Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2008, 03:22 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Pentax smc F50mm f1.7

I have had this lense for sometime now and haven't used on my DSLR's (DS or K10D). I usually shot motorsport or landscape and use sigma EX lenses.

Well I went out over the weekend to use the 50mm and found it was brilliant indoors sharp as it was on my MZS, the issue is when outdoors it consistantly overs exposes in any f stop or speed on either dslr.

Does this lens need to be rechipped?

05-12-2008, 04:20 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I don't think so.
05-12-2008, 05:14 AM   #3

My M50mm f1.7 meters fine indoors or out on my K100D. Have you enabled the aperture ring in the Custom Setting menu? I have a feeling that if you don't do that it only works at maximum aperture, which might explain your over-exposing in bright light.
05-12-2008, 08:10 AM   #4

my F50 1.7 meters correctly on my k10d. perhaps you tested it under harsh lighting conditions?

05-12-2008, 01:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Russell,

Different lenses will behave differently on your camera. I find there is +-1 stop among various DA, F, M, and DA* lenses that I own. I just keep a mental note of which tend to over/under expose and I check the histograms often.

If you don't like that F50/1.7, I'll be happy to take it off your hands. I "only" own 3 of them at the moment and would happily take a 4th.
05-12-2008, 01:46 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by RussellW Quote
I have had this lense for sometime now and haven't used on my DSLR's (DS or K10D). I usually shot motorsport or landscape and use sigma EX lenses.

Well I went out over the weekend to use the 50mm and found it was brilliant indoors sharp as it was on my MZS, the issue is when outdoors it consistantly overs exposes in any f stop or speed on either dslr.

Does this lens need to be rechipped?
Are using the lens with the aperture set to A? If you aren't and your DSLR is the K10D then you are experiencing the stop down metering problem that is unique to that model. (and possibly the K20D, not sure about that)

If that's the problem, simply use the lens set to A and control the aperture electronically and it'll be fine.

Another possibility: does the lens stop down quickly and without hesitation? If the aperture blades were dirty or oily then the iris might be lagging and letting in too much light.

Matthew
05-15-2008, 12:28 AM   #7

Original Poster
Well I have tried the lens with A and with through the f stops, I also tried the A prohbited and not prohibited in custom field area in both cameras, still over expouses when out doors.

I want to keep the lens as it produces great shots in doors. So I'm off to a camera repair place in Sydney to see what they can find wrong either we me or the lens.

Will keep you posted, thanks to the replies.

Cheers
Russell
05-15-2008, 04:20 AM   #8

If you have the aperture ring enabled, then try setting the camera mode to M(anual) program, select your preferred aperture, then press the green button on the camera (I think its green, I use the K100D and its the depth of field button on them). This should give you a shutter speed that is pretty close to correct.
Hope you figure it out. These old lenses are magnificent.

05-15-2008, 04:24 AM   #9
Banned

QuoteQuote:
(and possibly the K20D, not sure about that)
its a problem with any pentax camera with a 'crippled' mount which includes all K series DSLR's
05-26-2008, 11:27 PM   #10

Original Poster
Well I picked up the lens from Camera service centre here in Sydney, They dismantled the lens which included the removing of the Aperture assembly then clean and adjusted.

Now it's like new.
I'm one happy chappie..

Cheers to those who answered.