Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2008, 04:11 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I got my 55-300! :)

So far, it's a pretty impressive lens. I think any errors in the results are more operator error, although I did notice that some of the pics I took in the shade at 300 were a little dark, so it looks as if this one is better used in well-lit conditions.

Here are some of the first pics...I'm sure they'll get better as I get used to the lens.

This is one of the darker ones...

Once I get it out in a "real world" setting, I'm sure I'll get some better ones.

Heather

05-13-2008, 05:21 PM   #2
AML

Congrats on receiving your new lens.

Thanks for posting these, i've been waiting to see more pics. Did you notice any PF in high contrasty conditions? This is an important factor for me with shooting in Sydney.
I know you are going on hols, but if it's possible and if you have a TC, i'd love too see some shots with this combination please.
05-13-2008, 05:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I really didn't shoot anything that was real high contrast, so I can't say from my own experience, but some other people have posted these types of pics and you can hardly notice it unless you blow your pic way up and even then, you really have to look for it.

Unfortunately, I don't have a TC, so I can't help you out with that, but I'd be surprised if somebody else with the 55-300 doesn't have a TC sitting around. I wouldn't mind seeing a 55-300/TC combination shot or two, either.

Heather
05-13-2008, 05:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I've probably taken less than 50 shots with this lense, but this picture probably shows the worst PF i've come across, (and I think it was made worse by my upping of the contrast...) This has also been cropped quite a bit.

05-13-2008, 05:56 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The bokeh looks quite nice for a consumer grade lens like this.
05-13-2008, 06:09 PM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
I really didn't shoot anything that was real high contrast, so I can't say from my own experience, but some other people have posted these types of pics and you can hardly notice it unless you blow your pic way up and even then, you really have to look for it.

Unfortunately, I don't have a TC, so I can't help you out with that, but I'd be surprised if somebody else with the 55-300 doesn't have a TC sitting around. I wouldn't mind seeing a 55-300/TC combination shot or two, either.

Heather
heather,

hi. congrats on your lens. can you tell me how long it took for Adorama to deliver your lens since placing your order?

thanks and have fun in tennessee.

jordan
05-13-2008, 06:32 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Nice shots Heather - Hope you enjoy the new glass as much I have been.

DEVS

05-13-2008, 06:41 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by opiedog Quote
heather,

hi. congrats on your lens. can you tell me how long it took for Adorama to deliver your lens since placing your order?

thanks and have fun in tennessee.

jordan

I preordered it, but was notified last Thursday (5/8) that it would be shipped and I got it today. For an extra $1.95, I upgraded the free shipping to the next level up, so I would be assured that I would get it before I leave on Saturday.

HTH,
Heather
05-13-2008, 06:51 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by devs66 Quote
Nice shots Heather - Hope you enjoy the new glass as much I have been.

DEVS
Thanks! I'm sure I will. Out of the telezooms, other than the F70-210, this has been the best one so far. In addition to the nice color, I also noticed the nice bokeh, as well.

Since I will be at my parents' while I'm in Tennessee and have access to their computers and DSL connection, I'll try and post some of the pics that I get while I'm there. In their backyard, they've got lots of birdfeeders that attract lots of birds like nuthatchers and goldfinches, so this lens will come in handy for that.

I had the DA35 macro I bought last week shipped to my parents' as well. According to UPS, it should arrive at their house on Thursday, so it'll be waiting for me when I get there on Saturday.

If all goes well and the buyer of the Vivitar 105 gets the lens before the end of the week, I'll go ahead and see about ordering the Tammy 90 macro and possibly having it delivered to my parents' house, too (I'll be there until the 25th).

Ahh...3 new lenses in a month. This time, I'm buying them with the idea of keeping them.

Heather

Heather
05-13-2008, 07:08 PM   #10
Veteran Member

anyone wanna trade a 50-200 for this..? :-X

god, i REALLY want this lens, now. lol
05-13-2008, 08:28 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Congrats Heather - I think it is a keeper as well - great lens nice price . Very nice shots BTW
05-13-2008, 09:32 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Nice shots indeed.

Oh the unfulfilled LBA agony...

All the best for the holidays, remember the more you post 55-300 shots, the more you torment us recent Sig/Tam 50-300 buyers.

Have some mercy please...
05-13-2008, 11:05 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Heather, thanks for posting these images. Now I am quite tempted by the capability of this zoom, not all that different from Da* 300mm at the long end.

Da* 60-250 is not that far off from being introduced into the market. It is so tempting that I should just grab a copy of 55-300 to play around

p.s The horse shot is a stellar capture by bwield.
05-13-2008, 11:15 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Heather, thanks for posting these images. Now I am quite tempted by the capability of this zoom, not all that different from Da* 300mm at the long end.

Da* 60-250 is not that far off from being introduced into the market. It is so tempting that I should just grab a copy of 55-300 to play around

I agree. For me it is a toss up between this and the DA* 200. And if I get this, I can get a wide angle lens with the money I save. I think I'll wait a few more days before I make up my mind (I need the lens before my trip to Alaska in june).
05-13-2008, 11:31 PM   #15
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote

Would you by any chance know anything about when that lens is going to be released? My local camera guy has no idea, and the Canadian reps have no idea either. (Not their faults, they haven't recieved any info).

I will be going to Africa this summer, and that lens fits the bill perfectly, aslong as it comes out before I leave.

ranamar

PS> Nice shots w/ the 55-300.. I may consider that now if the DA* doesn't get released.