Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2008, 11:32 AM   #1
Forum Member

LBA fantasy now a reality, but, But

I went feet first and bought the Sigma 24-70 ex and proud of the monster, indeed i am. However imagine how whacked i was when i discovered it had a serious FF issue, 14mm to be exact according to the Sigma guy at the service centre here in Finland.

What worries me is he had a pile of high-tech gadgetry and all he did was take a few images with the lens and said that in three weeks to a month there will be a re-programmed chip in the post and he will install it same day. But how reliable is this likely to be? I mean i dont want to find the new chip has issues and wait another month.

Another thing i noticed was that whilst he had the gear mounted on a tripod he also had SR swiched on, isnt that going to have a negative affect on the images he has sent to Japan?

Anyone got experience in this area, something reasureing PLEASE.

Regards, Peter

05-12-2008, 11:45 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have always heard that if using a tripod, SR should ALWAYS be turned off ( unless there are hurricane force winds blowing ) haha
05-12-2008, 01:16 PM   #3
Forum Member

on the sr thing:

did you see, if he used the 2sec timer ? if so, the sr is deactivated by the camera automatically.

greetz
shadeless
05-12-2008, 01:42 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hi Shadeless

He was firing the shots off, no 2sec timer.

Peter

05-12-2008, 02:16 PM   #5
Forum Member

hi Peter,

i guess the only thing that could happen is, that the activated sr function introduces some kind of motion blur. and that would not be relevant to correcting the ff problem because the point of the picture which is in focus stays the same.

i think the repair guys just check the dof/focusing point in the images and adjust the chip accordingly.

greetz
shadeless
05-12-2008, 03:51 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Spooked, you're fortunate that Sigma can still re-chip the lens to focus correctly. The issue is not the camera but very likely the lens.

I have a bunch of Sigma lenses for Canon EOS mount that can't be re-chipped to focus correctly.