Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2014, 10:47 PM   #1
Forum Member

Older Pentax DA 18-250 vs newer Sigma 18-250 Macro

I have been looking for an "all in one" lens for travel however my attempts to find a Sigma with the Pentax mount have been in vain. Even finding the others mount types is proving to be difficult.

I have just located a second hand DA 18-250 from a nearby camera store for $295.

Any comments? Do I take it or hold out?

FWIW, I am traveling across Canada, currently in Vancouver and will be heading off into the Rockies in the next couple of days. Two weeks of travel left.

09-12-2014, 12:27 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Like any super zoom lens, both of those 18-250mm's are associated with the expected compromise in terms of image quality. The Sigma has silent AF, but I know that based on the lens reviews, many folks like the older Pentax 18-250mm.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-12-2014, 02:43 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by maxwolfie Quote
I have been looking for an "all in one" lens for travel however my attempts to find a Sigma with the Pentax mount have been in vain. Even finding the others mount types is proving to be difficult.

I have just located a second hand DA 18-250 from a nearby camera store for $295.

FWIW, I am traveling across Canada, currently in Vancouver and will be heading off into the Rockies in the next couple of days. Two weeks of travel left.
I picked up a tameron 28-300 for family vacation in the mountains. Used it in k-50 almost perfect for travel all in ine lens. I got it used and was almost affordable . It might have slight vingeting but I'm new and it's still way better than the point and shoot cameras I have used on family vacations in the past
09-12-2014, 10:07 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

At that price it's a steal, if it's in decent condition. If you don't want it, I'll take it! I use that very lens as the travel lens on my K-30, and have been dreading the day it breaks. The trick is to use it at f8, at which point it is sharp across the frame, and there is very little distortion or chromatic aberration. From what I've read, it (along with its Tamron brother) is still considered the best of the super-zooms, and of course, in K-mount it is image stabilised.
allanmh

09-12-2014, 10:18 AM   #5
Pentaxian

The 18-250 has been my primary lens since I bought it to go with my K10D. It is not a prime, no, but it is a great all-around lens. I think it has acceptable sharpness throughout the entire range, although be aware that you only really get to true 250mm when focused at infinity, closer-up it is more like 180mm. (It can focus as close a foot at any zoom setting.) The main compromise you are making with this lens is speed (f/5.6-f/6.3 at the long end) more than sharpness (I think), as it can hunt a bit when the light wanes. (And the AF is screw-drive if that bugs you.)
09-12-2014, 04:10 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys

I am actually leaning towards the Pentax simply because I can then make use of the built-in CA/distortion correction functions on my K-x. Having to manually edit all my photos afterwards does not sound appealing at all.

Any other comments?
09-12-2014, 04:39 PM   #7
Pentaxian

The issue seems to be what lens(es) you have now for your trip. If you already have a bag full of primes covering the same range then it's not a big deal to not have a superzoom too. On the other hand, if your only lenses are an 8mm fisheye and a 500mm mirror lens, then you'd do well to not delay and purchase a superzoom, and should try to purchase the best available to you in time to use on your trip. Minor differences in performance pale in comparison to having large gaps in your focal length range.

I don't understand the comments regarding the various superzooms. As far as I know the consensus has always been that, at least until the recent sigma releases (18-200, 18-300), the sigma 18-250 was the superior superzoom.

09-12-2014, 05:30 PM   #8
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have the Tamron-badged version of the 18-250 (twin to the Pentax). Can't compare the Sigma, but the Tamron is an excellent travel lens, especially for outdoor use. I used it for 6 years as the only lens on my K100D Super and got some excellent results.

Photozone described the IQ as "fairly amazing" for a lens with this focal range. I agree with Allenmh that it is best stopped down a bit, but still quite good wide open. The centre sharpness is particularly good. I saw a comparison test someone did against two versions of the 18-55 kit lens and the Tamron 18-250 was much better at all focal lengths and apertures tested. My 55-300 is better at the long end, but not by some much that it is really obvious. At the wide end (say 55-80), I think I prefer the Tamron.

You won't regret buying the Pentax 18-250. $C295 from a retailer seems a reasonable price.
09-12-2014, 06:22 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Another happy Tamron-badged 18-250 owner here. I had wanted it since 2008 but always ending up choosing primes over it. Then it seemed meant to be when I happened upon it on Craigslist for only $175 back in May...
09-12-2014, 07:31 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
I am wondering how bad CA and distortion actually is on these types of lenses, and moreso, how easy it is to correct.

I then need to compare the process for the Sigma (PP/fiddling around for each photo) versus the Pentax. How well does the K-x deal with these issues - can I simply turn the corrections on and then forget about it completely? Or would more PP be required? I understand that the corrections only work with a Pentax lens.

If CA/distortion is very noticeable, PP is a pain, and the in-body correction handles everything for me, I'll probably get the Pentax. Otherwise the Sigma is probably the go.
09-12-2014, 07:47 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I never use in-body correction -- slows things down too much. You will see minor purple fringing at the long end wide-open and some distortion and minor vignetting at 18mm. (DA 18-250 or equivalent Tamron) In-between there is some very minor distortion but very rarely noticeable. Sometimes I correct the distortion (in Lightroom with provided profile), sometimes I don't, depends on the image (most of the time you can't even tell). Basically, CA/distortion is a total non-issue. What do you use for PP? With LR, if you want it will just apply the profile automatically and that's that. The Sigma is probably similar, I really wouldn't worry about it...
09-12-2014, 08:29 PM   #12
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
CA is not bad on the Tamron. At the wide end there is a fair bit of barrel distortion (I imagine there would be with the Sigma too), and a little pincushion at the long end, and occasional vignetting, but as vonBaloney says whether that matters depends on the image. If you shoot buildings, maybe, but trees and water not really. I used to just shoot in jpg and I was content with the results without PP. Nowadays I shoot RAW+jpg and software fixes any distortion, vignetting etc without fuss. But if you haven't got time to PP in your travels, and find the in-camera correction too slow, I'd agree with vonBaloney: don't worry about it.
09-12-2014, 08:53 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
don't worry about it.
ditto here too... The Tamron (thus DA) isn't bad for CA, in fact I don't know if I've even noticed any yet... I'm always shooting it stopped down a bit though... I have done some occasional distortion correction, like on this image shot at 18mm. It was more noticeable because of the angle, and still looks a little imperfect... I didn't spend much time on it either though...