Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2014, 09:02 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
What diameter you mean? I would say 72 and 77mm or 77 and 82mm. I am too lazy to measure and compare with the bayonet's size .
I tried to get the measurement of the front element using the length on the flange of the bayonet, got some unrealistic numbers which don't make sense. The length of the lens came out to be over 1'-5" which is highly unlikely. My conclusion is that the pictures are not to scale.

09-17-2014, 10:14 AM   #32
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
A guy from our German Pentaxians Forum went to have a look today and he says it is definitely a 2.8 putting the diameter at a very likely 77mm. I came up with a number close to that comparing the lens cap with the barrel at the front. Tell more - unless Pentax does - after I've been there in person on Friday.
09-17-2014, 11:41 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by angus Quote
A guy from our German Pentaxians Forum went to have a look today and he says it is definitely a 2.8 putting the diameter at a very likely 77mm. I came up with a number close to that comparing the lens cap with the barrel at the front. Tell more - unless Pentax does - after I've been there in person on Friday.
Thank you for keeping us posted. Perhaps I'm reading too much into this but, with the rumors of the new FF in the horizon Ricoh might be unveiling this (and maybe other refreshed d-Fa) before their unveil the full frame.
09-21-2014, 05:05 AM   #34
Forum Member

Well, they hinted at FF - not sure whether that was just to keep some of us happy. But for sure it will be a 2.8 and also pretty much for sure it won't have SDM of any flavour but DC. I saw it now for myself and would reckon that it is definitely a 77mm filter thread. I guess one could easily work it out from the picture below.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
09-21-2014, 05:42 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would guess the third switch on the long zoom might be a zoom lock to stop it extending under gravity while carrying it nose down.
09-21-2014, 06:03 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

and also pretty much for sure it won't have SDM of any flavour but DC
There's no indication it won't be (or will be) SDM, other than some rumors that it will be a new flavor of SDM. From the looks there will be a lot of glass to turn either way.
09-21-2014, 06:09 AM   #37
Forum Member

Well, one of the staff members went quite into detail that SDM as such might not be around much longer. Something to do with it not being a true ring-motor. He was pretty certain that the new lenses wouldn't have SDM. Anyway - the DC-drive in the 18-135 is pretty fast.

09-21-2014, 06:35 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, one of the staff members went quite into detail that SDM as such might not be around much longer. Something to do with it not being a true ring-motor. He was pretty certain that the new lenses wouldn't have SDM. Anyway - the DC-drive in the 18-135 is pretty fast.
Yeah - I got that and it's probably good news. There was a story earlier it had a new SDM. Since you got it from the horse's mouth then not.

I suppose the other guy could have meant in-lens focus motor, not screwdrive, when he wrote SDM.
09-21-2014, 06:45 AM   #39
Forum Member

When you consider that the by far most expensive Pentax APS-C lens - the 560 - currently is also sporting a DC-drive it would make sense to me. It is also reported to be silent enough and this is all I expect from an AF-motor, reliability, speed and little noise. (SDM has let me down on my 200* DA).
09-21-2014, 08:21 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The long zoom has three switches; the uppermost on the picture is the MF/AF switch. The 70-200 has 20 elements; this is an optical SR lens.

---------- Post added 09-21-14 at 05:27 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
In the future I think most new lenses will be premium lenses and all premium lenses will be EXPENSIVE.
They will be big too; optimized for digital. Both for now and for the future. These lenses have at least 10 years planned lifespan so they have to perform on tomorrows sensors.
Small size is for APS. Look at the new Sigma 50mm and the new 1.4kg! wide angle zoom for the 645 to see where we are heading.

Last edited by Pål Jensen; 09-21-2014 at 08:28 AM.
09-21-2014, 08:30 AM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Small size is for APS
Aha! Another line differentiator - keeps APS relevant!