Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
09-06-2014, 07:23 AM   #1

lens for moon photography

Can anyone please give me some info as to what lens length I would need to buy for taking pictures of the moon. I have a lens that goes to 300mm but it doesn't get close and its not sharp.

09-06-2014, 08:12 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
300mm should be ok. Having lots of megapixels helps too, so you can crop afterwards to get "closer". I took this photo with a 16mp Sony a55 at only 200mm with a nice and sharp 80's Minolta lens: https://www.flickr.com/photos/adudenamedjosh/7007076640/in/photolist-bFc6Ld-bnNH9x so I'd say even 200mm can be enough.

As of now, I have a Pentax K30 with the same 16mp sensor, and I use a Pentax 80-200mm f4.7-5.6 from the 90's that only cost me around $30. This combo can also take sharp pictures when the lens' aperture is stopped down a little and cropped afterwards, such as this one: https://www.flickr.com/photos/adudenamedjosh/14888388706/

I'd suggest setting your lens around 280mm, stopping it down to f8 or f9, and put it on a tripod to eliminate any camera movement and see if your moon pictures sharpen up a bit. Just curious, but exactly what lens is it?
09-06-2014, 08:24 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When shooting the moon it's important to have a stable setup and to use a fast enough shutter speed. You also need to nail the focus.

Thus, it's best to have a lens with a tripod mount as well a sturdy tripod. I'd say anything other than a consumer superzoom is optically good enough for decent moon shots, so you definitely don't need to go spending a lot of money. Just practice a bit and make sure your tripod is stable and you'll end up getting good results

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-06-2014, 08:43 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good Morning - well at least here...

Shooting the Moon, I don't think is dependent on a single item - such as a lens. But, I can certainly understand what you are asking. 300mm is a pretty long lens (or a zoom out to 300mm), and should do the trick. As such, it is not going to fill the frame, so you are going to need to crop. All of that said, there are a whole host of other items to consider and address, that goes into getting a good shot.

The Moon is a bright spot usually in a dark sky (well at least at night). You camera has at least two main exposure approaches. One set averages the light over the entire frame (or a good part of it - such as center averaging). The problem here is that the Moon is a very bright spot and everything else is pretty black. So, these modes really do not help. There is also spot mode, which uses the point at the center of frame to meter off of. With the Moon being so bright, this is the mode that you want to use. [Note - after shooting the moon, reset the camera back to the mode it was previously in - or you will wind up with the camera acting different than before.]

With the Moon being so bright, you can use ISO 100 or 200. You can also stop down to f8, or so to get to the sweet spot in your lens. Also, you can go completely manual and use the "Sunny 16" rule - f16, what ever ISO speed, with the shutter speed the inverse of the ISO - which is f16, ISO 100 @ 1/100 sec; f16, ISO 200 @ 1/200 sec, etc.
Now, the Moon moves - pretty rapidly through the sky at night. Also, it is bright enough that you really don't need a tripod - you can shoot hand held, since your exposure is going to be pretty fast. But that does leave one aspect that you need to address - focusing.

You are going to have either autofocus or manual focus lens. If its autofocus then point it and get it (the moon in the center of the frame) so that the camera will meter on the light and lock focus on it, then shoot. With a manual focus, you will be trying to manual focus on a moving target while you are bobbing around (handheld camera) in the dark. What you might want to do is to go out while its still light and pre-focus on something that is far far, far away, and then don't touch the focus again (perhaps putting a piece of tape across the focus ring).

Then you need to shoot - if your hand holding, get in to a stable position, breath in, breath out while aiming, and when you finish exhaling, push the shutter.

You can get a doubler for your lens, a 300 lens with a doubler goes to 600mm. You get a larger moon, fills more of the frame, but its harder to hold and aim, plus as you are holding it, you are bobbing around more.

Also, it takes some practice.

If you are using a tripod, since the moon moves, you are always trying to readjust the aiming on the tripod to keep the moon in the frame. With using a tripod it helps to have a remote shutter release, so you don't need to touch the camera (shaking it) to take the picture. Or you can use the 2 second delay.

The bottom line is you want to accurately focus, and then have the shutter speed fast enough to prevent camera shake (and you can turn on SR), but with an ISO low enough to limit the sensor noise in the image.

09-06-2014, 09:39 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The moon by itself is disappointingly small at 300mm. Lenses above 300mm can be pretty expensive, and still not fill the frame. For that kind of shot, 800-1000mm is good.

Instead, try getting other elements in the frame. The moon is still not huge, but when the rest of the shot is not solid black, it's more interesting. This is at 400mm, about 10% cropped I think. I used a Tokina SD 400mm lens, manual focus, on a tripod. The focus is easy with this lens, because the infinity stop is perfect. I usually take a lot of shots at different exposures so I have choices when I process.

The challenge here is to find the elements to include and get them exposed close to the moon exposure. Moonset and sunrise calculators are available, even as apps.
09-06-2014, 10:10 AM   #6
Veteran Member

A lens for moon? Better a small, but good refractor telescope, like this

Sky-Watcher SWED 80 Refractor

At 600mm is longer, much cheaper than any equivalent photo lens, and sharper than most. The draw back is that's only manual focus.

Of course, there are other alternatives, telescopes or photo lenses, but I think that's this has a best price/quality rate, at a fairy small dimension.
09-06-2014, 06:43 PM   #7

Original Poster
Wow thanks everyone I will try to see what I can do with all of the wonderful information you have given me. Its raining and cloudy today so im hoping tonight will be clear to take some more photos. going to try and put one of my photos up for you all to see. My lens is......55 Sigma Zoom, 100-300mm 1:4.5 - 6.7 DL got no idea on what this means. yet.sorry if this is big still try to figure this out. This was f/6.7, 1/1000sec, ISO 200 and focal length was 300mm. and on a small tripod. thanks everyone.

Last edited by rosebud; 09-06-2014 at 06:46 PM. Reason: forgot to add a word
09-06-2014, 07:32 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Handheld @ 300mm then cropped to 3 MP (2120x1412 pixels)

09-06-2014, 08:25 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Taken at 200mm, can easily be cropped down. Though I feel like I missed the focus a little bit.

http://i.imgur.com/2vJHEvQ.jpg

09-06-2014, 08:38 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's situations like this where you can do some real learning, fairly quickly. You can set things up, go out and shoot some. Come back in and load the images on your PC to see how you did. Taking a look at them, you can see what you like and don't like. Sitting there looking at the images you can consider what you might want to change. I would suggest changing one item at a time, then go back out and shoot some more. Wash and rinse (repeat).

If you run out of things to try, go back and read some, or post a question with perhaps an image or two (with the EXIF data attached).

I have shot the moon quite a bit - learning, trying out a new idea (to me) - seeing what the result is. The key is not to get upset when things don't work out. Sometimes, it just takes thinking things through to figure out why you are not getting the desired result. A lot of it is just practice. The more I shoot the better I get, until I stop shooting for bit. Then I startup again, expecting to continue where I was - only to do something stupid.

09-06-2014, 09:26 PM   #11
Brooke Meyer

Early on, as everything was new, one of the first things I wanted to do was photograph the moon. I did it for years but haven't since I made this. Moon and Memory Maybe this winter.
09-06-2014, 11:10 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
all good advice. I've got a 300 plus 1.4x TC and as mentioned, that is not long enough if you want good results, but works fine to include terrestrial objects (foreground) in the shot.

Here is moon by itself on a black sky with a good bit of cropping, from the 300 w/TC

09-06-2014, 11:58 PM   #13
Veteran Member

If by "moon photography" you mean a basically terrestrial shot that happens to include the moon then, perhaps, 300mm.
If you mean a detailed shot of the moon only than 600mm as a minimum.

The moon at 1000mm.....

Last edited by wildman; 09-14-2014 at 03:20 AM.
09-07-2014, 01:54 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
If by "moon photography" you mean a basically terrestrial shot that happens to include the moon then, perhaps, 300mm.
If you mean a detailed shot of the moon only than 600mm as a minimum.

The moon at 1000mm.....
Who do I gotta kill for a 1000mm lens
09-07-2014, 05:42 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
Who do I gotta kill for a 1000mm lens
No one.

Sky-Watcher Pro 100 ED APO Refractor Telescope - OPT Telescopes

Well, is not a 1000mm, only 900, but for moon photos, is a real killer.