Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2008, 11:41 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What does the repair center do?

I had focusing problems with DA 16-50 lens. I sent it in for warranty repair. They called and also requested i also send my K10D in so they can make the repairs.

My question is, "why do they need the camera body?" "What adjustment to the camera body do they do?" "If I switch camera bodies, do I need to get the camera re-calibrated to the lens?" "And if I switch to a K20D do all of these issues go away?"

Thanks. I tried to do a search for these questions but couldn't find them. If asked and answered before, point me to the thread.

jrf

05-12-2008, 11:45 AM   #2
Veteran Member

AFAIK, all the problems that K10D users experience with the 16-50 is due to a miscommunication of the K10D's software, and nothing to do with the actual lens.
05-12-2008, 05:08 PM   #3

Original Poster
That makes a lot of sense - as it seems that K20D don't seem to have the same problems with the DA 16 - 50 (for the most part) and from what I have read, the same lens can behave differently on different cameras.

So do they patch the software (if you know)? And does it alter anything else? I assume this isn't a big deal for them to repair then.

jrf
05-12-2008, 07:28 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jrforman Quote
That makes a lot of sense - as it seems that K20D don't seem to have the same problems with the DA 16 - 50 (for the most part) and from what I have read, the same lens can behave differently on different cameras.

So do they patch the software (if you know)? And does it alter anything else? I assume this isn't a big deal for them to repair then.

jrf
They have special software that allows them to adjust the focus for as many as four individual lenses and overall for the K10D. The K20 is one up - the user can adjust the focus for something like 20 lenses individually, and it is in the user accessible menus.

I'll wait for the K40D that does it all before upgrading. I skip generations.

05-12-2008, 07:58 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jrforman Quote

jrf
its not a big dead for them at ALL, just a software tweak.

thats why you hear so many people who keep on replacing their lenses and seemingly get "bad copies", they never take in their body and have it adjusted with the lens on.

i dont know enough details about this whole fiasco, but again with the exception of a few cases where the lens is physicaly damaged or poor QC, its all in the software side with the K10D and the 16-50
05-12-2008, 08:22 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
its not a big dead for them at ALL, just a software tweak.

thats why you hear so many people who keep on replacing their lenses and seemingly get "bad copies", they never take in their body and have it adjusted with the lens on.

i dont know enough details about this whole fiasco, but again with the exception of a few cases where the lens is physicaly damaged or poor QC, its all in the software side with the K10D and the 16-50
A lot of people also expect a zoom lens at f/2.8 at 16mm to be as sharp as a macro lens, and with as flat a field. It ain't gonna happen. Pentax thinks the 16-50 is best around f/5.6-8 (check it out with the program line set to MTF).

I know that I am not going to attempt to debug the focusing myself on any lens. My middle initial is K for Klutz.