Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2014, 12:30 PM   #1

New Canon pancake.. Pentax possible?

A recent leak shows three new Canon lenses, but only one really caught my eye:

I must say, I love me some pancakes, and my 40mm 2.8 XS spends the most amount of time on my K30.

I'm to understand that Pentax and Canon use a similar lens formula for their 40mm pancakes... Anyone think a Pentax 24mm pancake is possible?

Honestly, it would be awesome for street photography. I've been considering going for the 28mm 2.8, but I love my pancake. I would buy a 28mm or 24mm 2.8 or faster pancake in a split second. WR would be a dream, but even without it.

09-11-2014, 12:34 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A 24 F2.8 XS would be great. That being said, this canon 24 f2.8 is coming in at 22.8mm thick, while the DA 21 F3.2 Ltd is 25mm thick, so... it's not like Pentax doesn't already have a similar pancake prime.
09-11-2014, 12:35 PM - 1 Like   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm sure they could make something in that ballpark, especially considering that in-body AF allows for smaller barrel designs. Isn't the 21mm already similar in size to this canon lens though?

In any case, what Pentax needs are big lenses. They have enough small ones already

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-11-2014, 12:36 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I love the little DA21mm ltd, it's magic - even good as pseudo-macro. It's not technically a pancake, I guess, but petite with or without the thin hood. Yeah, it's f3.2 so not super fast, but a pancake isn't going to be. My Sigma 28mm f1.8 macro is huge (77mm filter ring). But it's damn nice.

Can a pancake be fast enough to be considered "fast?"

Canon shooters will be happy, though. Is this a FF mount? If so, that's pretty wide!

09-11-2014, 01:40 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Nice! I hope Pentax steps up! The DA 21mm is already very small. Some old manual 28mm lenses are practically pancakes as well, I'm sure with modern technology they could be trimmed down further. I would really like the XS line restarted

Last edited by Na Horuk; 09-11-2014 at 01:50 PM.
09-11-2014, 02:54 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I'm sure they could make something in that ballpark, especially considering that in-body AF allows for smaller barrel designs. Isn't the 21mm already similar in size to this canon lens though?

In any case, what Pentax needs are big lenses. They have enough small ones already
I agree 10 times over.
09-11-2014, 04:29 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Canon shooters will be happy, though. Is this a FF mount? If so, that's pretty wide!
The EF-S designation indicates APS-C only (I remember reading that EF-S lenses will not even mount on Canon's FF cameras).

But if it's anything like their 40mm/2.8 pancake optically (which I still hold on to even after selling my Rebel, because I just liked the pictures from it that much -- too bad it's focus-by-wire), then yes, the Canonistas should be quite happy with this.

Also, this is only the second prime lens in their EF-S lineup (after the 60mm macro) -- a sign that they're taking APS-C more seriously?

09-11-2014, 04:29 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No, no - you're all wrong! What Pentax needs is more MEDIUM-sized lenses!

Sorry, just had to be a contrarian.
09-11-2014, 04:45 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Scintilla Quote

Also, this is only the second prime lens in their EF-S lineup (after the 60mm macro) -- a sign that they're taking APS-C more seriously?
Not really, more a sign that the SL1 sales need more boosting and this lens may help. Nice little camera, but sticking on the typically larger EOS lenses does it no favors. Maybe they will come out with a 70mm to make things right.

M
09-11-2014, 05:01 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
Not really, more a sign that the SL1 sales need more boosting and this lens may help. Nice little camera, but sticking on the typically larger EOS lenses does it no favors. Maybe they will come out with a 70mm to make things right.

M
That's not true, DA 40 is a lovely combo with bigger cameras, very comfortable to not have to hold a lens.
09-11-2014, 06:45 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote

Right on !
09-11-2014, 07:41 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
That's not true, DA 40 is a lovely combo with bigger cameras, very comfortable to not have to hold a lens
You've got me puzzled by your response.
Perhaps you've misunderstood my point or more likely I just wasn't very clear.
I agree with your comments about the DA 40; it also applies to the Canon 40mm pancake as well (which I use with my 5DMK3). But I was referring to the small Canon SL1 body that had only the Canon 40mm pancakes as the small lens offering. Since 40mm is a little unusual a prime focal length, especially in the cropped-sensor body world and especially with a non-Pentax brand, it may have not been all that effective as a complement for the SL1--which is intended as Canon's response to the small form-factor mirrorless offerings. But a 24mm pancake on a very small cropped body is pretty sweet and more persuasive for a purchase--at least to me. The current Canon kit lenses that typically come with the SL1 (my daughter owns one) are not small.

M
09-11-2014, 08:11 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Oh look now Canon is copying Pentax's green ring!
09-12-2014, 03:12 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
You've got me puzzled by your response.
Perhaps you've misunderstood my point or more likely I just wasn't very clear.
I agree with your comments about the DA 40; it also applies to the Canon 40mm pancake as well (which I use with my 5DMK3). But I was referring to the small Canon SL1 body that had only the Canon 40mm pancakes as the small lens offering. Since 40mm is a little unusual a prime focal length, especially in the cropped-sensor body world and especially with a non-Pentax brand, it may have not been all that effective as a complement for the SL1--which is intended as Canon's response to the small form-factor mirrorless offerings. But a 24mm pancake on a very small cropped body is pretty sweet and more persuasive for a purchase--at least to me. The current Canon kit lenses that typically come with the SL1 (my daughter owns one) are not small.

M
Ah, I read your response too quick I must have read it as sticking the 40mm on bigger bodies, somehow. My bad!
09-12-2014, 04:10 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think Canon has had green ring for fluorite lenes...? May misremember

That fast lens with green looks very much like a battlestar galactica or death tube or what !