Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2007, 11:24 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Is Da 70mm f2.4 faster in AF speed comparing to Fa 77 Ltd?

I have been trying to decide whether I should have collected the Da ltd lenses. Using Fa 77 ltd is fun but it hunts a bit too much in the dark. In broad day light, Fa 77 ltd is not focusing fast enough for me.

I wonder Da 70 ltd is faster in AF speed at all. Given it is so light, it might be worth while for me to get it: so many on ebays right now for bidding.

Any comments?

p.s. I read numerous old posts on the net but little comment on the AF speed. Not sure if there was little difference between the two.

Sean (carpent), do you notice any difference?

Sincerely

James

01-30-2007, 04:08 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Let's hope Godfrey see this and answers. Have you asked this question over at DPR? He's active there and has both lenses, otherwise I haven't noticed many who owns both. Good luck...
01-30-2007, 05:14 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I had checked all the past threads of DPR regarding Fa77 vs Da70

It seems FA 77 is far more popular than Da 70

I will ask the same question in DPR. Thanks
01-30-2007, 07:57 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
I had checked all the past threads of DPR regarding Fa77 vs Da70

It seems FA 77 is far more popular than Da 70

I will ask the same question in DPR. Thanks

Roentarre,

If it is not a bother, please link or post the responses over here. I'm interested in seeing what Godfrey thinks is better and I've lost my interest in DP Review since I picked up my K100D (this site is much more friendly).

01-31-2007, 02:02 AM   #5
Inactive Account

DA70 vs. FA77 in low light

I have a FA77 and am considering selling it to get a DA70 only because the DA70 is smaller and more portable. I haven't listed it anywhere yet because I'm waiting for a DA21 I just ordered to arrive. Then I can compare it to my DA40's size and finalize my decision. (The DA21 and DA70 are very close in size.)
If your concern is low light, the FA77 is faster and I would assume the FA77 will let you get some shots that you would not be able to get with the DA70. My concern is that the speed of the DA70 will not be good enough for low light... I read Godfrey sold his FA77 and kept his DA70.
If anyone is looking for a FA77, send me a message.
01-31-2007, 04:18 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Yes it is. I can't say that from long experience but from trying it once it certainly focuses faster. Not strange btw; I know of no Pentax lens focusing slower than the FA77. Then there is the added conveniance coming from the QuickShift function. In my opinion the Pentax QuickShift isn't as smoothly incorporated in the lens as Canon's FTM function but the result in the end is the same: you touch the focusing ring and do the manual adjustment without having to turn any knob.

Others have reported slower AF than the FA35, some say as snappy as FA35, I can't say for shure, maybe inbetween FA35 and FA77 but closer to FA35, from my short time trying it.

More about the DA70 and the FA77 in these old threads by RichardDya and *isteve (DPR):
Complete Lens Test Series including Wide: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
and
DA 70 Limited pancake - 2nd follow up: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
(also see the first post in that thread for links to pictures)

regards,
01-31-2007, 04:33 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have been trying to decide whether I should have collected the Da ltd lenses. Using Fa 77 ltd is fun but it hunts a bit too much in the dark. In broad day light, Fa 77 ltd is not focusing fast enough for me.

I wonder Da 70 ltd is faster in AF speed at all. Given it is so light, it might be worth while for me to get it: so many on ebays right now for bidding.

Any comments?

p.s. I read numerous old posts on the net but little comment on the AF speed. Not sure if there was little difference between the two.

Sean (carpent), do you notice any difference?

Sincerely

James
As I only own the 70 can't say. But it is very fast and extremely sharp...I really love it, especially for portraits.

01-31-2007, 06:16 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks all, it is good enough for me :)

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr. The Guy Quote
I have a FA77 and am considering selling it to get a DA70 only because the DA70 is smaller and more portable. I haven't listed it anywhere yet because I'm waiting for a DA21 I just ordered to arrive. Then I can compare it to my DA40's size and finalize my decision. (The DA21 and DA70 are very close in size.)
If your concern is low light, the FA77 is faster and I would assume the FA77 will let you get some shots that you would not be able to get with the DA70. My concern is that the speed of the DA70 will not be good enough for low light... I read Godfrey sold his FA77 and kept his DA70.
If anyone is looking for a FA77, send me a message.
That certainly helps. If nothing is slower than Fa77 ltd focusing speed, Da 70 would certainly be faster for sure. I tried out Fa135 f2.8 a while back and its AF speed is incredible but its purple fringeing rendering to images is just too much to bear...

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonas B Quote
Yes it is. I can't say that from long experience but from trying it once it certainly focuses faster. Not strange btw; I know of no Pentax lens focusing slower than the FA77. Then there is the added conveniance coming from the QuickShift function. In my opinion the Pentax QuickShift isn't as smoothly incorporated in the lens as Canon's FTM function but the result in the end is the same: you touch the focusing ring and do the manual adjustment without having to turn any knob.

Others have reported slower AF than the FA35, some say as snappy as FA35, I can't say for shure, maybe inbetween FA35 and FA77 but closer to FA35, from my short time trying it.

More about the DA70 and the FA77 in these old threads by RichardDya and *isteve (DPR):
Complete Lens Test Series including Wide: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
and
DA 70 Limited pancake - 2nd follow up: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
(also see the first post in that thread for links to pictures)

regards,
Thanks, Jonas. That is exactly what I am after. I saw these threads around that period but could never find these posts anymore. That really helps.

In fact, the minimal distance being 0.7 m is quite impractical. It makes night club shooting or indoor dim light photography quite difficult because of this minimum focusing distance.

I am now determined to get this Da70 lens now too

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
As I only own the 70 can't say. But it is very fast and extremely sharp...I really love it, especially for portraits.
I would love to see your protrait shots coming out of your Da70. Eagerly waiting for them. That would definitely lower my threshold for reckless spending

As for Alvin, my post in DPR only attracts few responses but I had enough advices to get me going

Is Da 70mm f2.4 faster in AF speed comparing to Fa 77 Ltd?: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Thanks all for the input
01-31-2007, 01:05 PM   #9
Inactive Account

That certainly helps. If nothing is slower than Fa77 ltd focusing speed, Da 70 would certainly be faster for sure. I tried out Fa135 f2.8 a while back and its AF speed is incredible but its purple fringeing rendering to images is just too much to bear...
I think you misunderstand what I meant by speed. The FA77 is an f/1.8 lens. The DA70 is slower, being a f/2.4. This means the FA77 will be able to capture more light. This is called being faster. If your use is low light, then you will want the faster speed of the FA77. This has nothing to do with AF speed.
01-31-2007, 05:01 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ahh I see, you meant fast being bright aperture

I think you misunderstand what I meant by speed. The FA77 is an f/1.8 lens. The DA70 is slower, being a f/2.4. This means the FA77 will be able to capture more light. This is called being faster. If your use is low light, then you will want the faster speed of the FA77. This has nothing to do with AF speed.
I did not realise you meant it that way.

Fa 77 in low light certainly hunts and not that sharp anyway.

I am just trying to justify myself getting a Da70

Cheers

Thanks for your reply
01-31-2007, 05:13 PM   #11
Inactive Account

In fact, the minimal distance being 0.7 m is quite impractical. It makes night club shooting or indoor dim light photography quite difficult because of this minimum focusing distance.
The minimum focus distance of the DA70 and FA77 are identical. If you are looking for reasons to justify a DA70, they are as follows: The DA70 is smaller and has quick-shift focus. The focal length is a bit wider. If you cannot get the FA77 to focus in low light, the DA70 will probably not be able to capture the image at all. Technically, the FA77 is a better lens. Instead of a new lens that is slower (f/2.4) you may just want to get a tripod. That would be a far better solution for low-light as it will give you more 'stops' (act as though the lens if faster).
01-31-2007, 05:32 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
If you cannot get the FA77 to focus in low light, the DA70 will probably not be able to capture the image at all. Technically, the FA77 is a better lens. Instead of a new lens that is slower (f/2.4) you may just want to get a tripod. That would be a far better solution for low-light as it will give you more 'stops' (act as though the lens if faster).
But in the day light setting, Da 70mm will be having faster AF speed than Fa 77 I believe. Correct? I missed faster AF lately. So convinient !

01-31-2007, 08:37 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Daylight AF speed

But in the day light setting, Da 70mm will be having faster AF speed than Fa 77 I believe. Correct?
I don't know.
The advantages of 77 are FF-capability, an aperture ring, speed and 'reputation'. I really doubt that you will get a better picture with a DA70. It would not surprise me if it was slightly worse. If you need faster focus, why don't you just switch to MF?
02-01-2007, 01:13 AM   #14
Inactive Account

-snip-
I don't know about the DA70... Now we are going a little off topic, but just a little. I was interested in the DA70 until I saw the CA and fringe from it. It can be checked both in the official pictures Pentax provided some time back when the lens was introduced and also in the sample pictures Richard Day presented. There is also a question mark for the bright ring bokeh thing. Have a look at Richards pictures here:
Pentax DA 70 mm F2.4 Limited Photo Gallery by Richard Day at pbase.com
Page 1, bottom left picture, bright rings, whirry bokeh, CA
The picture above caused some discussion at DPR at the time. Several pictures are okey (=good or very good) while other are not very good.

Please note that I am looking at the pictures thinking of printing big and with very critical eyes. There is no doubt this is an amazing lens.

I have owned two FA77 lenses. They showed some sample differences with one exhibiting more CA abd also more bright rings. The other one was better. I wonder if it is the same with the DA70. It is also possible that they pushed the design towards resolution knowing that most people are mainly interested in sharpness (and also thinking of the more demanding 10MP sensor).

What I would do is to buy the DA70 before selling a good copy of the FA77, ask for a return possibility and then take the time needed to evaluate the lens and have a look into these details.

My guess is that most users will find the DA70 very useable. And neat. And fast, compared to kit lenses and stuff.

The good chap mentioned above claims that the FA77 and the DA70 produces identical picture quality. I can't agree entirely about that but they are pretty close.

regards,
02-01-2007, 03:00 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Da70 Fa77

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonas B Quote
The good chap mentioned above claims that the FA77 and the DA70 produces identical picture quality. I can't agree entirely about that but they are pretty close.
regards,
I would concur from my extensive research that the FA77 is probably better than the DA70 notwithstanding those who claim they are equally good. For me, I am willing to give up picture quality for a smaller lens to match my DA21 and DA40.
Many others obviously feel differently as my brief comment about thinking of selling it has filled my inbox!