and possibly some form of comparison with the DA 15mm

09-26-2014, 04:37 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Conqueror Quote
Be interested to see some night shots / night sky shots with the 20-40mm

and possibly some form of comparison with the DA 15mm
In my casual experience with night shots,
the coma on the DA 20-40 doesn't seem as bad as on the DA 15.
09-27-2014, 08:27 AM - 1 Like   #18

Original Poster
Thank you all for your responses and links! I've ordered my copy a few days ago from Amzon.fr. It's only about 680,- Euro (silver version)... however, I've ordered the black one which is just slightly more expensive (710,- Euro).

I intend to use it as a replacement for my DA*16-50 especially when I'm traveling and depending on good, weather sealed lenses. Circumstances can be demanding from time to time. Here you'll find pictures from my last journey (Georgia, former Sowjet Union): Update: Georgien 2012 UND 2014 - einige Eindrücke. • Pentaxians

Hopefully the 20-40 Limited zoom lens won't be a bad choice.
09-27-2014, 08:54 AM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zeitlos Quote
Thank you all for your responses and links! I've ordered my copy a few days ago from Amzon.fr. It's only about 680,- Euro (silver version)... however, I've ordered the black one which is just slightly more expensive (710,- Euro).
Good luck with the purchase!

Make sure to check it out fully before the potential return time expires,
since it still seems that there are examples out there with QC issues.

Also, when testing at the wide end, make sure your focus is good
(e.g. using CDAF with Live View),
since the lens can sometimes miss focus with PDAF.
(Another option is to use the parfocal property,
PDAF at 40mm and then zooming out.)
I intend to use it as a replacement for my DA*16-50 especially when I'm traveling and depending on good, weather sealed lenses. Circumstances can be demanding from time
to time. Here you'll find pictures from my last journey (Georgia, former Sowjet Union): Update: Georgien 2012 UND 2014 - einige Eindrücke. • Pentaxians
A fascinating report!
It's a great reportage lens, especially on a body where the higher ISOs are usable.

One big advantage is that you can just leave the little hood in place,
and merely take off the lens cap when you need to make a grab shot.

09-27-2014, 01:31 PM   #20

Original Poster
Thank you very much for your response (and for looking at my travel report on Gerogia). I appreciate it.
I will try to keep all your tips in mind and check the lens as thoroughly as possible. Still I'm thinking about the Sigma 18-35. But it's probably way to big and heavy.
I also think that the 20-40mm Limited is a victim of our time where only numbers (Specs) seem to be of importance. We are all "bokeh-hunters" so we are eager for fast lenses, 1.0 at best. But after looking at great work from past photographers I came to the conclusion that it's not only maximum aperture speed that counts...

So I'm still looking forward to shooting with it for the very first time .
09-30-2014, 01:01 AM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

I intend to use it as a replacement for my DA*16-50 especially when I'm traveling and depending on good, weather sealed lenses. Circumstances can be demanding from time to time. Here you'll find pictures from my last journey (Georgia, former Sowjet Union): Update: Georgien 2012 UND 2014 - einige Eindrücke. • Pentaxians

I hope that with your purchase you will show us such "Tolle" pictures as in your travel reportage... very long and impressive insight in Georgian daily live... I am puzzled with your PP technique as it slightly unique and reminds me of 35mm film era. Today I was just going fast through but for sure I will go again through and read everything...
10-04-2014, 01:54 AM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RAART Quote
I hope that with your purchase you will show us such "Tolle" pictures as in your travel reportage... very long and impressive insight in Georgian daily live... I am puzzled with your PP technique as it slightly unique and reminds me of 35mm film era. Today I was just going fast through but for sure I will go again through and read everything...
Thank you very much for your kind reply! I'm glad that you like my travel report! I've just updated it by adding a few more pictures. There's still some more to come.
I really appreciate your comment. Thanks for traveling with me!

P.S. Yes, I hope my Pentax 20-40mm will make a good companion on further journeys, also to Georiga

10-04-2014, 03:14 AM   #23

Original Poster
What I can say after some test shots from yesterday. My copy seems to deliver good results at 20 and 30 mm. Sometimes it's even a little bit sharper than my Tamron 28-75 even though it's negligible.
What I've found out is that it's not really 100% sharp at 40mm. Even stopped down to f 5.6 or 8.0 doesn't mean that images are 100% sharp. There a noticeable difference to the 28-75 and in Liveview also to my Pentax 16-50mm.
The question is: is the 20-40mm Limited weak at 40mm, even when stopping it down? If not, does it mean I've got a "bad" copy or can service improve its sharpness at this focal length?

Thank you very much for your support!
10-04-2014, 03:53 AM - 1 Like   #24
ogl
Banned

The question is: is the 20-40mm Limited weak at 40mm, even when stopping it down? If not, does it mean I've got a "bad" copy or can service improve its sharpness at this focal length?

Thank you very much for your support!
No. My copy of 20-40 was much sharper at 40 mm than at 20-30 mm.
But my lens needs different AF adjustment at different focal length.
It could be made only in service if the lens has no decentering or any problems with lens elements layout inside body of lens.

Last edited by ogl; 10-04-2014 at 09:07 AM.
10-04-2014, 09:09 AM   #25
ogl
Banned

I hope that 20-40 is very good lens, but how to choose the best one? I couldn't and changed it to FA31.