Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-16-2014, 10:51 AM   #1

Can haze and dust be cleaned in a lens?

Hello friends. These days of high powered sensor and sharp optics are demanding the best glass. And any artifacts really degrade image quality. So imagine my surprise when I was examining my M 50mm lens, which is in perfect condition on the exterior, under the harsh LED light and discovered a layer of haze and dust in one of the elements inside.

This is not a few specks of dust but a layer of haze around one of the elements and layers of dust (see photos). I threw away an offbrand zoom days ago because I couldn't get a clear shot no matter what and it was because dust..

I want to build a supply of old lenses but if they all have dust like this I might change my mind. Yes I know I'm being very harsh, but I am all about image quality and these lenses can still wow people.

How does it compare with your lens? Can the lenses be cleaned? Who could do it? And How much will it cost?

Attached Images

09-16-2014, 11:03 AM   #2
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have a dozen+ older lenses (1964 and later) and if they have what you show I return them as unacceptable.

My experience w/ KEH was only an UG condition was as you show (and most of my purchases were BGN condition). Similarly w/ B&H used lenses--no problems. After a couple of experiences w/ ebay I find it wasn't worth the (high) risk.

And none of my lenses (that I purchased in the 1960's~1970's) show degradation of the type you show. Hope this helps.
09-16-2014, 11:18 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
And none of my lenses (that I purchased in the 1960's~1970's) show degradation of the type you show
I concur. I have sent eBay lenses back due to the kind of gross grunge yours has.

It can be disassembled and cleaned and you can do itself if you have appropriate tools and lubricants.

Steve
09-16-2014, 11:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Don't get too obsessed with normally expected dust pariticles which are being highlighted when a torch is shone through the lens. I guarantee you that with right angle and right approach I can show you in a brand new lens some dust. This dust will not be seen when you look through the lens - but very bright light will highlight and pick even tiniest, microscopic particles. If you don't believe - check this thread and see some test there https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/243355-06-zoom-dust-bubbles.html

Your lens does show some sort of haziness on the perimeter of internal elements. If lens was cheap and not worth the returning - I would either use it or try and disassemble :P - otherwise I would return lens with haze - well unless it was very cheap or it is something that still takes good photos - some haziness are actually harmless !! I remember having this problem behind front glass of one of my 300mm lenses. It was an old, pre-set lens with many aperture blades - don't remember the name. The haze was not clearly visible but it was there. I couldn't clean it with anything I tried - eventually I kept it as it was producing really good shots with my K10D. Later I replaced it with Meyer which obviously was superior. The old one went to a mate who was very happy with it for long time - until he eventually upgraded .. The point is - do not get too mental about the dust or small blemishes - if you got it cheap be happy - if you bought from dealer, advertised as pristine and clean and 'mint like' - return .

There is nothing more to it really...

09-16-2014, 11:44 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by manntax Quote
Don't get too obsessed with normally expected dust pariticles which are being highlighted when a torch is shone through the lens. I guarantee you that with right angle and right approach I can show you in a brand new lens some dust. This dust will not be seen when you look through the lens - but very bright light will highlight and pick even tiniest, microscopic particles. If you don't believe - check this thread and see some test there https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/243355-06-zoom-dust-bubbles.html

Your lens does show some sort of haziness on the perimeter of internal elements. If lens was cheap and not worth the returning - I would either use it or try and disassemble :P - otherwise I would return lens with haze - well unless it was very cheap or it is something that still takes good photos - some haziness are actually harmless !! I remember having this problem behind front glass of one of my 300mm lenses. It was an old, pre-set lens with many aperture blades - don't remember the name. The haze was not clearly visible but it was there. I couldn't clean it with anything I tried - eventually I kept it as it was producing really good shots with my K10D. Later I replaced it with Meyer which obviously was superior. The old one went to a mate who was very happy with it for long time - until he eventually upgraded .. The point is - do not get too mental about the dust or small blemishes - if you got it cheap be happy - if you bought from dealer, advertised as pristine and clean and 'mint like' - return .

There is nothing more to it really...
Thank you. The lens came on a k-1000 body that I paid 25 buck for. Steal of a deal! So since it was so cheap I guess I could spend a little extra to get it cleaned.

I've shot a lot with it and never really noticed. But it always seemed a little less crisp then my da 35mm 2.4 which is a good lens but far inferior as for as build.
09-16-2014, 12:03 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AbadPhotography Quote
Thank you. The lens came on a k-1000 body that I paid 25 buck for. Steal of a deal! So since it was so cheap I guess I could spend a little extra to get it cleaned. I've shot a lot with it and never really noticed. But it always seemed a little less crisp then my da 35mm 2.4 which is a good lens but far inferior as for as build.
That is a definite steal for sure - When I bought mine copy back in 2007 ( for then-new K10D ) - I paid for it £30 + P&P and only 2 or 3 years later I understood that it had a patch of fungus behind the front glass !!! I simple wasn't able to identify ot back then - so the seller got my glowing positive :P and I was happy shooting with it - until I knew what fungus is :/

Anyway this lens when in pristine condition should be *very* crisp and contrasty - so your haziness is for sure introducing lack of contrast , and perhaps a bit lower sharpness wide open - but other than that I guarantee you that you could still win not one contest with it !!