Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2008, 08:37 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Kenko 1.5X DG SHQ Teleconverter vs Tamron 1.4TC

Hi

One of the guys is selling his Kenko 1.5X DG SHQ Teleconverter and he is kind enuf to reserve this for me (I guess maximum for 1 to 2 days).

I would like to know if this kenko 1.5TC is similar to the Tamron 1.4TC. From this forum, it seems that the Tamron 1.4TC is more superior and there are sayings that the Kenko produce soft images. Is this true?

I would like to use the kenko 1.5TC with my Tamron 28-75/f2.8 and FA50/f1.4. If at all possible, I am hoping to use it with my FA80-320, although I am not sure if I will lose AF on this lens. Please advise?

All in all, would you recommend this TC?

Thanks

05-12-2008, 11:07 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I am sure there are those in the group who will disagree with me, but I bought both, and tried them head to head. To my uncritical eye there was very little difference. In fact, I thought the Kenko was actually a tiny bit better, and wound up returning the Tamron for a refund.

CN
05-12-2008, 11:30 AM   #3
Veteran Member

In my experience both yield very good results as far as IQ (given TC degradation to start). In terms of operational use I find the Tamron sightly better (quicker) in focusing. This holds true no matter what the lens used. I have used both on the Tamron 18-250 and various primes including the DA* 200 and 300. I tend to use the T 1.4 more than the PTX f AF 1.7 mostly for lower weight and shorter OA length. Keep in mind these are subjective views of course.

Good Luck, whichever you pick........
05-12-2008, 12:01 PM   #4
Veteran Member

There is a lot of discussion in this thread comparing the two:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/19694-tamron-t...rter-pics.html

I have a Kenko and like it, not sure if it is exactly the same versino your looking at though. Anyway, take a look at that thread, there are lots of examples of both TC's in it.

John

05-12-2008, 05:32 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
This is the version of kenko TC that this person is selling: Kenko | 1.5x DG AF Tele-Converter for Pentax AF | K15AFDGPK

Are you using this version?

I have read the https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/19694-tamron-t...rter-pics.html thread. What I understand is that jgredline feels that the kenko TC will hurt the pentax's AF as the AF keeps hunting.

I just wish to obtain further confirmation if this is also felt by other members. Feedbacks would be most appreciated.
05-12-2008, 05:58 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Is that a set of SDM contacts in the middle of that TC?
05-12-2008, 06:56 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Not sure. I can check with the seller. How many contacts I am expecting on the TC?
05-12-2008, 07:10 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bikee4 Quote
Is that a set of SDM contacts in the middle of that TC?
They are more likely power zoom contacts - but Pentax just co-opted them to use for the SDM. Good move on Pentax's part. I think they will do the job.

05-14-2008, 07:34 AM   #9
Veteran Member

John Kovarik's view on this is your best bet as he is one of the few people who is in a position to compare the TCs directly. Clem has also been able to make a direct comparison. It would be interesting to hear what he has to say specifically in comparing AF with the two TCs. In my view the Kenkos produce good IQ. I have found that the autofocus hunts a little but if you take your finger off the shutter release and press half way again it seems to lock on. Some of the problem seems to do with amount of light/low contrast subjects. Having said all that I used the 1.5 TC with a 300*DA the other day to photograph some birds and rabbits and AF locked on straight away with no hunting. In each case there was a clear subject ie: no obscuring vegetation and I used spot focus.

Paul

Last edited by channeler; 05-14-2008 at 09:25 AM.
05-14-2008, 08:54 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks very much for your insights.

However, I have already turned down the offer since there are just too many things regarding the 1.5TC that I am uncomfortable with. I think I will aim for the Tamron 1.4 TC.
05-14-2008, 09:14 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Let me know where you find one if you do. I'm looking myself, thanks, Oren.
05-14-2008, 09:39 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by OrenMc Quote
Let me know where you find one if you do. I'm looking myself, thanks, Oren.

try this site for tamron 1.4x tc:

Tamron AF1.4X - Canon, Minolta, Nikon, Pentax: Berger Brothers
05-15-2008, 04:59 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
Thanks very much for your insights.

However, I have already turned down the offer since there are just too many things regarding the 1.5TC that I am uncomfortable with. I think I will aim for the Tamron 1.4 TC.
That is too bad since there really isn't anything wrong with the TC. As far as focusing issues go it really all depends on the lens your combining it with. A f/5.6 lens coupled with a 1.4x or 1.5x will hunt, how much depends on the lens IMO. I believe the Kenko will hunt more because it is letting in just a little bit less light.

If you use it with a constant f/2.8 or f/4.0 lens with either TC you really shouldn't have any hunting.

John
12-26-2008, 09:37 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Kenko 1.5x Pentax AF SHQ teleconverters are listed on eBay now at $35 delivered.

KEH is the seller. I've ordered one and there are a few left as I write this.

Dave