Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2008, 08:35 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
LBA: DA10-17mm Fisheye

Here are a few early pics from my newest LBA. I did some light editing with Irfanview (that's all I have here at work).

I haven't done much in the way of testing for sharpness, but I love the amount of distortion you get at 10mm. I guess that is what the 'fisheye' effect is all about. I'm still trying to figure out how people can complain about distortion on a fisheye lens...

One thing I did notice was some pretty bad PF in high contrast situations (seen in the first 3 pics). Stopping down a few clicks seems to get rid of it. At F4.5 it's there, but at 5.6 it's pretty much gone. Even though it was very bright out yesterday at lunchtime, I was surprised at how well this lens performed with the bright overhead sun. I did get it to flare in one pic, but even that wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

10mm @ F5 (some PF around the lights on the right)

10mm @ F4.5 (much PF here)

17mm @ F5

10mm @ F8

I think I'm going to like this lens. As long as obvious the PF situations are avoided, it seems to produce some pretty clean images. While I'm not sure whether the amount of use it'll get justifies its price tag ($399.95 @ Buydig.com), it's going to be fun to play with and I'm sure it'll be useful in certain situations. It's such a unique lens that I know I'd regret not having it if I got rid of it. In fact, it's more likely that I will try to create situations where I can put it to good use. The trick is in not overdoing it......which is easy to do with a lens that's this much fun.

05-14-2008, 09:16 AM   #2
Veteran Member

If I don't get the Sigma 10-20, I've actually thought about getting this fisheye. It looks like a lot of fun. Since I've already used the 10-20, I might see about renting the 10-17 to see if I would like using a fisheye lens.

Other than the PF, I like the church interior pic the best.

Heather
05-14-2008, 09:22 AM   #3
Veteran Member

i have both a fisheye (the zenitar) and the sigma 10-20

TWO VERY DIFFERENT LENSES

the sigma does not have ANY barrel distortion, its a rectilinear lens, and is thus very good for use for indoor and architecture

the fisheye has its uses as well, its used to emphasize space where there is little space, fills the space with its fisheye properties particularly emphasizing what is in the center, as opposed to a rectilinear lens which STRETCHES the picture away from the center.

DO NOT compare these two lenses, and get both if you can..
05-14-2008, 09:29 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I have the 10-17 and it is likley the one lens I would not trade in or sell. I sold my 12-24 (I debated the 10-17 just could not part with it). It offers some very creative shot opertunites and it is just downright fun! That said I do have sellers remorse on the 12-24 and will be looking at the Sigma 10-20 or wait for some of the new Wide Angles to come out.

Those are great pics Max. I love the Basetball court and the church. I think you will have fun with this lens. It offers some many creative pics! Enjoy.

05-14-2008, 09:43 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Played around with mine last weekend. Wonderful little lens.

10mm, f/8
05-14-2008, 10:41 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
A part of me just couldn't justify the cost of this lens compared to the Zenitar. The issue with the Zenitar is that the cropped sensor really reduces the amount of distortion, which defeats the purpose of getting a fisheye in the first place. The 8mm Peleng is the other FE option. At ~12mm or so, it's great on the cropped sensor, but costs about the same and doesn't have the zoom versatility of the 10-17.

BTW, I have a 17mm Takumar FE on the way that I assume it will be similar to the Zenitar, only slower at F4 (as opposed to the Zen's F2.8).
05-14-2008, 04:56 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Congrats on the latest addition to the family! I bought mine last year and it is a lot of fun to use. Witness the picture below. My friend wanted me to take a few pics of a van he is selling. I just knew it was a perfect excuse to use the fisheye. Puts a whole new and exciting perspective on the old Dodge!

Last edited by J.Scott; 03-30-2009 at 03:27 AM.
05-14-2008, 05:40 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
i have both a fisheye (the zenitar) and the sigma 10-20

TWO VERY DIFFERENT LENSES

the sigma does not have ANY barrel distortion, its a rectilinear lens, and is thus very good for use for indoor and architecture

the fisheye has its uses as well, its used to emphasize space where there is little space, fills the space with its fisheye properties particularly emphasizing what is in the center, as opposed to a rectilinear lens which STRETCHES the picture away from the center.

DO NOT compare these two lenses, and get both if you can..
We've had this post before - and you can compare them, as you just did. Compare doesn't mean they are "the same".
05-14-2008, 07:29 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Not a direct comparison, but I was curious as to how the DA10-17 and Sigma 17-70 differed at 17mm. I also included a few shots taken with the 10-17 at different focal lengths. All pics were taken from the exact same spot and focused on the same point.

Sigma 17-70 @17mm

DA10-17 @17mm

DA10-17 @14mm

DA10-17 @12mm

DA10-17 @10mm
05-14-2008, 07:54 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
We've had this post before - and you can compare them, as you just did. Compare doesn't mean they are "the same".
no, you cant

if you want a wide angle fish eye lens, you have a selection of fish eye lenses

if you want a wide angle rectalinear lens, you have a selection of wide angle rectalinear lenses

its like comparing traveling via plane vs train, you get completly different experiences. If you want to go into semantics of the word "compare" you can.. by all means, but its a silly argument.
05-14-2008, 08:51 PM   #11
Veteran Member

love that lens.....it was an impulse buy, and well, an unregrettable impulse buy
05-14-2008, 09:15 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I love the lens for Monkey Business....

05-14-2008, 10:55 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Congradulation on this very special lens from pentax.

05-15-2008, 05:16 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by -=JoN=- Quote
love that lens.....it was an impulse buy, and well, an unregrettable impulse buy
Same for me. I thought maybe I had made a mistake....until I used it.

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
I love the lens for Monkey Business....
LOL! There's a LOT of monkey business going on there.

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Congradulation on this very special lens from pentax.
Indeed it is!

I love it when folks come to your aid and approve of a LBA purchase.
05-15-2008, 05:17 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Oh look... purple fringing!

And you need to clean your sensor.