Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2008, 03:53 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax M 50/1.7...Something Seems to Shake Inside--Please Help

Hello all,

I have been on something of a hiatus from Pentax equipment, and am glad to be back as a user again...my beloved ZX-M should be here this week. I had a ZX-M, and should have never have sold it, but that is another story.

I bought an M 50/1.7, and received it today. The lens seems to look good, but when I hold it in my hand and shake it a bit, I hear a rattling sound. I have looked over the lens, and nothing seems to be loose (inside or outside). Has anyone ever noticed this with an M-series or other similar Pentax lens? Is this "normal" or okay? Please advise, as the seller has offered to accept a return. I bought the lens on eBay, and I would say that, overall, it seems to be in EX or EX+ condition (by KEH standards).

Thanks,
Glen

05-12-2008, 04:03 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mine has rattled when it is off-camera ever since I bought it new in 1982. On-camera, there is no rattle. At first it kind of bothered me, but it has performed well over the years with no problems.

Steve
05-12-2008, 05:31 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Is it an obvious rattle like a lump of metal flopping around? Do you have to shake it hard to notice or can you hear stuff rolling around when you gently turn the lens upside-down & back? Could it just be the aperture spring?
05-12-2008, 05:40 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It does not sound like something is rolling around in there. It does not sound particularly metallic, either. The aperture ring works fine and has good snap.

05-12-2008, 05:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member

might be the aperture lever? try holding it and shaking it.
my M does that a lil bit but nothing wrong with it
05-12-2008, 06:52 PM   #6

I have had a M 50/1.7 since 1982 that also rattles a little. I've never had a problem with it.
05-12-2008, 07:15 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zx-m Quote
Hello all,

I have been on something of a hiatus from Pentax equipment, and am glad to be back as a user again...my beloved ZX-M should be here this week. I had a ZX-M, and should have never have sold it, but that is another story.

I bought an M 50/1.7, and received it today. The lens seems to look good, but when I hold it in my hand and shake it a bit, I hear a rattling sound. I have looked over the lens, and nothing seems to be loose (inside or outside). Has anyone ever noticed this with an M-series or other similar Pentax lens? Is this "normal" or okay? Please advise, as the seller has offered to accept a return. I bought the lens on eBay, and I would say that, overall, it seems to be in EX or EX+ condition (by KEH standards).

Thanks,
Glen
The aperture stop down lever will rattle on most of the lenses before the A series, as the spring loses a tiny bit of tension over time. My 100 macro has the tiniest rattle, but it is still stopping down ok, so I'm not worried about it. My 400 doesn't rattle. Both my extenders (A 1.4X S and AF 1.7X) rattle.
05-12-2008, 07:38 PM   #8

My M50 1.7 rattles but otherwise works flawlessly, if I hold the aperture lever the rattle mostly goes away which as a previous poster suggested probably means the lever is a little lose. I wouldn't worry about it if the lens stops down fine.

05-12-2008, 07:51 PM   #9

Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 questions

Can a moderator remove this post, hit reply instead of new post... thanks.
05-14-2008, 11:34 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I thank all of those who have responded. Any other ideas out there? I must admit that, being the perfectionist I tend to be, the ratlling noise does irritate me. I should have my ZX-M today, and so I will be able to see if it rattles while attached to a body.

Before I forget: I put my finger on the aperture level, and the lens, when shaken a bit, still had the rattle.