Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2014, 02:25 PM   #16
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
Let's say I'm after an excellent wide angle lens for landscape photography. In the focal length range of approximately 10-30 mm.
i've mounted nearly a dozen legacy 28mm primes on the sony a7r, the smc pentax-m 28mm f/3.5 is the best i've seen so far for stopped-down landscape shots.

you'll have to download a 21mb image comparison to see the differences:

SMC Pentax-M 28mm f/3.5 lens test

what's surprising is how clean the sides are on ff... the pentax k3 will have higher pixel density than the a7r, but i bet that the center of this glass can resolve it.

~f/10 appears to be the best compromise on the a7r.

09-24-2014, 08:10 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sigma 18-35 f1.8

Don't forget the new Sigma 18-35! It's a big beast but it is unbelievably sharp and beautifully crafted (except for the lens cap which keeps falling off - minor irritant) and the range is nice. I also have the 12-24. That has been my go-to landscape lens for the past year and it has been excellent from 14-24. I find it vignettes too much at 12mm for my taste, but I find 14 adequate at the wide end. Even my Nikon D800-toting friends have acclaimed it's IQ. I have no experience with the DA15 to compare.

The Sigma is quite a bit sharper than the 12-24, and at F1.8 vs. F4, there's not much comparison on low-light capability. BUT, one big PLUS for the 12-24 is that it handles bright spots really well. I don't know how to explain this in technical terms (if there even is a technical explanation and it's not just either my imagination of lack of skill), but it is quite easy to take a shot with the 12-24 of a scene with a lot of light as well as a lot of shadow and get decent shadow detail without blowing out the bright spots. I find this much harder with the Sigma, and the Sigma is not the only lens I've noticed this with. The 12-24 is very forgiving of bright sources and you can get them without blowing them out.

I have not yet tried to shoot the same scene at same exposure side by side to see the difference (the 12-24 went in for long overdue cleaning after I got the 18-35). But here is an example scene that the 12-24 handled well and two friends with Nikon FF and lenses had difficulty with (highlights too bright).
Yates Mill Pond waterfall