Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2008, 08:42 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Maybe this is why I'm liking the FA77 even more. And the Cosina 100mm macro even more than that.

But back to the original question. I'd take the 31mm (which I have never had the pleasure of using) over the 43mm based on focal length. I like the area around 28mm on the digital bodies... it's the perfect normal length.

However the 43mm was significantly cheaper.
Fa77 has a long reach that usually cuts off the top of the head or lower torso. Not as useful for a protrait occasion. For limited crop landscape, it can work wonders.

31 mm does give greek ladies more hooky noses in general and I would prefer a 43 mm instead.

05-14-2008, 09:35 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
My feelings towards 31mm is its limiting factor of f1.8. Its ability to render bokeh is compromised to an extent by inability to blurr the surrounding of the subject further.
I think you might be the only person who has said that the 31mm has a limited ability to render bokeh! And considering the alternatives, f/1.8 is just about the fastest lens available... only the 50mm f/1.4 would be faster but I'm not sure better.

Fa77 has a long reach that usually cuts off the top of the head or lower torso. Not as useful for a protrait occasion.
I bought the 77mm precisely for portraits. It's a great length since it lets you stand back a few metres and get that nice flattering perspective. Pro fashion photogs are wont to use even longer lenses (200mm on full frame, for example) for just this reason. I did my first portrait session on the weekend... I'll see if I can post some images from it later.

31 mm does give greek ladies more hooky noses in general and I would prefer a 43 mm instead.
On this matter I remain silent.
05-14-2008, 03:26 PM   #18
Veteran Member

I think you might be the only person who has said that the 31mm has a limited ability to render bokeh! And considering the alternatives, f/1.8 is just about the fastest lens available... only the 50mm f/1.4 would be faster but I'm not sure better.
All the 3 Fa limited are capable of producing bokeh Ca and imperfect circles against highlight (as many lenses do) - this has been discussed by jonas and carpent many times. I am not saying that 31 ltd is bad. It would be nice to have a wider aperture to differentiate itself from other primes. The brighter aperture really helps.

Again, criticising pentax lenses is a sensitive thing to do. All these comments are probably trivial since my mum tells no difference between the images taken by 31 ltd against her sony point and shoot purchased from 3 years ago. Wide aperture shot stressed her that the sensor might be not firmly attached to the camera.

I bought the 77mm precisely for portraits. It's a great length since it lets you stand back a few metres and get that nice flattering perspective. Pro fashion photogs are wont to use even longer lenses (200mm on full frame, for example) for just this reason. I did my first portrait session on the weekend... I'll see if I can post some images from it later.
Some photogs even love to use 300mm or 600mm to do protraits outdoor since it allows less distorsions of facial features and blurring out skin blemishes...

It is a great lens and my most used lens. However, for protrait, it is a little too long reach to lose some needed punch to the shot.