Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2014, 09:33 AM   #16
Pentaxian

First generation Pentax SMC manual focus lenses are called "K" lenses. they don't say K on them, just Pentax SMC and then the focal length and max aperture. K 24/2.8 is a Pentax SMC 24mm 2.8 lens.

Next generation were called "M" lenses and they say Pentax-M SMC 28mm 2.8 (for example)

3rd gen were "A" lenses.

09-24-2014, 09:37 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by troika Quote
First generation Pentax SMC manual focus lenses are called "K" lenses. they don't say K on them, just Pentax SMC and then the focal length and max aperture. K 24/2.8 is a Pentax SMC 24mm 2.8 lens.

Next generation were called "M" lenses and they say Pentax-M SMC 28mm 2.8 (for example)

3rd gen were "A" lenses.
Yes thanks. A quick trip to the lens database and I should have known. BTW I really prefer the 'A' types cause i seem to have better control with exposure in-camera and can use flash more reliably
09-24-2014, 10:09 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Yeah, that is an advantage. Usually they are a bit more expensive and sometimes, but not always they have a reputation of somewhat lower build quality. I have an A Zoom that I think is as good of build quality as any lens I own, so it depends on the lens.

SMC (K) lenses have a reputation to be the best build quality of the MF lenses and I've had 4 of them that were all extraordinary.

I've also had a couple of M series lenses and I think the build quality is nearly as good, but the prices tend to be quite a bit lower than either the K or A series lenses. So, that's why I suggested an M 28 2.8. Abundant, good build quality, good image quality, usually way cheaper than say a K 24 or 30 or anything in 20mm. If you're willing to pay a bit more for the A lens and MAYBE some slightly lower build quality, then by all means. It is a nice benefit to enable modes other than M.
09-24-2014, 12:22 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pewter Quote
Pardon me but M28 is short for?
Pentax 'M' series lens. Pentax has 'K' (which is not really K but just SMC), then M,A, F, FA, & DA. Plus a few others. So if someone says an M50 f/2 it means a 50mm f/2 lens from the Pentax 'M' series.

QuoteOriginally posted by Pewter Quote
Pardon me but K24, K30 is short for?
'K' is shorthand for the original Pentax K-mount lenses. They were not called that by Pentax and will show "SMC Pentax" on the lens. However they are commonly referred to as 'K' series to distinguish them from the later lens series's. So K24/2.8 is a 24mm f/2.8 lens from the original k-mount series.

Oops, need to remember to refresh the screen before posting