Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-19-2014, 12:33 AM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
yes, it does count. Let us hope they never try that again.
What he said. In regards to Takumar, there are some things that are best left as they are.

Asahi? That is a brand of beer, right?

Steve

09-19-2014, 04:13 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Whatever; it is obviously a brand name belonging to someone else (at least in some jurisdictions), so it will not appear in connection to Pentax again.
09-19-2014, 05:30 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
What he said. In regards to Takumar, there are some things that are best left as they are.

Steve
Yep, Asahi, loosely translated as "rising sun" is a popular name for many products in Japan <g>..
09-19-2014, 07:32 AM   #19

Asahi is also a surname. There were a family or two by that name in the neighborhood that I grew up in, that had a large Japanese-American community. Of course they may have been given that as surname taken from the name of the villages in Japan they were originally from. This was standard practice at Angel Island and Ellis Island immigration centers.

Asahi Optical? Do they make beer goggles?

09-19-2014, 07:59 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
Back in the day, there was Takumar and then Super Takumar and then SMC Takumar. What comes after that?
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
HD Takumar then SHD Takumar obviously
I thought we all agreed when 'HD' was announced that it should have been called 'SDMC' - Super-Duper-Multi-Coat!

---------- Post added 09-19-14 at 11:07 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
If I were Ricoh I'd bury Asahi and Takumar - and the brand name Pentax - altogether. IThey carry little if any positive marketing attributes any more. The Pentax brand has the marketing power of Kodak or Vivitar or Oldsmobile.

Frankly, all the name Pentax does in the West is stimulate angry exchanges on web Fora that show up at the top of Google searches. most of which happen on this Forum.
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
You beat me to it. Asahi and Takumar are dead names with miniscule marketing power. New photographers in the United States have never heard of "Pentax" while older photographers think the company is out of business.

Things are different in Japan.
Well, it's not unprecedented for Japanese companies to use different product names domestically and abroad. For sales outside Japan, I propose the name 'Canikony'.
09-21-2014, 02:26 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Sometimes I wonder if Ricoh will bring back the Asahi or Takumar names. I know Takumar made a brief come back as a budget lens but that doesn't count. Once everyone runs out of "super", "high definition" names what will be left? Asahi or Takumar could be the high end line up of glass.

Ok, I'm done dreaming!
I think it is a sign of weakness in the brand, if they try to recall a name that has not been really used commercially for more than 40 years.

If they are that desperate it is a sure sign we are all of one for

Let's think forward, and you don't get to where you need to go by looking backwards