Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-26-2014, 07:37 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Germans do it better!

I've read quite few postings about people complaining about the distracting bokeh produced from their older and newer Pentax primes, like the DA* 55 f1.4 (some seem to prefer the bokeh of the Sigma EX 50mm f1.4). I was reading reviews on the Zeiss Otus 55 f1.4 and 85mm f1.4. The MTF values on both lenses are outstanding, it makes stopping down completely unnecessary. Looking at the images taken with the lenses, I noticed bokeh characteristics that seemed familiar to me as a Pentax shooter. I know that SMC and T* coatings were developed in tandem some decades ago. In my eyes there seem to be underlying commonalities in IQ and character. (the below picture was taken with the Otus 55mm f1.4, which reminds me of my Pentax-F 50mm f1.4 rendering) The DA* 55 might not match Otus' sharpness wide open but it's reassuring to see how much their respective images are alike. All for a modest 1/10 of the price.

Order of appearance: Otus 55_f1.4 @f1.4, Pentax-F 50mm f1.4 @f1.8, Pentax Da* 55mm f1.4 @ f5.6

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D800E  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by Stavri; 09-26-2014 at 08:40 PM.
09-27-2014, 07:38 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

None of these images is sharp on my monitor. If this is representative of what the Otus can do wide open then I'm far from impressed.
Maybe it is the processing for web?
09-27-2014, 07:45 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
For $4,000 it better make me coffee in the morning and a quick kiss before I go off to work.
09-27-2014, 09:26 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
There is nothing here that helps me compare or contrast these lenses. Only the same image taken under identical circumstances mounted on the same body would begin to be a fair methodology.

09-27-2014, 10:41 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DevKom Quote
There is nothing here that helps me compare or contrast these lenses. Only the same image taken under identical circumstances mounted on the same body would begin to be a fair methodology.
I'm willing to conduct a scientific comparison if someone can lend me $4000....
09-27-2014, 04:21 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DevKom Quote
For the bokeh the same scene with every lenses would be a good start.
09-27-2014, 05:03 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I notice softness in the focus of these photographs. They are not at the optimum they could be.

Bokeh is fine....but there's a balance between a nice 'bokeh'd' background and a sharp photograph. My suggestion...start at F 8....then using the same subject, angle, lighting... work through different F stops, click shutter.

Look at the results and that will help you determine the best balance....bokeh...sharpness... with any particular lens .

Regarding your title...'Germans do it better'. I don't agree.

I've got and use Zeiss and Leitz lenses, also Pentax/Takumar lenses. Mostly, they're all good. Don't assume because a lens is made in Germany that it's therefore better than one made elsewhere.