime (non-zoom) lens will come out on top almost every time, probably because there are fewer lens elements, and the exact parameters can be controlled for the one focal length - no compromises needed over a zoom range.

For quite a while, I've gotten by with only one prime lens. That was the SMC-FA 50mm f1/4. For what I do (free-lance writing and photography in the firearms field), it was pretty good in photographing handguns close-up. Stopped down to f/8, and used with a lens hood on a tripod, it was pretty darn sharp. It also made a good portrait lens, being the equivalent of a 75mm full-frame. Sharpness didn't count as much there, but the focal length was almost ideal. Still, I considered it the sharpest lens I had - all the others were zooms (18-55, 18-135 and 18-250).

And then I won a SMC-DA 35mm f/2.8 Macro Limited in an on-line auction. Oh, boy, was this lens SHARP. It suited me perfectly for taking closeups of anything, and it worked wonderfully for photographing firearms. One example is illustrated below.

I decided I also wanted to try it out for portraiture. I used it to photograph a lady who was my neighbor when I was a kid. I shot the pic below in her living room, using a few lamps scattered around the room for natural light, no flash employed. I think it was marvelously sharp for that purpose as well.

So in MY kit, that 35mm Macro Ltd reigns supreme for sharpness.

What Pentax lens do YOU think, based on actual experience, gives the best results for just this one factor - sharpness?

John
PENTAX : PENTAX Photo Gallery artist page

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
09-05-2014, 01:14 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax F 50mm macro
It is a beast but oh so sharp. And I have the 35mm and 100mm macros as well.
09-05-2014, 01:22 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PALADIN85020 Quote
But today I want to talk about just ONE factor and that is SHARPNESS
This is actually anything anyone ever wants to talk about.
DFA 100mm macro for me.Though, I find DA 35mm f2.4 and DA 40mm XS plenty sharp. But as a rule, macro lenses have the clinical, razor sharpness
09-05-2014, 01:25 PM   #4
Veteran Member

The sharpest 'Pentax' lens in my bag is my red 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 DA-L
The sharpest lens in my bag is my Rokinon 85mm f/1.4

09-05-2014, 01:28 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I only have two lenses -- 18-55WR and A50/1.7. The latter is much sharper.
09-05-2014, 01:34 PM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I'm lucky enough to own several so I can't really join in here.
09-05-2014, 01:38 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I'm thinking my SMC-A 50/2.8 macro is sharpest, though the 40Ltd gives it a good run for the overall image. I haven't enough experience with the 85/2, guess that needs to be "today's lens"

09-05-2014, 01:44 PM   #8
Pentaxian

But today I want to talk about just ONE factor and that is SHARPNESS. Given today's very capable sensors, such as those in the K5IIs or the K-3, what lens will give the sharpest renditions that can match these hi-def sensors?
One factor to bear in mind:
Some lenses are sharper at close range, and some are sharper at infinity.

Most online testers work at 100 times the focal length,
which may be why they often make wide-angle landscape lenses look bad.
09-05-2014, 02:02 PM   #9
Pentaxian

My lenses are shown below in my signature. I'm going to have to go with the FA43 as my sharpest lens at F 5.6
09-05-2014, 02:08 PM   #10
Veteran Member

DA40
09-05-2014, 02:09 PM   #11
Closed Account

Photos: Albums
Tamron 90mm f/2.8 macro is the easiest to get sharp results with, but when I'm careful (or use a tripod/remote) my M 50mm f/1.7 is right there.
09-05-2014, 02:28 PM   #12
Veteran Member

In my experience, it's got to be the DFA100. DA40 and DA*55 are possibly about as sharp, definitely not sharper but definitely not much softer either. Those over the DA15, DA21, and FA31.
09-05-2014, 02:53 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

FA 100 f2.8 Macro. Mainly for its corner to corner sharpness at f5.6.
That said for centre sharpness my A 50 f1.4 and FA 35 f2 are very similar.
09-05-2014, 03:18 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I know that there are many factors that make a lens outstanding - color rendition, bokeh, macro capability, all-around use, etc.

It's almost a given that a prime (non-zoom) lens will come out on top almost every time, probably because there are fewer lens elements, and the exact parameters can be controlled for the one focal length - no compromises needed over a zoom range.

For quite a while, I've gotten by with only one prime lens. That was the SMC-FA 50mm f1/4. For what I do (free-lance writing and photography in the firearms field), it was pretty good in photographing handguns close-up. Stopped down to f/8, and used with a lens hood on a tripod, it was pretty darn sharp. It also made a good portrait lens, being the equivalent of a 75mm full-frame. Sharpness didn't count as much there, but the focal length was almost ideal. Still, I considered it the sharpest lens I had - all the others were zooms (18-55, 18-135 and 18-250).

And then I won a SMC-DA 35mm f/2.8 Macro Limited in an on-line auction. Oh, boy, was this lens SHARP. It suited me perfectly for taking closeups of anything, and it worked wonderfully for photographing firearms. One example is illustrated below.

I decided I also wanted to try it out for portraiture. I used it to photograph a lady who was my neighbor when I was a kid. I shot the pic below in her living room, using a few lamps scattered around the room for natural light, no flash employed. I think it was marvelously sharp for that purpose as well.

So in MY kit, that 35mm Macro Ltd reigns supreme for sharpness.

What Pentax lens do YOU think, based on actual experience, gives the best results for just this one factor - sharpness?

John
PENTAX : PENTAX Photo Gallery artist page
Great job. I like both pics. The revolver shot is just magical.

I have all of the FA Limited lenses (31, 43, 77) supposedly some of the "best" Pentax makes. Recently, I used them exclusively on my K3 for an assignment that needed a lot of wide open apertures to make sure the background was out of focus. I stopped them all down to f2.8 to sharpen them up a bit. The Limiteds came through with flying colors.

As far as the sharpest, I have to say it is my FA 50mm f2.8 Macro lens. The contrast and sharpness are way beyond my wildest expectations. From time-to-time I photograph my wife's crafts items for internet posting. The first time she saw the images shot with the macro, she said that they (the products) looked 3D. I guess that says a lot coming from an non expert viewer.

Just my two cents.
09-05-2014, 03:21 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Probably either my Limited 70, Limited 40, Limited 21mm or a zoom...my 12-24. All Pentax lenses.