Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
09-21-2014, 10:31 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Surnia Quote
No experience with the others, but why is the M50 the least desirable? Focus ring is superbly smooth and excellent damping, lens is super sharp after F2.0 (gets amazing around 4-5.6 like all other lenses). F1.4 gets a bit soft and the CA's a bit strong on really high contrast but its definitely not bad.

at F1.4:

ISO1600, F1.4:

and at F4.5:

The M is a great lens, but it is manual aperture and focus. Those are probably what was meant by least desirable.

09-22-2014, 07:36 PM   #47

Original Poster
While I was procrastinating, someone purchased the FA 50mm I saw at KEH the other day...E rating w/ caps. The remaining ones are more $$ and no caps. I am sure another few will come along for a lesser price in the near future.
09-28-2014, 01:15 PM   #48

Original Poster
I received my 43/1.9 and tried it out with my K-01, just a few flower and photo of one of my birds. I immediately noted focus issues and long AF searches, sometimes not even locking focus. Then put the lens on my K-7 and issues appear to be gone, at least for the flowers. Still need to take more photos to see what I think about lens but my K-01 is not well, IMO, and am sending in for service. Going to try the lens out on my many parrot "models" with both cameras and see what the results are.
09-28-2014, 01:45 PM   #49
Pentaxian

I like my Pentax 50mm F 1.4.

If I shoot it at F 1.4 the image will be soft. But I don't usually shoot at F 1.4.

I find F 2.2 to 2.8 not bad at all in sharpness...and...at these F stops...it's still pretty fast.

Remember that those mutually exclusive characteristics we chas after...bokeh and sharpness of subject....are a balance.

I don't think there are any lenses shot at F 1.2 and F 1.4 that give me the type of sharpness I want. So....I find the compromise I want in bokeh vs sharpness.

One thing to think about, is that the 50mm F 1.4 (mine anyways) has a lovely creamy bokeh about it, that I don't get in my other lenses.

09-28-2014, 01:55 PM   #50

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I like my Pentax 50mm F 1.4.

If I shoot it at F 1.4 the image will be soft. But I don't usually shoot at F 1.4.

I find F 2.2 to 2.8 not bad at all in sharpness...and...at these F stops...it's still pretty fast.

Remember that those mutually exclusive characteristics we chas after...bokeh and sharpness of subject....are a balance.

I don't think there are any lenses shot at F 1.2 and F 1.4 that give me the type of sharpness I want. So....I find the compromise I want in bokeh vs sharpness.

One thing to think about, is that the 50mm F 1.4 (mine anyways) has a lovely creamy bokeh about it, that I don't get in my other lenses.
Do you have a 50 M or A series? Or is this the FA? I was going to get an FA from KEH but someone else purchased it. Have a feeling that someone reading the posts here bought it after reading my posts on what was available there and the prices...won't do that again until after I buy something.
09-28-2014, 02:55 PM - 1 Like   #51
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by iamwhoiam Quote
I received my 43/1.9 and tried it out with my K-01, just a few flower and photo of one of my birds. I immediately noted focus issues and long AF searches, sometimes not even locking focus. Then put the lens on my K-7 and issues appear to be gone, at least for the flowers. Still need to take more photos to see what I think about lens but my K-01 is not well, IMO, and am sending in for service. Going to try the lens out on my many parrot "models" with both cameras and see what the results are.
My 43 behaves that way in LiveView on my K-3.Using PDAF it focuses nearly instantaneously. My K-01 at times won't achieve focus at all with some lenses such as the DA40 Limited. My workaround has been to find a high contrast edge and focus there.
09-28-2014, 03:30 PM   #52
Pentaxian

Do you have a 50 M or A series? Or is this the FA? I was going to get an FA from KEH but someone else purchased it. Have a feeling that someone reading the posts here bought it after reading my posts on what was available there and the prices...won't do that again until after I buy something.
I have the FA. Bought it back in 2008. I got it for a great price.....$ 249 CAD if I recall. Bought it new from a Canadian photo store. Took about a week for it to come in. They had to transfer it from another one of their stores, a couple of provinces away.

I've also got the 50mm FA Macro F 2.8. Also a very good lens. I rarely use this one at F 2.8 though, when doing macro pictures. With macro of course you want plenty of DOF....at least I do.

Now the Macro F 2.8 is slower then the 50 Normal F 1.4.

But if the F 2.8 is fast enough for you...you then have a 50mm lens you can use both for portrait/normal focal length pics....and...macro.

Maybe just get the 50 macro.....rather than the 50 normal F 1.4.

Might be something for you to consider.

Last edited by lesmore49; 09-28-2014 at 03:35 PM.
09-28-2014, 05:39 PM   #53

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
My 43 behaves that way in LiveView on my K-3.Using PDAF it focuses nearly instantaneously. My K-01 at times won't achieve focus at all with some lenses such as the DA40 Limited. My workaround has been to find a high contrast edge and focus there.
I took more photos of one of my parrots with the K-7 and 43 but he wouldn't stay still most of the time. However, the focus is definitely faster and more accurate than with the K-01. It's focusing on what I want it to focus on whereas sometimes it seems as if the K-01 is focusing randomly.

---------- Post added 09-28-14 at 05:40 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I have the FA. Bought it back in 2008. I got it for a great price.....$ 249 CAD if I recall. Bought it new from a Canadian photo store. Took about a week for it to come in. They had to transfer it from another one of their stores, a couple of provinces away.

Maybe just get the 50 macro.....rather than the 50 normal F 1.4.

Might be something for you to consider.
I have the 100 macro WR and it's an excellent lens, IMO. It's probably one of my favorite lenses.
09-28-2014, 07:20 PM   #54
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's focusing on what I want it to focus on whereas sometimes it seems as if the K-01 is focusing randomly.
You are probably already doing this, but if you aren't, you might notice an improvement with the CDAF on the K-01 if you select the focus
point... In any case, I haven't noticed a problem with accurate focusing of my FA 43 on the K-01 (speed is another issue, but even that is not
horrible).

I hope you figure it out, because as I mentioned before, I find the combination to be quite nice.
09-28-2014, 07:34 PM   #55
Pentaxian

I took more photos of one of my parrots with the K-7 and 43 but he wouldn't stay still most of the time. However, the focus is definitely faster and more accurate than with the K-01. It's focusing on what I want it to focus on whereas sometimes it seems as if the K-01 is focusing randomly.

---------- Post added 09-28-14 at 05:40 PM ----------

I have the 100 macro WR and it's an excellent lens, IMO. It's probably one of my favorite lenses.
A great lens. Also good for portraits.