Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
09-19-2014, 12:23 PM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by pinkrobot Quote
- $200-$600 range, give or take $100
- Vibrant color quality with minimal editing
- Sharp/HD-looking pics
- Photos will be taken for:
  • outdoor events (rallies and protests, canvassing, etc.) - a lot of movement
  • indoor events (formal dinners, press conferences, meetings, etc.) - some-to-minimal movement
  • close-up/portrait shots

I'll be forever grateful to anyone who can suggest a lens that'll be a good investment!

Ok, so now that I'm not on my phone, I'll expand on what I was saying, especially with regards to the slow 18-135.

Outdoor events: 18-135 WR. If the protest turns nasty, or it starts to rain, gets dusty, etc, you'll appreciate the weather sealing vs the 3rd party options. You're outside, presumably during the day(?) so very likely you won't need the extra 1-1.5 stops except at night, but the k-30 and k-50 definitely produces usable images to iso3200 and even 6400 in a pinch if you don't pixel peep too hard for night time or dark shots. The lens also has a GREAT working zoom range to allow a 1 lens option while walking through a crowd (do you really want to change lenses in the middle of a protest?). About as wide on the wide end as the others, and much much longer on the long end if you don't want to be so up close and personal.

Indoor events: 17-50 f2.8 from Sigma/Tamron. You'll need the speed indoors and won't need the weather sealing. I wouldn't go with the old FF traditional 24-70ish zoom because you'll probably want the wider range more indoors.

Close-up/Portaits: Assuming you mean close up people shots and not macro type images? Either zoom with work if you set it in the 50 to 80mm range. If you're looking for an excuse for a good prime or three, the DA50 1.8, FA 50 1.4, DA* 55 1.4, or DA70 are all great lenses for that purpose.

Bonus lens: DA40 XS or Limited. Basically weightless, superb IQ, and a great lightweight walk-around lens.Could be a portrait lens too.

To the folks recommending the DA50-135. Really? Recommending a $1200 lens when he asked for lenses under $600? Same with the 70-200 2.8... as nice as it is, I don't see where a long heavy sports telezoom fits for what he's looking for.

Minimal editing is up to you, not the lens/camera combination. If you nail the shot, the jpgs will be great. If you don't, it won't but for most the RAW file will be perfectly good starting point for a little work. If its lack of skill, learn. Photography, even documentary photography, is all in the selection, editing, and processing Photoshop CS2 is available for free download from Adobe now, and lightroom is only $100.

09-19-2014, 12:50 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would agree that 'in a pinch' the 18-135mm WR is a good candidate. Single lens, covers the range.
2 lens kit could be Pentax 18-55mm WR and 55-300mm WR

At the same point - indoors will not be the greatest, and you'll have to do some PP if you want some subject isolation (conferences).

It all comes down to what do you 'need' to get the shot.
Are you looking to take this picture:

https://globalconference2013.usc.edu/files/2013/05/Provost_GlobalConference.jpg

or

http://www.herodot.net/conferences/stockholm/conference2.JPG

This is probably a bad example, as this has issues other than lens (composition).

Last edited by formercanuck; 09-19-2014 at 01:02 PM.
09-19-2014, 01:50 PM   #18
Veteran Member

I forgot... if you have a few dollars..
Pentax A28 135MMF4 Lens | eBay
09-19-2014, 02:06 PM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by redcat Quote
As I said before, Sigma is a sure fire, Tamron is ok if you are lucky and get a good copy
Yeah, I'd agree with this mostly. The Tamron has a history of back focus or front focus weirdness, but it is almost random. I've been fortunate in that the copies I've had for both K-mount and EOS focused with no issues. When the Tamron is accurate, it is about the sharpest zoom in that focal range I know. Sigma's most recent version I've heard excellent things about as well.

For a portrait-type lens, I find the DA* 50-135mm to be very useful. I've taken lots of executive portraits with it between 70-90mm. Having that focal range provides you with a lot more flexibility in shooting environments that may have some physical constraints. You as a shooter want to prevent hassles for impatient busy business people. As one who has photographed one of the most recognized CEOs on the planet in 1:1 sessions I can attest to that.

M

09-30-2014, 12:59 PM   #20
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Man, you have all been so helpful. Last question (I hope), what do y'all think of the SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 and the SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.8 Macro?
09-30-2014, 01:40 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Here are some of the things I'm looking for:
- $200-$600 range, give or take $100
- Vibrant color quality with minimal editing
- Sharp/HD-looking pics
- Photos will be taken for:
  • outdoor events (rallies and protests, canvassing, etc.) - a lot of movement
  • indoor events (formal dinners, press conferences, meetings, etc.) - some-to-minimal movement
  • close-up/portrait shots

I'll be forever grateful to anyone who can suggest a lens that'll be a good investment!
Pentax DA 17-70 f4 SDM can be had new for around 500. I'd get it new to make sure you have the latest version of the SDM motor which should be reliable.
Vibrant color with minimal editing? Check.
Sharp/HD-looking pics? That'll depend on your technique, but it's capable of it except maybe at 70mm where it'll be a bit softer, but still good enough for portraits wide open.
Outdoor events with movement - it's got one of the fastest, shortest focus throws in the Pentax lineup, so I'd say check.
Indoor events - it's good at f4 and your camera's high ISO capability should make it work well. Still, I would probably add a DA 35 2.4 (around 150 dollars) or, if budget allows, a Sigma 30mm 1.4 ART (around 500 dollars) for indoor shots - you can't beat a fast, sharp prime indoors.

Here's Greg Nyquist's excellent review of it: Pentax DA 17-70 | Lens Reviews | The Northcoast Photographer
Here's some of Michal Sleczec's work with the DA 17-70: https://www.flickr.com/search?text=michal%20sleczek%2017-70&sort=relevance
09-30-2014, 01:56 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Man, you have all been so helpful. Last question (I hope), what do y'all think of the SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 and the SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.8 Macro?
Only have the 40 but it's a fantastic little lens. It's basically glued to my K-30 since I got it as it turns a relatively heavy camera in to a lightweight walkaround.

10-01-2014, 07:14 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The 40 would be a good choice - it's tiny and has good IQ. The pancakes focus more quickly than the DA35 macro. Less money is the DA35 f2.4. Not great reach, but in crowds etc I think it would be a good choice. People seem less intimidated by the smaller lenses, and they can take a lot less concentration. My DA21mm turns the K5 into something like a rangefinder, you can just point and shoot.

A serious consideration is the weatherproofing, depending on what you expect to encounter - and how likely you are to be in areas where you could get wet. Rain or other water sources at demonstrations would be a concern for me. The DA18-135 is a pretty good performer, given the price and WR features it should be one to consider. It's not cheap, but it's a good lens.

One other suggestion I think you need to consider is security - a shoulder strap is not secure. Neck straps aren't comfortable. A sling strap gives you both. Joby makes nice ones, but there are others.
10-01-2014, 09:32 AM   #24
Veteran Member

I'm late to this party:
for events such as those I would always (and have a number of times) choose the DA* 50-135 hands down, with a wider lens in-pocket (if I had just one cam body) for the occasional wide shots (the FA31mm is what I use now but the 35mm varieties, or even older 28mm work great for that). The 50-135 is the most versatile lens I own. It's only downside is size, but at an event this is not a problem for me whatsoever. Its rendering is 2nd to none. You can find them occasionally for just over the upper price limit you noted, and worth every penny.
10-01-2014, 12:31 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Pentax DA 17-70 f4 SDM can be had new for around 500. I'd get it new to make sure you have the latest version of the SDM motor which should be reliable. Vibrant color with minimal editing? Check. Sharp/HD-looking pics? That'll depend on your technique, but it's capable of it except maybe at 70mm where it'll be a bit softer, but still good enough for portraits wide open. Outdoor events with movement - it's got one of the fastest, shortest focus throws in the Pentax lineup, so I'd say check.
While the DA 17-70 is a sharp and contrasty lens (optically, I think it's under-rated) I would not recommend it as a lens for event shooting, largely on the grounds of the AF. Despite the short focus throw, it does not focus all that fast. Worse, the AF isn't all that reliable --- or at least it's not reliable enough for the demands of event shooting. If I had only $200 to $600 to spend on a lens for doing event work, I think I'd go for the Tamron 28-75 f2.8.