Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2008, 06:16 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Wide Angle lens

I am looking at a couple different wide angle lens and wanted to get a few comments on the Pentax 12-24 and the Sigma 12-24. Costs are close. The last one I am considering is the Sigma 10-20. [landscapes] Thank you JIMBO

05-13-2008, 06:47 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Ok, took a little look through and this has been covered a few times. Was just looking at comparing a couple of these lens and picked this up. Comments? Are these two lens the same in a sheep clothing? JIMBO

It seems for some reason 3rd party mounts are becoming difficult to find with Pentax.

Now I love pentax lenses and when I have the cash, I always buy a pentax OEM lens. But this isn't always an option especially when buying the best glass for a given price point.

Now it seems Tokina and Pentax make the exact same lenses. Only pentax charges double.

For instance the Tokina 12-24 f/4 which is considered as good or better then Nikons version (and 50% less expensive) or the other brands. Unfortunately this is the identicle lens to the Pentax 12-24 f/4 which is why the reviews were damn near identicle.

Now, and not that I care about this lens, I see the Pentax 10-17 fisheye is also being rebranded in a tokina label.

What gets me fuming is why not allow me to choose between the Tokina and Pentax label (such as I can with Samsung/Pentax). About 40% of my lenses are Tokina (pre pentax) and I always loved each one after doing lots of research. Now it seems since tokina and pentax have "partnered" I have to pay 2x the cost just to keep shooting pentax mount cameras. Tamron doesn't make fast glass, and Sigma lenses are generally hit or miss in build quality. Tokina was IMO the one solid 3rd party company in all aspects.

Right now I'm really disappointed with Pentax, I was really happy pentax was making a commitment to not only survive but maybe make a splash with both the pancakes, limiteds, and the K10D but as always shooting pentax is a premium cost to the photog. The even made a really solid looking flash with an external battery. Definitely a step up to the plate.

really, I wouldn't be too upset because I typically by used glass anyway and there are plenty of great used lenses on the market, but the lenses I really need with the 1.5x crop are the true wide angle digitals and I'm not willing to shell out $800 for a $400 lens just because it says pentax.

yeah, i know I'm ranting but Pentax owners have always paid a premium and this just seems a bit absurd to me. Anyone else miffed that this partnership doesn't really seem to do a whole lot for us? it almost seems to me the reasoning behind it was to eliminate 1/3 of the 3rd party competion. Whats next, a partnership with Sigma? Why not Tamron too?

my parting thought is: isn't it fitting that Nikon owners mount that Tokina 12- 24 f/4 (which is a pentax lens) on there cameras but we can't.
05-13-2008, 07:09 PM   #3
Veteran Member

The only one of those lenses that I've actually used is the Sigma 10-20, borrowed from another Pentaxian. It's quite sharp and the colors are good. I was pleased enough with it that I think my own copy of it will be going into my camera bag at some point down the road. Another attractive thing about it is the price, which is the least expensive among the ultrawides. Adorama has it for $499, including shipping:
201109 Sigma 10mm - 20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC Autofocus Zoom Lens for Pentax Digital SLR Cameras.
Amazon has it for $479, including shipping:
Amazon.com: Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM Lens for Pentax and Samsung SLR Cameras: Electronics

When I'm choosing lenses, I generally don't worry about whose name is on it. I'm more concerned about whether or not it would work for me in my kit. If the price is right and it'll work for me, I'll buy Pentax, if not, then I'll look at Sigma or Tamron. One place that Pentax does have the others beat is in the category of small primes. Other than the Tamron 90 that I want to get, any other primes that I will be getting will be Pentax. Sure, Sigma has some nice ones, but they're just plain too big! If I want to carry something the same size as some of Sigma's primes, then I'd just assume carry my zooms and have more flexibility. I just want to have a nice, lightweight set of primes that I can easily carry around when I don't feel like dealing with the weight and bulk of zooms.

Anyhow, that's my thoughts about it...
Heather
05-13-2008, 07:15 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Jimbo

I own the sigma 10-20 because I was looking for the widest I could find, for the ASP-C format. I am pleased with it and i use it annually for about 20% of all my shots, and 12% of all my shots or 60% of shots taken with that lens are at 10mm.

Having said that however, in hind sight, the Sigma 12-24 might have been better lens although more expensive, I have seen reviews that rate it higher than the 10-20.

The other reason I should perhaps have looked at it is that it is a full frame lens, and would therefore also work on ny PZ-1. As it is, with the exception of the 10-20 every other lens I own is a full frame lens and I have a pentax 18-35 if I use film, and the 10-20 only vignettes starting at about 14-13mm so I can still shoot really wide if I need to.

I did not really consider the pentax 12-24 due to cost and availability at the time I was ready to buy, but my brother in law has the tokina version (co development on optics but mechanical packaging different) and is quite pleased, as it was less than the nikon ultra wide.

05-13-2008, 10:45 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Word on the street is that Pentax lenses are more expensive because they use SMC coatings, as opposed to Tokina's own proprietary, inferior coatings.
05-13-2008, 11:11 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Forget about sigma 12-24mm. I used to own it and it is good lens but not good enough comparing to petnax 12-24 or sigma 10-20. It is something to do personal preference about its overall IQ not as pleasant as I would have liked. Again, even a pin hole camera can get decent photographs. It might not be a concern for you.

It is a toss between pentax 12-24 and sigma 10-20. I do not own pentax 12-24 but played it around in shops on a few occasions. It is just as sharp as it can be and it has a good build. Sigma 10-20 is wider with a cheaper price tag. If I was going to choose a lens based on performance to cost ratio, sigma would be a great choice. Look at flickr account for all the sigma 10-20 images. They are just magnificent!
05-14-2008, 12:06 AM   #7
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I own Sigma 10-20. It's a great lens, but...
As Lowell wrote, it's not FF, so when FF sensor camera in K mount will finaly come, this lens will be rendered unusable on it! I'm not sure about DA12-24 and it's Tokina counterpart, but I don't think they're FF capable either.
If you don't think about FF then I think you'll be happy with 10-20. It's a great lens. Not too big and heavy. It's fantasticaly wide and distortions and aberations are kept uder control very well. Only two things which are being criitsised are extreme corner distortions, and extreme corner sharpnes when focused at closest distance...
In reall life though, it's one great lens....
I would be really happy to recommend it
05-14-2008, 02:34 AM   #8

You could also choose to wait for the Tamron 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5

Tamron developing 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5: Digital Photography Review

Also, Pentax might eventually release a DA* version of the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8

Tokina AT-X 116 Pro DX: Digital Photography Review

05-14-2008, 06:12 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
Now it seems Tokina and Pentax make the exact same lenses. Only pentax charges double.

For instance the Tokina 12-24 f/4 which is considered as good or better then Nikons version (and 50% less expensive) or the other brands...Now it seems since tokina and pentax have "partnered" I have to pay 2x the cost just to keep shooting pentax mount cameras...the lenses I really need with the 1.5x crop are the true wide angle digitals and I'm not willing to shell out $800 for a $400 lens just because it says pentax.
You are right about much of this, even if you are exaggerating. At B&H, Pentax $719, Tokina $499. That's not double, it's a 44% premium.

my parting thought is: isn't it fitting that Nikon owners mount that Tokina 12- 24 f/4 (which is a pentax lens) on there cameras but we can't.
Do we know this? Or is it a really a Tokina lens that we should feel lucky to have at all? I am largely in agreement though. At least the price difference with the DA* glass can be partially explained away with SDM & weather sealing--but the difference with the 12-24 is pretty slight.
05-14-2008, 06:15 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
Word on the street is that Pentax lenses are more expensive because they use SMC coatings, as opposed to Tokina's own proprietary, inferior coatings.
I expect that this can only account for a small portion of the price difference.
05-14-2008, 06:29 AM   #11
Veteran Member

To the original poster, I recommend Pentax 12-24 or Sigma 10-20 (I own the Pentax). The Sigma 12-24 is bigger & heavier and doesn't take ordinary filters. Even if we someday do get a FF Pentax, how badly will you want 12mm? Will this lens offer the performance for the sensors of the day? There will probably be better alternatives.
05-14-2008, 09:04 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Great review guys. Locally the Pentax 12-24 goes for $750.00 and the Sigma 10-20 is $599.00. The Sigma 12-24 is the highest price at 799.00 and is heavier. With already owning three Tamron's [happy with the 28-75 and 90 Macro and ok with the 18-250] I wanted to try another brand. Based on a number of reviews and what is being said here, its time to give Pentax a try. I want to thank everyone for their help. [July purchase 50-500 Sigma / been waiting for the a price drop locally which just happened] Cheers JIMBO
05-14-2008, 02:25 PM   #13

Great review guys. Locally the Pentax 12-24 goes for $750.00 and the Sigma 10-20 is $599.00. The Sigma 12-24 is the highest price at 799.00 and is heavier. With already owning three Tamron's [happy with the 28-75 and 90 Macro and ok with the 18-250] I wanted to try another brand. Based on a number of reviews and what is being said here, its time to give Pentax a try. I want to thank everyone for their help. [July purchase 50-500 Sigma / been waiting for the a price drop locally which just happened] Cheers JIMBO
You could save $100 and buy from Prodigital 2000...
PENTAX DA 12-24mm f4 ED AL (IF) DIGITAL LENS K10D K100D - (eBay.ca item 140232352506 end time 18-May-08 21:42:47 EDT)
05-16-2008, 11:58 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the heads up. If anything I could use this price againsty my local shop. Also checking with a couple of other store but this is a great price. JIM