Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
09-15-2014, 08:45 PM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
They're cheap because we live in a wretchedly debased age, in which the average photographer has become so used to having electronics make all the decisions for them that they find having to turn a focusing ring and press a single green button too complicated.
True enough, but even as someone who uses manual focus lenses a lot (mainly telephoto primes) I really wish I had autofocus in some situations.

Still had a laugh though

09-16-2014, 01:09 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
True enough, but even as someone who uses manual focus lenses a lot (mainly telephoto primes) I really wish I had autofocus in some situations.

I bet you know this already, but just in case anyone doesn't: you CAN get autofocus with an M Series (sort of).

Set your camera to AF-C so that the shutter will only fire when the camera detects focus. Now press and hold the shutter button and nothing will happen (if you're out of focus). Turn the focusing ring, and at the instant the camera detects focus the shutter will fire.

As a real-world example, let's say I'm taking a photo of one of the kids running towards me. I pre-focus on the spot on the ground where I want the shutter to fire, then re-compose with the centre spot aimed at the turd maggot in question. I hold the shutter button down and track the devilspawn as it approaches, and at the moment the kid hits the point I pre-focused on the shutter fires.

The fact that we can do this with 40 year old lenses is one of the great things about the Pentax system.
09-16-2014, 01:19 AM   #18
Pentaxian

I bet you know this already, but just in case anyone doesn't: you CAN get autofocus with an M Series (sort of).

Set your camera to AF-C so that the shutter will only fire when the camera detects focus. Now press and hold the shutter button and nothing will happen (if you're out of focus). Turn the focusing ring, and at the instant the camera detects focus the shutter will fire.
I've heard of this but don't know how to use it. I'm very new to Pentax and "interchangeable lens systems" in general. I've searched around when this was mentioned prior but couldn't find any info on it.

Last edited by ZombieArmy; 09-16-2014 at 02:44 AM.
09-16-2014, 02:08 AM   #19
Pentaxian

The technique is called "catch-in-focus", but if you search for it on-line you'll find all kinds of discussions about tinfoil and conductive paint and shorting out contacts on the mount. Ignore all that. As long as you're using a lens with a bare metal mount, like a K or M series, it'll work as I've described it. Although apparently the K-3 has added some extra complications.

Best thing is to just give it a try. You won't damage anything*.

(*LEGAL DISCLAIMER: Dartmoor Dave inc. is not responsible for any damage caused.)

09-16-2014, 02:15 AM   #20
Pentaxian

The technique is called "catch-in-focus", but if you search for it on-line you'll find all kinds of discussions about tinfoil and conductive paint and shorting out contacts on the mount. Ignore all that. As long as you're using a lens with a bare metal mount, like a K or M series, it'll work as I've described it. Although apparently the K-3 has added some extra complications.

Best thing is to just give it a try. You won't damage anything*.

(*LEGAL DISCLAIMER: Dartmoor Dave inc. is not responsible for any damage caused.)
Unfortunately it looks like the K-01 doesn't support this feature. Bummer, looks like another reason to get a full DSLR body in the future. (Maybe someone will sell a k-5 IIs for dirt cheap on Black Friday/Cyber Monday )

Really would like this for more fast moving subjects, as useful as focus peaking is.

Last edited by ZombieArmy; 09-16-2014 at 02:43 AM.
09-16-2014, 06:09 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Set your camera to AF-C so that the shutter will only fire when the camera detects focus.
You actually set it to AF-S.
09-16-2014, 06:40 AM   #22
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by kentishrev Quote
Why are M Lenses so cheap!
Also because there's a fair few out there, but please don't shout this stuff out too loud, it's our wee secret.

09-16-2014, 07:48 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Hush man!

Like the rest have said, don't let it out!
Up till today, whenever people ask me what are the gears used for a pic, i just say, "Oh, i use a camera and a lens.. Can't rmb what lens but the body's a Pentax.." And just leave it at that...
09-16-2014, 08:24 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
You actually set it to AF-S.
Oops! You're right, of course. Thanks for the correction. That'll teach me to post before I've properly woken up in the morning.
09-16-2014, 09:52 AM   #25

Original Poster
Finding these posts really interesting....and thank you for the AF-S tip! Promise I'll not shout too loud about these things.
09-16-2014, 09:54 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kentishrev Quote
Finding these posts really interesting....and thank you for the AF-S tip! Promise I'll not shout too loud about these things.
Just remember that you also have to set Catch-in-Focus to On in the custom menu.
09-16-2014, 10:35 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Don't rely on CIF if you want accurate focus. It's the same with the green hexagon (for the same reason). Too sloppy for wider-angle lenses, too inaccurate for teles. Having said that, I find it works pretty well on 50mm lenses.
09-18-2014, 06:44 AM   #28

According to the market theory, you have two+one effects:
* "Demand and supply": The M50 f1.7 was a base lens, hence the supply was (and is) high. Today, its the same for the 18-55. It comes as a bundle and if you want one on the second-hand market, it is easy to find and not expensive. On the other hand, there exist lenses with "advanced","special",... purposes like te 20, 85 mm which production number is lower, thus their price is expected to be higher.
* "Confort premium": If you use a "K" or "M" lens, you have to focus and use the green buton. This latter step is not necessary when using a "A" lens. The FA lens do not need the focus, so the price of a M is expected lower than an "A" which is lower than a "FA".
* "Information": The two previous points are true in a perfect market where all the participants are informed. I said the price is "expected" since in several trades the buyer does not know the value of the lens: You can find a very nice lens with a film camera and make bargains but the buyers sees it as an useless, old fashioned object...