Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2014, 02:57 AM   #1

This is just plain wrong

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Asahi Pentax Super Takumar 50mm 1 4 M42 UV Cured for Yellowing of Thoriumelement 894948000402 | eBay

This really upsets me to see this. Somebody is permanently damaging a lens to make it "better". It's not even something excusable like changing the mount to work with a modern DSLR. The sad thing is I know a bunch of hipster with EOS rebel cameras are going to love this. Does anybody else think this is wrong or am I just being a whiny prick?

09-13-2014, 03:12 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am not quite sure, what the problem is?

It is a known fact that vintage lenses with thorium glass lens elements may yellow over time. This is due to the slight radioactive decay of Thorium (NOT dangerous for the user). The radiation will induce chemical changes to the cement bonding duplet lens elements together, (at least that is my understanding that the changes to the cement is the main cause of this yellowing).

It is also an established procedure to cure this yellowing by exposing the lens to UV-light of certain wavelenghts. You will find a lot of posts about "curing takumars" in this forum

So, no "bettering", only "curing".

09-13-2014, 05:13 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I would be more concerned about the "proper coating for your chip" advice. I seriously doubt this round of "chicken-little-syndrome" was preceded by any actual scientific research.
Some people just don't have enough stuff to over-think.
09-13-2014, 07:05 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by xplus93 Quote
Asahi Pentax Super Takumar 50mm 1 4 M42 UV Cured for Yellowing of Thoriumelement 894948000402 | eBay

This really upsets me to see this. Somebody is permanently damaging a lens to make it "better". It's not even something excusable like changing the mount to work with a modern DSLR.
They aren't damaging anything -- they are just returning them to the condition they ought to be in (i.e. clear glass, not yellowed). (At least if they do it right and aren't actually cooking them in the hot sun for 45 days. And it isn't just about the color cast -- it does make them sharper. I use an LED desk lamp jammed right into the lens and it only takes a day or so. (In other words, you can buy a yellowed one and fix it right up yourself quite easily.)

I agree that whatever he is saying about the coatings and the chip is dubious, or at least no reason to stay away from a lens.

09-13-2014, 08:01 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Mmmmm .. it's a tray of delicious Takumars! White chocolate is my fav!
09-13-2014, 08:42 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
I agree that whatever he is saying about the coatings and the chip is dubious
I must remember to properly match my chips to my coatings.

Steve
09-13-2014, 10:08 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Clearing (or 'de-yellowing') the lens does not damage it, provided the lens does not get overheated. I have cleared my own SMC Takumar 50/1.4 with a UV lamp and I'm absolutely delighted with its optical qualities.

However, despite the seller's apparent 100% positive feedback record and self-claimed credentials, I would shy away from this sale. The listing has a couple of self-inconsistencies (e.g., is it an 8-element or 7-element design?), and his narrative is odd. I'm not sure what is meant by "DSLM" and the comment on matching a lens coating with a camera "chip" is bizarre. Furthermore, there are no close-up images of the actual lens that is for sale.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 09-13-2014 at 10:18 AM.
09-13-2014, 12:00 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Clearing (or 'de-yellowing') the lens does not damage it, provided the lens does not get overheated. I have cleared my own SMC Takumar 50/1.4 with a UV lamp and I'm absolutely delighted with its optical qualities.

However, despite the seller's apparent 100% positive feedback record and self-claimed credentials, I would shy away from this sale. The listing has a couple of self-inconsistencies (e.g., is it an 8-element or 7-element design?), and his narrative is odd. I'm not sure what is meant by "DSLM" and the comment on matching a lens coating with a camera "chip" is bizarre. Furthermore, there are no close-up images of the actual lens that is for sale.

- Craig

DSLM = Digital Single Lens Mirrorless.

Yeah, I'd shy away from this guy, too. Like you said, his narrative is odd.
09-13-2014, 12:04 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I think 'curing' a yellowed lens is a good idea. But I wouldn't buy from this guy. I have no way of knowing whether or not 25 days in the sunshine has melted the grease and fouled the aperture blades. And as mentioned above, he doesn't actually show you the lens. And, he can't differentiate between 'to' and 'too'.

The Tak 50 1.4 is a *great* lens--I'd encourage you to get one. . . .just not from this guy. They're pretty common and if you're patient can be had quite cheaply. If the one you buy has yellowed, by all means cure it. One benefit is that it'll get faster. That yellowing absorbs light.

Keep an eye out locally for people selling spotmatics as this lens is often included.