Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2014, 11:06 AM   #1

Weather Resistance of Good Non WR Lenses

I'm likely to be shooting in the rain this weekend with a K-5 and the 18-135 WR lens. No problem. Kind of looking forward to that part.

However, I may also be using a couple of old lenses:

FA* 80-200/2.8 ED IF, and
A* 300/2.8 ED IF

For the construction of these lenses and what they originally sold for, I'd hope they're not too delicate but I've never used either in wet weather. How careful of a little rain do I need to be with these lenses?

09-16-2014, 11:15 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Vintage manual focus lenses have fairly good resistance to water/dust incursion with primes doing somewhat better than zooms. This is due to how the lenses are constructed, primarily in regards to the focus helicoid. I have four k-mount lenses that I purchased new in 1982 which I have used in extensively in wet and dusty conditions with only reasonable care taken. All four are quite clean inside and none has had an episode of grossly visible internal moisture.*

Steve

* I have fogged the innards a few times, but that evaporated without residue.
09-16-2014, 11:15 AM   #3

Original Poster
Upon posting I was directed to this thread

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/75502-weather-re...tant-lens.html

with good general comments. I'll still welcome other thoughts.
09-16-2014, 11:21 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would suggest that you get a lens sleeve and a front filter to provide coverage for those two lenses. While they may be well built to tight specifications, it would be prudent to at least direct the majority of the water away from the lens.

09-16-2014, 01:29 PM   #5
kpl

Photos: Albums
A knife, a plastic bag, duct tape, probably a couple of those silica bags to make sure
Should help even with rather serious rain.
The only thing to keep in mind is to leave enough plastic bag around zoom and focus rings, so they can still be operated manually if necessary.

Cheers,
kpl