Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2014, 12:15 AM   #1
Junior Member
john1963's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 25
Sigma 24-60mm f/2.8 EX DG IF

Hi everyone, my stepdaughter has asked me to be her unofficial photographer at her wedding next year ( she is only having an official videographer ), is the sigma a good choice of lens ( on sale for AU$249 ) or should I go wider. I have two K-30 bodies so I'm also thinking of getting an FA 77 ltd (AU$799) for portraits and run with the two bodies and lens set up so I don't have to swap lenses. These two lenses are at my budget.

Regards. John

09-06-2014, 01:05 AM   #2
Inactive Account




Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 4
I've shot a friends wedding almost exclusivly with this lens. Works perfect.
I like the shorter fl for a more personal feel.
Only for the portrets I used a 85 1.4
09-06-2014, 01:05 AM   #3
Pentaxian
Miguel's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Near Seattle
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,743
QuoteOriginally posted by john1963 Quote
or should I go wider
You will need to think through your shooting requirements. If the wedding is a small, intimate affair, then maybe you would be able to get by with 24mm on the wide end. You could fit maybe three bodies into the frame. Many weddings, however, have more than a dozen folks attending, and you'll want to grab group shots and table shots as they happen.
I'd recommend something from 16-17mm at the wide end. The Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 is a popular option; I've used it for event work frequently.

M
09-06-2014, 01:58 AM   #4
Pentaxian
bassek's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 695
I like my Sigma 24-60 a lot (used it on my aunts anniversary party recently with good success), but you just might need a wider lens occasionally. The pentax kit lens is not that bad at 18mm, if you have it then you could use it for those shots.
OTOH, you might consider a wide lens like the DA15 on the other body. The 60 end is long enough for portraits in general, but the bokeh might not be ideal...

Seb

09-06-2014, 06:47 AM   #5
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2008
Location: Maryland
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 421
If you already know where the wedding will take place take your camera and a lens or two along and take some photos to get a feel for what works there.I'm no pro by a long shot but being familiar with the environment you'll be shooting in seems like a no brainer.They have a rehershal for the wedding,go have one for the photographer.
09-06-2014, 03:48 PM   #6
Pentaxian




Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 532
Just out of curiosity, where is it on special for $249?
09-06-2014, 04:39 PM   #7
Junior Member
john1963's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 25
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by krazykat Quote
Just out of curiosity, where is it on special for $249?
Direct from CR Kennedy Australia.

---------- Post added 09-07-14 at 09:43 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bassek Quote
OTOH, you might consider a wide lens like the DA15 on the other body. The 60 end is long enough for portraits in general, but the bokeh might not be ideal...

Seb
I did think of the DA15 ( on my wish list ). I do have a DA 12-24 though.

---------- Post added 09-07-14 at 09:45 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bschriver11 Quote
If you already know where the wedding will take place take your camera and a lens or two along and take some photos to get a feel for what works there.I'm no pro by a long shot but being familiar with the environment you'll be shooting in seems like a no brainer.They have a rehershal for the wedding,go have one for the photographer.
Good idea, however venue is on a Greek island.

---------- Post added 09-07-14 at 09:49 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
You will need to think through your shooting requirements. If the wedding is a small, intimate affair, then maybe you would be able to get by with 24mm on the wide end. You could fit maybe three bodies into the frame. Many weddings, however, have more than a dozen folks attending, and you'll want to grab group shots and table shots as they happen.
I'd recommend something from 16-17mm at the wide end. The Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 is a popular option; I've used it for event work frequently.

M
It's only going to be a small affair, only 30-40 people

09-06-2014, 04:59 PM   #8
Pentaxian
Miguel's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Near Seattle
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,743
QuoteOriginally posted by john1963 Quote
It's only going to be a small affair, only 30-40 people
I'd still go for something wider and a zoom for future utility. 24-60mm is more like a focal range intended for use with 24x36mm-based sensor bodies.

M
09-06-2014, 05:33 PM   #9
Pentaxian
reeftool's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Upstate New York
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,122
I would mount the DA 12-24 on one body and the Sigma on the other and you will be well covered. I shot my daughters wedding this past Feb, and my Sigma 17-70C shot 90% of it. If you do buy the FA77, by all means bring it along.
09-07-2014, 01:44 AM   #10
Pentaxian
bassek's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 695
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I would mount the DA 12-24 on one body and the Sigma on the other and you will be well covered.

If you do buy the FA77, by all means bring it along.
+1

Seb
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
affair, bodies, da15, f/2.8 ex dg, k-mount, lens, lenses, pentax lens, post, shots, sigma, sigma 24-60mm f/2.8, slr lens, wedding
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 IF EX DG HSM MJL Sold Items 5 06-02-2014 07:15 PM
For Sale - Sold: Sigma 24-60mm f/2.8 EX DG (CONUS) XMACHINA Sold Items 4 07-17-2011 03:51 PM
For Sale - Sold: Sigma 24-60mm f/2.8 EX DG jk333 Sold Items 6 01-04-2011 03:27 PM
For Sale - Sold: Sigma 24-60mm f/2.8 DG EX K200D Sold Items 4 03-18-2009 12:36 AM
For Sale - Sold: Sigma 24-60mm f/2.8 EX DG AF (Pentax) akptc Sold Items 9 08-23-2008 04:27 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:22 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top